Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Infy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yVeweUMv8s

Some footage of the lads heading off today.
    Know anyone in that video?
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buck View Post
      Know anyone in that video?
      I served overseas with at least two I saw, the BN Comdr and a Sgt.
      Last edited by Craghopper; 23 June 2011, 13:34.

Comment

• when i was based in Cyprus back in the 90's my Irish DF friends used to come to Cyprus from Lebanon on R&R and visit me. is Cyprus still the chosen spot for R&R during the tour?
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
          I served overseas with at least two I saw, the BN Comdr and a Sgt.
          I know one in the vid and three on the tour overall.
          I knew a simple soldier boy.....
          Who grinned at life in empty joy,
          Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
          And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
          With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
          He put a bullet through his brain.
          And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
          Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
          Sneak home and pray you'll never know
          The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            when i was based in Cyprus back in the 90's my Irish DF friends used to come to Cyprus from Lebanon on R&R and visit me. is Cyprus still the chosen spot for R&R during the tour?
            yup..I know ppl setting up business in Cyprus because of the return!

Comment

yup..I know ppl setting up business in Cyprus because of the return!
              really? fair play! works both ways i suppose - the lads will be well looked after i am sure.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• it's Malaysia
                ...Thats the unit that currently occupies the post...but is it being replaced or supplemented given this gem.

According to an An Cosantoir article Irishbatt will be deployed as follows:

HQ will be at 6-5 in Tibnine (not former-Camp Shamrock (currently occupied by a Malaysian battalion)
                There will be 2 outposts at 6-50 and 6-52 along the Blue Line
                I would assume that given the duration of the mission ,from the ministers speech
                is one year, would dictate who goes where and who goes or stays.

Now bear this in mind

Last edited by hptmurphy; 23 June 2011, 15:14.
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• and i'm actually in agreement with Hedgie
                  Just let me check are you agreeing with me when I say your a liar

or that its great to see lads going overseas again?
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                    DOnt tell me you are drinking Al-Maza beer,

So how is the sole representative from the 4th Estate getting on out there-

Any chance that you would take a trip to the Orphanage and take a few pics

and post them on here so that one of the very very very few British Army Infantry Sgts

who couldnt serve /didnt volunteer to serve /didnt go in kicking and screaming to his CO to be allowed serve or just wasnt trusted enough to serve in Afghanistan

can see how we "abandoned" (his words) the place.

The old Shamrock (the original) is further down the road twoards Tibnine than the Shamrock we marched out of- the logs base facing the hills used to be a Dutch camp- then it was Norwegian and then partialy Norweigan and Polish,

It would be interesting to see pictures of Hadatha Junction (old 6-38a) and the Blackholes (old 6-20 +6-20a) and fraggle rock

enjoy your trip- how many is that now DM.
                    Four: Lebanon in 2001; Liberia in 2003; Chad in 2009 and this one.

Now, re the Orphanage, great minds, etc. I went there on Tuesday and interviewed the director, Mohammad Fawaz. Took loads of pics, but the story has not been used yet. But I can say one the things he told me was that Irish veterans still send him money, their own, every few months to keep the place going.
                    He was keen to praise the Irish and their contribution to the orphanage - he showed us a kitchen that the Irish got him, and we got pics of at least two minibuses provided by the Irish.
                    I went back to the Irish camp today for the lads arriving (tried to get them at the airport but a CNUT of a UN civilan staffer acted the bollox and would not let us in. We then camped in Tibnin for four hours, hoping to get a nice shot of the convoy going through the valley. But they went via Qana, so we were doubly goosed. However, the CO kindly let us in and we did a great interview with and got some great pics, including one fella witrh two hurls in his hand.) Anyway, he said they were taking over areas patrolled by the French.
                    www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                      Just let me check are you agreeing with me when I say your a liar

or that its great to see lads going overseas again?
                      great to see the lads going overseas obviously, but now that you continue your witch hunt on here - i'm entitled to my opinion and the Irish DF left Tibnin, just like we have left other places and supported them afterwards, one school in Baghdad in particular that i remember.

i also said the locals will obviously benefit from the return of the Irish DF - do you see this a lie or have you now got selective reading?
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• I am quite shocked at not seeing any coverage of the lads in the HERALD... Well done to the STAR and the SUN for supporting the Defence Forces..

Comment

great to see the lads going overseas obviously, but now that you continue your witch hunt on here - i'm entitled to my opinion and the Irish DF left Tibnin, just like we have left other places and supported them afterwards, one school in Baghdad in particular that i remember.

i also said the locals will obviously benefit from the return of the Irish DF - do you see this a lie or have you now got selective reading?
                          Jesus RGJ, We left because it was MISSION COMPLETE! it wasn't a retreat/tactical withdrawal or any thing else. We completed the UN resolution.

Comment

• Nobody else bothered their hole coming over, nobody. I'm shocked by that, myself.
                            www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

i asked the question, and nobody has answered it yet.

so tell me kermit - which country are the Irish DF taking over from?
                              Originally posted by kermit
                              If you're able to read a military map you'd be able to work it out from the previous comments. For bonus marks, and to prove that you can understand the map, coud you state the size & type of unit that it is?

Seeing as you aren't able to read Military Symbols, or even English, as the nation is written in English beside the Symbol, it's Malaysia. Now, what type & size of a Malaysian unit was it Sprocket?
                              Originally posted by Dublinmick View Post
                              However, the CO kindly let us in and we did a great interview with and got some great pics, including one fella witrh two hurls in his hand.) Anyway, he said they [the Irish DF] were taking over areas patrolled by the French.
                              thanks Dublinmick, keep us posted.

edited - the beauty of playback - thanks Dublinmick for clarifying that.

Originally posted by kermit
                              You're nothing but a bluffer, and this post sums it up quite well...
                              and who's a bluffer? reading military map symbols is something i learned back in 1989 and have been using ever since - it's like the alphabet, or do you struggle with that too?

now if you can enlighten me on what i am bluffing about then that would be appreciated.
                              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 June 2011, 16:54.
                              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Jesus RGJ, We left because it was MISSION COMPLETE! it wasn't a retreat/tactical withdrawal or any thing else. We completed the UN resolution.
                                likewise - the Iraqi government didn't renew our mission there - we couldn't stay if we wanted to, just like your guys couldn't.

anyhow enough of that, lets not distract from the lads deploying to Lebanon and be done with this Afghan / Iraq sh|t.
                                Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 23 June 2011, 16:43.
                                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
                                X