Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paul View Post
    They "have to" wear the tan magnum's.
    so they going in Desert Cam or Woodland Cam?

surely they can wear any desert boot they wish, so holdfast will get to wear his fine boots on Ops?
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
      so they going in Desert Cam or Woodland Cam?

surely they can wear any desert boot they wish, so holdfast will get to wear his fine boots on Ops?
      Gonna be in what they were in a decade ago.

Yes and no. They can wear whatever they like but, if anything happens the df will just say, you weren't wearing what we gave you, so look after yourself (excact wording used to tell someone I know leaving for there)
      Last edited by paul; 19 June 2011, 19:03.
      Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

• Eist le seo-

This may be of interest to lads who want to know what the Leb was like

or even to lads just heading out on the next trip,

Its a clip starting around the 30 min or so mark that gives a really good account of any given

night in sunny south Lebanon.

I would really appreciate it if that well known tall tale teller RGJ made no comment,

Last edited by Vickers; 20 January 2013, 12:11.
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post

I would really appreciate it if that well known tall tale teller RGJ made no comment,

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.h...iscellany.smil

did i miss something?

Comment

• Originally posted by dahamster View Post
            did i miss something?
            You don't want to know
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by dahamster View Post
              did i miss something?
              Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              You don't want to know
              MOD: You did but no you don't. I have already handed out points and while I am in the mood I have no problem in handing out more!
              "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Further to the Sun keepin us posted on UNIFIL, The Star is running a weekly update from
                one of the lads over there.

So even though our national broadcaster or indo have little on the subject,
                the tabloids are putting in the effort. And i'ld have to put it down to the british
                connections the papers have. UK are doing their part to keep soldiers in the public
                eye, least they forget about what they're doing & hopefully the trend extends
                to these shores...
                Life's short, party naked :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad P View Post
                  Further to the Sun keepin us posted on UNIFIL, The Star is running a weekly update from
                  one of the lads over there.

So even though our national broadcaster or indo have little on the subject,
                  the tabloids are putting in the effort. And i'ld have to put it down to the british
                  connections the papers have. UK are doing their part to keep soldiers in the public
                  eye, least they forget about what they're doing & hopefully the trend extends
                  to these shores...
                  i'm with you on that mate, whilst the quality of the tabloids is nothing to write home about they are bringing the forces (on both sides of the Irish Sea) into the public domain, at the breakfast table, in the coffee room, on the train home and in the evenings.

it's what we all need, we have enjoyed such coverage for a few years now and it's really good to see the effort being put into the Irish DF by these papers.

be warned though - when things go wrong, the tabloids will be happy to throw you to the dogs if its a story that sells.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog
                    I recieved points for pointing out with evidence that RGJ is what is known in the trade

as a big dirty liar who should never be believed again.

To be fair to the MODS they have a difficult job to do and I accept my points

because they insulted the big dirty liar-

I should stress that the MODS have my full confidence because without them the place

would be anarchy with clowns like RGJ able to spout their lies with impunity.

Keep up the good work MODS-
                    what's any of that got to do with UNIFIL?

dry your eyes hedgie.

anyhow back on topic, are the articles in the Irish Sun and Star decent ones? are they actually interviewing soldiers and have full co-operation of the Irish DF press office or what?
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

?
                      You lied about it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

dry your eyes hedgie.

anyhow back on topic, are the articles in the Irish Sun and Star decent ones? are they actually interviewing soldiers and have full co-operation of the Irish DF press office or what?
                        Well you asked me a question and whilst I am trying to stay on topic it would be rude to ignore you;

You lied about our service in Lebanon purely because you were under pressure

in the thread about America and pressure being applied on us to go to fight your war

in Afghanistan (You still havent gone yet- but you want the Irish Defence Forces to go)

and then you do this to the poor tabloids:

warned though - when things go wrong, the tabloids will be happy to throw you to the dogs if its a story that sells.

Surely you did the very same- or are you going to deny that as well.

Anyway back to the topic at hand

A mate of mine out there on the advance party tells me that the weather is unseasonbly hot and they are all suffering,

Comment

• I would suggest anyone who wants to know what the Leb was like in olden days should listen to the clip in post 153 - its around the 30 min mark.

Comment

• Not going to get into a tabloids debate, done that too often.
                            But I will say that every time I go abroad to see the Defence Forces at work I am hugely impressed, nay humbled, by them.
                            We knocked, unanounced, and they were hospitable in the extreme, even though they were up to their tonsils. I think they had an idea we might be arriving, but nevertheless, they were extremely accommodating to us.
                            Villagers I spoke to in Tibnin were genuinely delighted the Irish were comingg back.
                            The shopkeepers were, obviousy, happy - but the ordinary people on the street were over the moon.
                            That's clearly a testament to all those who have served there before.
                            So, respect.
                            This needs to be said more often: the DF really are a great credit to our country, internationally, in their comportment and attitude to those they have been sent to protect.
                            Good luck to all the lads arriving tomorrow.
                            www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                              Eist le seo-

This may be of interest to lads who want to know what the Leb was like

or even to lads just heading out on the next trip,

I may have in the past said some nasty things about Tom Clonan

but either age has me softer or he is getting better in his old days,

its a clip starting around the 30 min or so mark that gives a really good account of any given

night in sunny south Lebanon.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.h...iscellany.smil
                              Well worth listening to.. excellent piece... brought back memories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dublinmick View Post
                                Villagers I spoke to in Tibnin were genuinely delighted the Irish were comingg back.
                                of course they are delighted they are coming back, as i stated many times before which seems to have been ignored - the Irish DF did great things there.

but they did leave.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X