But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Our current Lowe Alpine bergen has its pros and its cons.
        PROS
        1/ It is a lot more versatile than the old PLCE pack,
        2/You can carry a full daysack INSIDE the bergen and not under the lid where it is unstable.
        3/ You dont have to unpack everything to get to your sleeping system as it has a separate compartment for it.
        4/it has a fully adjustable back system and a proper waistbelt to spread the load evenly between shoulders and hips.
        5/Its IP-DPM.

CONS
        1/Too many straps(tape em up once you have them just right!)
        2/ Too complicated for many ordinary soldiers.
        3/ Too big for the MOWAGS(nice testing there)
        4/ If you dont know what you are doing and dont adjust it properly it will be all over the place.

Oh, one last thing.Our battlevests were designed by Lowe to work with the new Bergen.Thats what the two clips on the lower side adjustings straps on the vest are for.You open them when the bergen(or daysack) is worn and pull the sides of the vest out over the waistbelt when its fastened.Other vests dont have that feature.
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Ha ha the ol 58 Handbag!

Hmm I might have a look at the vulcan.

Problem I had with the PLCE was the lack of lower back padding.

That MMR is gooch in extremus! OG with tan clips is odd though!
          "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

On a more serious note I've used both short and long back PLCE and both are brutal ( yes in the end they will both kick your ass) because the hip belt is absolutely useless.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Welcome back Duffman,

For some reasons when I read your posts the voice in my head changes to the duffman character

(oh yeah). likewise when I read JNS's posts the voice becomes either patti or selma
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                That MMR is gooch in extremus! OG with tan clips is odd though!
                I think it's the case that if you order the MMR, they build it to your spec, so I imagine you'd get the clips you want. Those tan clips look bonk.

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                  On a more serious note I've used both short and long back PLCE and both are brutal ( yes in the end they will both kick your ass) because the hip belt is absolutely useless.
                  I thought it was just me.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                    I have one without frame, way too small and extremely uncomfortable!
                    Would it work without a frame?

It does stick out, but with frame I found it suited me great. Mind you, I am shaped like a deformed hobbit!
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

It does.... uncomfortably!

Comment

Originally posted by trellheim View Post
                        i've never ever ever ever known any of our lads to use the hip belt except on a fitness Tab but certainly never on operations or exercise. we usually leave it on there so we don't get billed when we hand it back in but nobody ever uses it.

no point having quick release shoulder straps if its coupled around your waist too.

i most often only use the hip belt during flotation exercises and river crossings, or with the bergen upside down while abseiling with it.
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 18 January 2011, 03:25.
                        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          i've never ever ever ever known any of our lads to use the hip belt except on a fitness Tab but certainly never on operations or exercise. we usually leave it on there so we don't get billed when we hand it back in but nobody ever uses it.
                          I don't remember the waist belt being detachable on the old OG PLCE backpack, if you didn't close it you had a, wing like, hip pad sticking out each side. Quick release shoulder straps are also a new one on me. Maybe as CSS we were left with an older version, but don't recall ever seeing different ones being used by the Inf Battlions
                          CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

our hip belts are also not detachable REX - i meant we don't cut them off and instead fasten them the opposite way around the front of the bergen. lads who own their own bergens often cut them off.

our PLCE bergens have always (even the old green one from the 90's) had Quick Release buckles on both shoulders. most of us super-glue one of them inplace (personal preference which one) for the best of both worlds incase both QR buckles should ever accidentally release.
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I had my own BA type (the DF ones were slightly different in that they had a few Modifications) OG PLCE bergen back in my FCA days.The shoulder straps had ladderlock buckles on them.Is that what you are on about?Or did the 95 Ptn DPM bergen have different ones?
                              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                                Welcome back Duffman,

For some reasons when I read your posts the voice in my head changes to the duffman character
                                Hedgie I'm just waiting for a topic on hydration to come up to spring into action with the classic "That brown patch needs some H2OOOH YEAH"

On that point, when one of our posters actually turns out to be female you immediately have to re-assess the tone of their emails (right after trying to find out if they are hot).

Decided to go with the sabre. Seems the best of the lot. Thanks for reccomendations
                                "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Working...
                                X