Looking for a good backpack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
    I'm looking for a good backpack, ruck sack , bergin or whatever the hell you want to call it!

Need something with a good bit of lower back support and decent padding. I had the webtex ultimax for years and thats great but clips have finaly gone on it so time for a change!

I wanted to get a Lowe Alpine Saracen 120L in OD but nowhere seems to do them anymore.

Any other decent bags along the lines of the lowe alpine saracen?
    I was in lowe alpine in tullamore about 2 weeks ago and all military packs were half price, including the saracen.

Re the issue pack being too complicated -its just that most troops have never had them fitted properly by someone who was trained properly by lowe on how to fit them, which is the root of most problems I've encountered. Having said all that the back system is about 5 or 6 years behind lowes civvy designs, but that's the nature of military kit.

Never tried the military cyclops but the civvie one is rock solid.

Comment

Where is the lowe apine store? Iv only seen them on rvops but they were big enough money? Would love the saracen in og, i got the sabre daysack on sale in sligo for about 40 if i remember rightly! What sort of money is the saracen?
      Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northie View Post
        Re the issue pack being too complicated -its just that most troops have never had them fitted properly by someone who was trained properly by lowe on how to fit them, which is the root of most problems I've encountered.
        I have a Saracen in OG, and to get the correct measurement for back length I went into great outdoors and got one of the staff there to measure using the fancy measuring stick thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
          Where is the lowe apine store? Iv only seen them on rvops but they were big enough money? Would love the saracen in og, i got the sabre daysack on sale in sligo for about 40 if i remember rightly! What sort of money is the saracen?
          Out the Portarlington Road, its in the retail park thingy opposite the Aura leisure centre, beside tullamore tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
            About €120-150 if I remember correctly. They are also open on sundays.

Comment

Sounds good would they do mail order does anyone know?

Comment

Re the issue pack being too complicated -its just that most troops have never had them fitted properly by someone who was trained properly by lowe on how to fit them, which is the root of most problems I've encountered. Having said all that the back system is about 5 or 6 years behind lowes civvy designs, but that's the nature of military kit.
                Eh,beg to differ there mate.All clothing stores personel country wide were trained up on how to size the issue Bergens by Lowe alpine and the Ordnance corps at a seminar in 2007.All stores have a Lowe Alpine "measuring stick".All Bergens come with a guide to adjusting them.
                Now having said all that having used mine on courses and exercises since '07 i can still say they are too complicated.Too many straps that arent needed and the removable side pouches are a waste of time as we are issued a daysack.We would have been better off going for the LA SAMSON.Same model as used by the Wing.Four fixed side pouches but the same capacity as the saracen.Easier to pack your kit to hand.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Ordered the saracen from lowe alpine this morning missed the last og by about 10 mins so had to settle for a brit dpm one!! Think a fellow imoer beat me to it

Comment

Actually(and heres a bit of usefull info if anyone starts whinging about it being BA DPM) its Dutch DPM not British.Similar but different.The dutch issue the saracen to their lads too.
                    Attached Files
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                      Actually(and heres a bit of usefull info if anyone starts whinging about it being BA DPM) its Dutch DPM not British.Similar but different.The dutch issue the saracen to their lads too.
                      Thats some look your man is sporting, DPM, Red Beret, Camo Face and Sunglasses......
                      But there's no danger
                      It's a professional career
                      Though it could be arranged
                      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                      If you're out of luck you're out of work
                      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

Originally posted by turbocalves View Post
                        Thats some look your man is sporting, DPM, Red Beret, Camo Face and Sunglasses......
                        That would be maroon beret..

Comment

Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
                          That would be maroon beret..
                          Shit, I better go into hiding for such a mistake!
                          But there's no danger

Comment

Shit, I better go into hiding for such a mistake!
                            Don't hate.

Comment

I might be alright he's Dutch, If he was a UK para, I may need to worry!
                              But there's no danger

Comment

I might be alright he's Dutch, If he was a UK para, I may need to worry!
                                Probably just as nails as the "Maroon Machine"
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X