Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post
    If I am not mistaken he was the PT Instructor NCO in the Ist Bn.
    hence his great moves.

Connaught Stranger.
    He also passed Selection...

Comment

• Originally posted by Craghopper View Post
      He also passed Selection...
      He was in all reality an all round soldier, a good NCO to boot, I am not 100% certain but he might have been with the Galway contingent of "C" Company 46th Bn, I did meet him often in Finner, Castlebar, and whilst doing duties in Renmore.

Sadly missed, but, never to be forgotten, may he + Rest In Peace +

Comment

• wandering off topic seems to be a major problem here...
        "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
        Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
        Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Remembering those characters sadly no longer with us who served on previous missions, paving the way for the current group is surely always a worthwhile exercise?

Comment

• What a great video, and I am sure he was a good NCO, confident enough to get out a give everyone a good laugh , great for morale , things u miss from military life the comradeship and the laughs

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
              Remembering those characters sadly no longer with us who served on previous missions, paving the way for the current group is surely always a worthwhile exercise?

another point being that one member of the currant mission also served with me in the past with "C" Company the 46th Bn, Fair Play BXXXXX XXXXXX

No offence intended CS but we are not that keen on people being named on missions, on missions-Turks
              Last edited by Turkey; 14 July 2011, 02:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by Connaught Stranger View Post

another point being that one member of the currant mission also served with me in the past with "C" Company the 46th Bn, Fair Play BXXXXX XXXXXXX
                BXXXX is a good bloke alright
                Last edited by Turkey; 14 July 2011, 02:59.
                I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                He put a bullet through his brain.
                And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• UNIFIL Force Commander visits newly deployed Irish contingent, 08 July 2011
                  TIBNIN, Lebanon - UNIFIL Force Commander Major-General Alberto Asarta Cuevas today visited the newly deployed Irish Battalion in south Lebanon at the start of their mission as part of UNIFIL.

UNIFIL Force Commander Major-General Alberto Asarta Cuevas meeting with Commanding Officer of the Irish Battalion, Lt.Col. Frank Bolger
                  Major-General Asarta said: “The contributions of Irish peacekeepers to UNIFIL go back to 1978, as old as UNIFIL. They have lost brave soldiers in the service of peace in this dear land. I am proud to have you here.”

Major-General Asarta and the Commanding Officer of the Irish Battalion, Lieutenant-Colonel Frank Bolger, reviewed an Honour Guard. Then they inspected the troops, equipment and the base, Camp Shamrock.

Major-General Asarta said: “The deployment of the Irish battalion brings to 35 the number of countries contributing to UNIFIL.

This is in itself a testament of the confidence the international community puts in this peacekeeping force and the world’s continuous interest in providing all the required assistance to ensure that south Lebanon remains peaceful and stable.”

Ireland was one of the first contributors to UNIFIL, providing troops since its onset. The troops were withdrawn in 2001 and returned in 2007-2008 before being withdrawn again. Irish officers, however, continued to serve at UNIFIL Headquarters in Naqoura.

"It is of vital importance that we work in close cooperation and coordination with the Lebanese Armed Forces for the implementation of UNIFIL's mandate and to maintain peace and security in the south," said Lieutenant-Colonel Bolger.

Comment

• Interesting column from the Jewish World Review saying that a future conflict between Israel and Hezbollah might be triggered by a dispute over gas fields at sea, and claiming the US is not doing enough to support Israel.

(Don't read it Tim, it won't help your blood-pressure!)

I hasten to add I'm not making any comment on the article, just posting the link for information!
                    Last edited by Flamingo; 12 July 2011, 12:24.
                    'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                    'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                    Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                    He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                    http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Just put up three photos on the Irishbatt Unifil page on Facebook. Will post more when I get hom and the internet access is quicker.

Ah **** it, here are some here:
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mick O'Toole; 21 July 2011, 14:44.
                      www.twitter.com/mickthehack

Comment

• More here:

Comment

• From twitpic:

Comment

• Originally posted by Dublinmick View Post
                            You still over there Michael?

Comment

• No, we left on Friday evening.