Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dev, Vickers: Rockbrae House?

Comment

Thanks for the comment htp , as a matter of interest my relative was last seen alive when he left a barrack's in Clonmel in the company of another Officer . As far as we know they were captured somewhere near Barne and their remain's were found buried in a field in an place called Tullaghmellan , both had been shot multiple time's .[Q
      UOTE][/QUOTE]
      Its ok..we know a man who can look into it...
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Not 100% sure but don't think so, the blocks to the right of the door aren't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua View Post
          Dev, Vickers: Rockbrae House?
          Originally posted by DeV View Post
          Not 100% sure but don't think so, the blocks to the right of the door aren't there.
          I agree with Dev. As far as I remember Rockbrae House only has one window to the right of the door.
          "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

Correct Vickers

Comment

Originally posted by cruisedub View Post
              I don't know where in Dundmrm it was taken , I've tried matching old pictures with the doorway and window's in the picture of my father but no luck . My father actullay lived in Windy Arbour across the road from the entrance to Dundrum Asylum , next to what was Doyle's garage . A lot of my relative's are buried in St Nahis graveyard just off the Churchtown Road .
              small world I work in asylum now and grand father and my father lived not too far away in frankford our grandfathers probably knew each other well byrne from teach mhuire frankford avenue I think

Comment

Dundrum War of Independence

Great pictures Cruisedub.
                Im currently trying to do some research into the War of Independence in South County Dublin and Dundrum would have featured quite prominently in terms of activity back then. The men from Dundrum area were 'A' Coy of the Sixth Battalion IRA and there strength would have numbered around 50. I have the names and ranks of a few local men and was wondering if yourself or Krustybob might have any more info you could share on your relatives or that period if at all possible.
                Kind regards,
                J

Comment

Originally posted by jaykev View Post
                  Great pictures Cruisedub.
                  Im currently trying to do some research into the War of Independence in South County Dublin and Dundrum would have featured quite prominently in terms of activity back then. The men from Dundrum area were 'A' Coy of the Sixth Battalion IRA and there strength would have numbered around 50. I have the names and ranks of a few local men and was wondering if yourself or Krustybob might have any more info you could share on your relatives or that period if at all possible.
                  Kind regards,
                  J
                  My relatives name was George L. Cruise and as far as we can tell he served in the 1st Battllion , Bcoy South Dublin Brigade . Another of my relatives by marriage served with the Old I.R.A. and was given a military funeral when he died , his name was James "jimmy" O"Connor, he owned a barber shop in Donnybrook which was located opposite the Garda station , I dont know which unit he served in .

Comment

Some more photos I thought I would add to the thread .These are from my nephews time in Liberia

Click image for larger version

Name:	airport 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	696821

Name:	CamPic19.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	696822

Name:	lads.jpg