No announcement yet.

Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The president and Minister visited at the same time. Thats the GoH out of the way for the tour. It was also the medal parade.
    No different to any other trip I'd say.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
      The president and Minister visited at the same time. Thats the GoH out of the way for the tour. It was also the medal parade.
      No different to any other trip I'd say.
      why have the medal parade out of sight and out of mind?

the soldiers should be paraded through town at home to receive their medals where the public can also be proud of them.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

• Normal routine here is march past at home, medal parade overseas.(reason being the soldiers become eligible for medals during the trip). The March past is often held in the home town of the lead unit.

It isn't "out of sight" if it is done by the President, while on her LAST OVERSEAS TRIP OF HER 14 YEAR PRESIDENCY. The media posse following her was as large as the contingent, and it got huge coverage on print and TV media.

You are reverting to your old bad habits RGJ.

Comment

• a medals parade is an event that should be attended by family and friends, a time to award and recognise achievement.

i've had homecoming parades but the proudest moment in any of those is when that medal was pinned upon my chest in front of my family.

i'm confident a homecoming AND medal parade combined would be a much more significant and popular event.

no 'bad habbits' Goldie - just an idea, from experience.
          Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 21 October 2011, 14:21.
          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
            a medals parade is an event that should be attended by family and friends, a time to award and recognise achievement.

i've had homecoming parades but the proudest moment in any of those is when that medal was pinned upon my chest in front of my family.

i'm confident a homecoming AND medal parade combined would be a much more significant and popular event.

No, you are saying, your way(the BA way) is better than Our way. With nothing to back it up. The irish culture is one that pays little heed to the colour of ribbons worn on a soldiers chest. The family is more interested in them getting home safely, and paid for the trouble, than celebrating the new decoration to the uniform.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              No, you are saying, your way(the BA way) is better than Our way. With nothing to back it up. The irish culture is one that pays little heed to the colour of ribbons worn on a soldiers chest. The family is more interested in them getting home safely, and paid for the trouble, than celebrating the new decoration to the uniform.
              this has absolutely nothing to do with the British Army being the right way (or the wrong way), it only becomes that if you make it that.

it's about where and when medals are presented - at home in view of family and friends and the public or on operations where only the soldiers are present.

and what do you mean i have nothing to back it up?

i'm in an organisation that has issued tens, if not hundreds of thousands of medals in a similar fashion over the past few years.

i also have personal experience to back it up, aswell as the common view among many soldiers and civilians who take pride in and enjoy medals being awarded in public.

why should a medal be awarded where only those receiving them are present? i've experienced both and can hand on heart say that receiving a medal with family and friends present means much more to me, and to them than being awarded it whilst on operations out of sight.

a medal is not simply a decoration to make a uniform look pretty - it is a recognition of achievement and it's actual award is an important event.

anyhow, well done to the lads out there on UNIFIL on receipt of their medals, and safe home.
              Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 21 October 2011, 18:22.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

• tend to agree with RGJ on this one but pls dont quote me,

Comment

• [QUOTE=BANDIT;352588]tend to agree with RGJ on this one but pls dont quote me,[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Perhaps medal parades would be a good way to raise awareness of the DF with the public. We complain about the lack of public awareness of the DF, should medal parades be held using the same format as passing out parades i.e, invite family members and the local media to the event.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                      a medals parade is an event that should be attended by family and friends, a time to award and recognise achievement.

Originally posted by B Inman View Post
                      Perhaps medal parades would be a good way to raise awareness of the DF with the public. We complain about the lack of public awareness of the DF, should medal parades be held using the same format as passing out parades i.e, invite family members and the local media to the event.
                      I'd have to say that I would also be a fan of this - our overseas troops getting the public
                      profile they deserve for their efforts down the years
                      "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

• Another one for medal parades in front of the public here.
                        I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                        Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                        Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                        And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                        With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                        He put a bullet through his brain.
                        And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                        Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                        Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                        The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

• given the fact that we dont deploy overseas as a single units, i think the chance of getting everyone together again for the medal parade would be slim. People go on courses, exercises, leave, retire etc very soon after returning from o/s

Comment

• Originally posted by midnight oil View Post
                            given the fact that we dont deploy overseas as a single units, i think the chance of getting everyone together again for the medal parade would be slim. People go on courses, exercises, leave, retire etc very soon after returning from o/s
                            I agree, and apart from all that

as one who was on a few overseas medal parades I actually like it that way-

When we return there is the standing down of the colours parade and it is another

good chance to meet up with the lads.

I am sure the homecoming parades work well for HM's troops and best of luck to them

but we just prefer to get on with the job - I like our modest way of doing things.
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• From PR point of view its is a good idea, especially after the units were formed up in a particular town or city before they had departed , it would be nice to see them back in that location to show that they had accomplished the mission.

The DF has been far too media shy over the years, it only really began to lift the curtain under Dermot Earley's time and he was a very media concious guy. The current COS while he does appear in the media quite a bit doesn't seem to be as media savvy as his predecessor.
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by B Inman View Post
                                Perhaps medal parades would be a good way to raise awareness of the DF with the public. We complain about the lack of public awareness of the DF, should medal parades be held using the same format as passing out parades i.e, invite family members and the local media to the event.
                                Award a battalion (An Cead Cath/3 Bn etc) freedom of a particular town? Have a parade to exercise this "freedom" each year?
                                "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Working...
                                X