Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Presumably the tender process means that using the charter company means the DF has less worries.
    After the issue with the Helicopters in Chad they will leave it to the Pros.
    we do exactly the same thing when we don't have Air Troopers available - we went to Canada with Air Berlin and came back with Thomas Cook.

what the Irish DF are doing makes perfect, cost effective sense.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Presumably the tender process means that using the charter company means the DF has less worries.
      After the issue with the Helicopters in Chad they will leave it to the Pros.
      The helicopters in Chad were also chartered from Air Partner.
      http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-1484193.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
        The helicopters in Chad were also chartered from Air Partner.
        http://www.independent.ie/national-n...k-1484193.html
        oops!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• are the Irish DF not deploying any air assets to UNIFIL?
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Now now RGJ..and you were doing so well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
              Now now RGJ..and you were doing so well.
              no - seriously.

i take that as a no then.

what about UAV's? great bit of kit in the observation role and would be quite useful out there i would imagine.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                no - seriously.

i take that as a no then.

what about UAV's? great bit of kit in the observation role and would be quite useful out there i would imagine.
                Not really, as they would being constant danger of colliding with the I.D.F. ones (the other I.D.F. not the Irish one )

Connaught Stranger

Comment

• Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
                  Not really, as they would being constant danger of colliding with the I.D.F. ones (the other I.D.F. not the Irish one )

Connaught Stranger
                  surely the UN must have some rights when it comes to deploying UAV's over their own AOR?
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

surely the UN must have some rights when it comes to deploying UAV's over their own AOR?
                    Thats part of the problem when the A.O. is sandwiched smack up against an International border such as between Northern Israel & Southern Lebanon, and also a reason for U.N.I.F.I.L. to be targeted by the "Hezzies" who don't want anybody to know what they are up to in the area.

Connaught Stranger.

Comment

are the Irish DF not deploying any air assets to UNIFIL?
                      ITALAIR provided any necessary air assets to UNIFIL in the past.
                      The Beauty of UN missions like this is each contingint bring the assets they are best capable of providing, to make a composite formation.
                      In the past Ireland provided transport or Logs formations to Somalia and Kosovo. There was definitely a unit made up of just MPs in KFOR also.

Comment

• fear of attack from observing one of the factions is not a reason not to deploy such assets - surely it is the very reason to deploy such assets in the first instance.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Didn't we buy our UAV's off the Israelis?

Comment

fear of attack from observing one of the factions is not a reason not to deploy such assets - surely it is the very reason to deploy such assets in the first instance.
                            Jaysus RG, it isn't attacking them we are worried about, its bumping off them that's the problem.

Your questions can all be answered by MANDATE MANDATE MANDATE.

Comment

There was definitely a unit made up of just MPs in KFOR also.
                              It was IFOR/SFOR

Comment

Jaysus RG, it isn't attacking them we are worried about, its bumping off them that's the problem.

Your questions can all be answered by MANDATE MANDATE MANDATE.
                                i know Goldie - the rules out there are not set by the Irish DF and what they have but can't deploy does not reflect on the Irish DF's capability.

we've only touched the iceberg and i'm going to leave it at that as i can already see why i hate UN missions.

i'm sure the lads will make the most of any asset in any situation anyhow.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X