No announcement yet.

Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And here is an interview we did with the famous Mick Mulcahy: http://youtu.be/tDqmm65Y7lU It was done in the Irish House in Naquora.
    Last edited by Mick O'Toole; 9 November 2013, 17:08.
    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      Platoon commander tells of life keeping peace at border post

Watch videos of heartfelt messages from our brave soldiers fighting for justice in some of the most inhospitable places in the world

is not shaving a theater cultural thing or likely some other individual reason?
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
        For medical reasons.

Comment

So you have never visited HMS Belfast then?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            So you have never visited HMS Belfast then?
            yes i have - but what has that got to do with a soldier from ONH not shaving in Lebanon?

let's have the tedious link.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

yes i have - but what has that got to do with a soldier from ONH not shaving in Lebanon?

let's have the tedious link.
              Tedious, or tenuous?

Prince Albert decreed that due to the shortage of water aboard ship, and the injuries and foul language as a result of shaving, then HM Victoria's seamen would not be required to shave aboard ship. It is all explained in a diorama aboard Belfast.

Similar reasons persist.
              It has been well documented on this site in the past.

Does it prevent the person doing their job properly? No.

Comment

• More than likely Medically excused. end off.

Comment

• Possibly Movember maybe? it has been allowed in the past (officially it could be medical reasons)

Comment

• Does it matter?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                      Tedious, or tenuous?

Prince Albert decreed that due to the shortage of water aboard ship, and the injuries and foul language as a result of shaving, then HM Victoria's seamen would not be required to shave aboard ship. It is all explained in a diorama aboard Belfast.

Similar reasons persist.
                      It has been well documented on this site in the past.

Does it prevent the person doing their job properly? No.
                      definitely tedious after that analogy.

i highly doubt it is a lack of water in the camp that led to this guy not shaving - particularly given his access to Twitter, Barry's Tea and Tayto.

i was simply interested to see if it might have been because of a similar cultural understanding being implemented like our guys used to do in Afghan.

however from my own experience as a soldier - i would totally agree with you that not shaving (except in a CBRN environment) doesn't prevent a person from doing their job properly - i am surprised you had to question yourself on that one.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

i was simply interested
                        Great shame but as usual you are simply interested in stirring it

Comment

• Shite sorry meant to like that haha
                          Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

• given that the rest of the soldiers in that base were shaven, and life support didn't seem to be an issue as the troops had the comfort of being able to use their laptops, had Internet access and received packages from DHL - it was either going to be an individual reason or a cultural one, and i just wondered if it might have been the latter.

given some of the genuine helpful answers received - it is clear that the only relevance not shaving might have to HMS Belfast might be in the form of a trip to the sick bay for a shaving rash and not a lack of water.

the individuals ability to do his job was never in question and he is obviously a professional soldier doing a great job out there.

it was a genuine question to which Crag and Dev gave a likely answer, so thank you.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• RJG is right. That unshaven individual presented a poor image. He did not look professional and did not sound professional and certainly did not reflect the normally high
                              standards we normally associate with our soldiers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                                RJG is right. That unshaven individual presented a poor image. He did not look professional and did not sound professional and certainly did not reflect the normally high
                                standards we normally associate with our soldiers.
                                Nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X