Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
    EOD Duros are armoured. Would they not send them if there was a threat of special treatment?
    of course there is a threat and therefore that's why you send soldiers and not civvies, but two attacks in 3 years is hardly high tempo operations against the UN that calls into question a bit of high vis paint on a vehicle (apologies - i thought it was MOWAG and not a Duro).
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      of course there is a threat and therefore that's why you send soldiers and not civvies, but two attacks in 3 years is hardly high tempo operations against the UN that calls into question a bit of high vis paint on a vehicle (apologies - i thought it was MOWAG and not a Duro).
      Dont mowag make the Duro?

So that makes you right, or both of us wrong
      But there's no danger
      It's a professional career
      Though it could be arranged
      With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
      If you're out of luck you're out of work
      We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

• Crossed wires RGJ.

The EOD vehicle in the pic above is an unarmoured(I think) Scania. My point was that if they had deemed the threat level high enough would they not have sent the armoured Duro EOD vehicles instead. Although I'm not aware of their actual availability, given they were supposedly unpopular/unreliable in Kosovo.

I'm actually with you though, there seems to be a lot of second guessing threat levels on here over said hi vis paint.

Comment

• For Rhodes:

Only pic I could find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOWAG_Duro

Little piece there regarding their reliability issues in Irish service. Though it is wikipedia. Pinch of salt and all that.

Comment

• yeah sorry lads - i went off on a tangent about MOWAG Piranha and not MOWAG Duro however it's actually a Scania lol.

anyhow - there is a real threat out there and i'm glad the Irish DF are going well equipped from the outset but lets just be realistic about the threat.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• They must have changed their minds on the CRV's going out.I didnt see any in the pics.Unless theirs a second lift?
              "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                They must have changed their minds on the CRV's going out.I didnt see any in the pics.Unless theirs a second lift?
                There is a number of CRVs on the ship as far as I know but no MRVs.

Comment

• Discover UNIFIL is a series of short video’s about the operation of different sections of UNIFIL. The 2 videos about the UNIFIL Maritime Task Force give good info on a part of the Force that does not make the headlines.

Comment

• Got your pont HH re white and UN visibility so why not all soldiers wear , Pink bunny suits, yellow big bird or whatever ( there may be a few left at the ARUS) as well and then everyone will know who they are.Look cool with the Vikink lanyard..
                    Iworked for the UN as a civvy in a very unstable country.. UNDSS rules required use of UN white vehicles etc however on long trips to areas that I deemed were more dangerous I use to hire a mark two cortina , complete with driver and a couple of AKs ( M2 cortina was the most common local vehicle) and drive behind the white car convoys,. Much safer lower profile etc But UNIFIL HAS A JOB TO DO . Just hope there rae no Irish casualties out there.

Comment

• I think there seems to be different rules regarding colours depending on the type of mission. I can clearly remember a recent UN mission (can't remember which though) where no vehicles were white, although the crew wore blue helmets and flakkers, and the vehicles bore the UN crest.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldie fish View Post
                        i think there seems to be different rules regarding colours depending on the type of mission. I can clearly remember a recent un mission (can't remember which though) where no vehicles were white, although the crew wore blue helmets and flakkers, and the vehicles bore the un crest.
                        minurcat?

Comment

• That was Chad.The vehicles had been shipped out from Irelans in their normal livery for the EUFOR mission.When Ireland stayed on and the mission changed to MINURCAT they remained in National colours,albeit with UN decals and flags,because the facilities to respray them were not available in Camp ciara.
                          "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/de/...date=6/12/2011 8:41:06 PM

check out the 360 deg turn on Jun 12!!!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                              http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/de/...date=6/12/2011 8:41:06 PM

check out the 360 deg turn on Jun 12!!!
                              two of them - one in the morning and one in the evening, must have been a snap ambush before stand-to to make sure they weren't being followed.

good drills
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• MOB drill

Comment

Working...
                                X