Thanks Thanks:  357
Likes Likes:  447
Dislikes Dislikes:  13
Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Unifil(3)

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjock View Post
    Now now RGJ..and you were doing so well.
    no - seriously.

i take that as a no then.

what about UAV's? great bit of kit in the observation role and would be quite useful out there i would imagine.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    no - seriously.

i take that as a no then.

what about UAV's? great bit of kit in the observation role and would be quite useful out there i would imagine.
    Not really, as they would being constant danger of colliding with the I.D.F. ones (the other I.D.F. not the Irish one )

Connaught Stranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    Not really, as they would being constant danger of colliding with the I.D.F. ones (the other I.D.F. not the Irish one )

Connaught Stranger
    surely the UN must have some rights when it comes to deploying UAV's over their own AOR?
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    surely the UN must have some rights when it comes to deploying UAV's over their own AOR?
    Thats part of the problem when the A.O. is sandwiched smack up against an International border such as between Northern Israel & Southern Lebanon, and also a reason for U.N.I.F.I.L. to be targeted by the "Hezzies" who don't want anybody to know what they are up to in the area.

Connaught Stranger.

Post Thanks / Like
    are the Irish DF not deploying any air assets to UNIFIL?
    ITALAIR provided any necessary air assets to UNIFIL in the past.
    The Beauty of UN missions like this is each contingint bring the assets they are best capable of providing, to make a composite formation.
    In the past Ireland provided transport or Logs formations to Somalia and Kosovo. There was definitely a unit made up of just MPs in KFOR also.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    fear of attack from observing one of the factions is not a reason not to deploy such assets - surely it is the very reason to deploy such assets in the first instance.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't we buy our UAV's off the Israelis?

Post Thanks / Like
    fear of attack from observing one of the factions is not a reason not to deploy such assets - surely it is the very reason to deploy such assets in the first instance.
    Jaysus RG, it isn't attacking them we are worried about, its bumping off them that's the problem.

Your questions can all be answered by MANDATE MANDATE MANDATE.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    There was definitely a unit made up of just MPs in KFOR also.
    It was IFOR/SFOR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Jaysus RG, it isn't attacking them we are worried about, its bumping off them that's the problem.

Your questions can all be answered by MANDATE MANDATE MANDATE.
    i know Goldie - the rules out there are not set by the Irish DF and what they have but can't deploy does not reflect on the Irish DF's capability.

we've only touched the iceberg and i'm going to leave it at that as i can already see why i hate UN missions.

i'm sure the lads will make the most of any asset in any situation anyhow.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did I say anything about fear?

Peacekeeping Missions do NOT follow the same ground rules as combat missions,

at this point in time U.N.I.F.I.L. are regulated to where and what particular jobs they can do in their A.O.s in some cases nothing unless accompanied by the local Lebanese military.

that said, by the time you got a U.A.V. up, and in such a close confined space as the A.O. all in sundry would know about it and the area would remain quiet until the toys were put away.

ITALIAIR operating Hueys, were primarily a source of MEDEVAC for most of the time in U.N.I.F.I.L. if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think there were any fixed wing assets allocated to U.N.I.F.I.L. anything such as planes would be on the IDF watch list for fear it might be a terrorist infiltration, the PLO had launched infiltration by Hot Air Balloon and motorized hang-gliders in the past.

Connaught Stranger.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a white Huey over Tibnin yesterday.
    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real reason we're not deploying air assets is because we don't really have many
    and they're not gonna risk them when we can just as easily borrow off everyone else..

Once it doesn't get too political that is!!
    Life's short, party naked :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad P View Post
    The real reason we're not deploying air assets is because ...they're not gonna risk them when we can just as easily borrow off everyone else..

Once it doesn't get too political that is!!
    i know what you mean but - it's not really the right attitude to have when committing troops to an overseas operation, especially when you have those decent air assets and crew at home.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    that said, by the time you got a U.A.V. up, and in such a close confined space as the A.O. all in sundry would know about it and the area would remain quiet until the toys were put away.
    Does that imply then that the role of UNIFIL is to provide a visible deterrent rather than active prevention? ie to make the movement of militants more difficult rather than to actively seek them out based on gathered intelligence?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did the UN request any air support from Ireland?
    Last edited by Orion; 24th June 2011 at 19:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ireland is not in a position to provide any really. There's not the numbers.

I wouldn't imagine any issues with the UAV's operating out there. Man portable and very discreet, they have the radar cross section of a hummingbird. However I'm sure the Israelis have the access to the security protocols and the EM warfare know-how to hack into the feed.

Post Thanks / Like
    by the time you got a U.A.V. up, and in such a close confined space as the A.O. all in sundry would know about it and the area would remain quiet until the toys were put away.
    even to a simple man like me that says one thing - get UAV's up there 24/7 and don't 'put the toys away'.

having a chopper overhead during operations in Northern Ireland was found to be a massive deterrent.

as a result we deployed them over Belfast and Derry on an almost 24/7 basis for that very reason.

it didn't stop everything, but it was very effective, and given the role in UNIFIL, conducting operations that prevent hostile action are surely what should be conducted.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    You cant really send up a small fleet of short ranged weather limited UAV's up on a 24 hr basis, it's just not feasible unfortunately.

Neither are they a visible deterrent like a helicopter. You wouldn't even be aware of their presence. What CS is alluding to is the art of launching one in a confined AO without it becoming public knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like
    fair one JJ, and i wasn't aiming my remarks at the Irish DF alone - surely its something the UN should be pursuing.
    RGJ

The Rifles

Post Thanks / Like
    Does that imply then that the role of UNIFIL is to provide a visible deterrent rather than active prevention? ie to make the movement of militants more difficult rather than to actively seek them out based on gathered intelligence?
    If you read up on the currant U.N.I.F.I.L. mandate, then I don't see anything about U.N.I.F.I.L being allowed to "seek anybody out" in the sovereign territory of Lebanon, the same way as they have not opposed the Israeli military moving through the A.O. down through the years.

Most U.N. Peacekeeping (as opposed to Peace-enforcing) is by being a visible deterrent.

Connaught Stranger

Post Thanks / Like
    fair one JJ, and i wasn't aiming my remarks at the Irish DF alone - surely its something the UN should be pursuing.
    Other nations do have UAV's deployed as far as I'm aware. There are of a more suitable type than the Irish Army's "OVER THE HILL" mini UAV's.

I'm sure that there is a designated sharing of this force asset across AO's by UNIFIL HQ, depending on a perceived threat in any given area.

Fundamentally though, by their very nature any form of UAV is discreet. It is far removed from anything that could provide a visible deterrent.
    Last edited by Jetjock; 24th June 2011 at 20:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    even to a simple man like me that says one thing - get UAV's up there 24/7 and don't 'put the toys away'.

having a chopper overhead during operations in Northern Ireland was found to be a massive deterrent.

as a result we deployed them over Belfast and Derry on an almost 24/7 basis for that very reason.

it didn't stop everything, but it was very effective, and given the role in UNIFIL, conducting operations that prevent hostile action are surely what should be conducted.
    Again two different scenarios, British Forces operating on their sovereign ground against home grown (for the most part) terrorists as opposed to U.N.I.F.I.L. a multi-national "Peacekeeping Force" on a strict U.N.mandate in a foreign sovereign state.

Connaught Stranger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ireland is not in a position to provide any really. There's not the numbers.
    That's what I thought, as an earlier post pointed out UNIFIL is composite in nature.

Custom User Title
    Post Thanks / Like
    You cant really send up a small fleet of short ranged weather limited UAV's up on a 24 hr basis, it's just not feasible unfortunately.

Neither are they a visible deterrent like a helicopter. You wouldn't even be aware of their presence. What CS is alluding to is the art of launching one in a confined AO without it becoming public knowledge.
    The Israelis did it all the time in south Lebanon.. it was the Israelis who started using UAV's initially before the rest of the world at such a scale there in use now..

Although, it was sometimes hard to get a visual, you could hear them when ever they were in the AO.

This type in particular was quite visible when I was there in 95 onwards ..

Last edited by Craghopper; 24th June 2011 at 20:26.

Thread Information