• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
    so it's a new AOR?
    Nop.. back to IRISHBATTS former AOR

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
      Nop.. back to IRISHBATTS former AOR
      so it's been nobody's AOR for nearly the past decade?
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Looking at the map, the area of UN operations looks about the size of Co Louth, would that be right? There seems to be a lot crammed into a relatively small area.
        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Stay on topic. Posts not on topic will be removed and the poster will receive an infraction for ignoring a Moderator warning.
          "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

so it's been nobody's AOR for nearly the past decade?
            I don't know how it has been operating but it has definitely not been nobodies AO for the past decade. The Ghans took over the IRISH AO when we left.. Then the French.

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
              I don't know how it has been operating but it has definitely not been nobodies AO for the past decade. The Ghans took over the IRISH AO when we left.. Then the French.
              so in answer to my own question - it's not a new AOR, and they will be taking over from another nation then.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

so in answer to my own question - it's not a new AOR, and they will be taking over from another nation then.
                No its not a new AO and I don't know who they took over from.

Comment

• i'm a soldier, of course i can read a map - what are you?

i asked the question, and nobody has answered it yet.

so tell me kermit - which country are the Irish DF taking over from?
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by Dublinmick View Post
                    As I sit, three quarters (well, 4/5ths) pissed in a hotel near the Corniche, I am quite enjoying this. Although I have clearly missed something. Is RGJ a Walter?
                    And, back to my original point, the DF are one of thefew parts of Official Ireland not to have let down the people.
                    DOnt tell me you are drinking Al-Maza beer,

So how is the sole representative from the 4th Estate getting on out there-

Any chance that you would take a trip to the Orphanage and take a few pics

and post them on here so that one of the very very very few British Army Infantry Sgts

who couldnt serve /didnt volunteer to serve /didnt go in kicking and screaming to his CO to be allowed serve or just wasnt trusted enough to serve in Afghanistan

can see how we "abandoned" (his words) the place.

The old Shamrock (the original) is further down the road twoards Tibnine than the Shamrock we marched out of- the logs base facing the hills used to be a Dutch camp- then it was Norwegian and then partialy Norweigan and Polish,

It would be interesting to see pictures of Hadatha Junction (old 6-38a) and the Blackholes (old 6-20 +6-20a) and fraggle rock

enjoy your trip- how many is that now DM.
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yVeweUMv8s

Some footage of the lads heading off today.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                        and post them on here so that one of the very very very few British Army Infantry Sgts

who couldnt serve /didnt volunteer to serve /didnt go in kicking and screaming to his CO to be allowed serve or just wasnt trusted enough to serve in Afghanistan.
                        Hedgie if you insist on continuing to drag threads off topic about my service in Afghanistan then i'm happy to enlighten you - every time.

you are obviously only used to working in a very small army Hedgie, that's not your fault.

we have been engaged in 2 conflicts for many years now and i was in Iraq but didn't do Afghan.

for example, there are 5 Battalions in the RIFLES - only three of those battalions have been to Afghan and the forth has just begun it's first tour there now.

so there were 2 whole battalions who haven't sent anyone - that includes SNCO's. so whilst it might be OK in the Irish DF to send Sgts from all over the place - in our Army if your unit doesn't go you don't go. i'll be going back to the Rifles soon enough, and my unit will be going and therefore so will i.

i don't see why you insist on dragging every thread off topic about my service in Afghanistan - if i was a walt and said i did go i would understand but i never have.

whinging to your CO about not going won't get you to Afghan, maybe that is how you ended up there as you are obviously a whinger, but that doesn't work in our army mate.

i'll be there in about the next 6 months so what's the big deal?

there are no doubt hundreds of Sgts, particularly from units who have not yet deployed to Afhgan who have not served in Afghanistan yet - any medals parade will tell you that.

and kermit - you still haven't answered that simple question about the Irish DF in their new UNIFIL role.
                        Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 June 2011, 12:25.
                        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Anywhooooooo;

Thanks for that Youtube clip Infy

I remember my very last trip overseas our biggest problem was stopping lads

posting stuff on the likes of youtube;

but in this day and age of instant comms it will be a struggle.

Have a great and safe trip to all our Troops over there.

Comment

• Just looking at the video again

the jammy gits- it would be great to be a young lad deploying overseas again.

The Defence Forces have done a hell of a lot of good work in Lebanon

and sadly we have spilt toooooo much blood over there.

DM did you listen to the Tom Clonan piece- I am begining to have a new found respect for Journalists

like Tom

Comment

• MOD: I warned you to stay on topic and "play the ball, not the player". Some have chosen to ignore the warning and have now received points.
                              "Fellow-soldiers of the Irish Republican Army, I have just received a communication from Commandant Pearse calling on us to surrender and you will agree with me that this is the hardest task we have been called upon to perform during this eventful week, but we came into this fight for Irish Independence in obedience to the commands of our higher officers and now in obedience to their wishes we must surrender. I know you would, like myself, prefer to be with our comrades who have already fallen in the fight - we, too, should rather die in this glorious struggle than submit to the enemy." Volunteer Captain Patrick Holahan to 58 of his men at North Brunswick Street, the last group of the Four Courts Garrison to surrender, Sunday 30 April 1916.

Comment

• Originally posted by kermit
                                I'm asking the questions here, cowboy. What kind of an British Army Infantry Sgt, who hasn't served in Afghanistan, doesn't know his Military Map Symbols?

MOD: Play the ball, not the player
                                you are asking the questions because you don't know the answers and still haven't answered that one simple question.

and in answer to your question above - the answer is none - because every SNCO in the British Army is 'Class 1' in their trade and i am a 'Class 1' Infantry Soldier aswell as Class 1 in some other trades - whether i have served in Afghanistan or not is irrelevant but i can assure you i have not.

map symbols are basics, if you find yourself struggling with them kermit then Google is your friend - i don't have the inclination to educate you.

now can we please get back on topic, and i'm actually in agreement with Hedgie, it's great to see the lads headed out there again.

i wish them all a very safe tour and i know the locals will definitely benefit from their presence in that area again.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X