Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace-keeping troops return home to a heroes welcome

A CONTINGENT of Irish troops who were on a six month tour of duty in south Lebanon have arrived home.

A total of 175 troops from the 107th battalion have arrived into Dublin Airport following their tour of duty.

Dublin airport was alive with excitement and touching emotion as families gathered to welcome home daddies, mammies, sons and daughters, uncles and aunts from the UN peace keeping mission.

Amongst them was Cork goalkeeper Alan Quirk looking forward to another Championship season - and already apprehensive of taking on Limerick.

The 107th Infantry battalion travelled to south Lebanon on November 2 last, guarding the border with Israel.

Troops said the area remains untouched by the Syrian conflict, though some refugees have passed through.

The battalion consists of 332 Irish and 176 Finnish personnel under the irish command of lt col David Dignam, who remains to hand over command to the 108th battalion. He returns home next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      Whey I say "It should be shoulder high on all ceremonial parades" that's my personnel option, I don't know of the top of my head what the manual says.
      Waistbelt high for a trained soldier, shoulder high in training, this helps to ingrain the proper rhythm (AFAIR from our training Sgt back in the last century)
      CRIME SCENE INSTIGATOR

Comment

• Defence Force members return from Lebanon

Last edited by Rhodes; 11 May 2013, 10:43. Reason: Youtube link added

Comment

• Our brave troops deserve credit

One can only be moved by the sight of Irish troops returning from south Lebanon. By all accounts, Dublin Airport was abuzz with excitement and joy as a contingent arrived back yesterday after a six-month tour of duty.

And no doubt there was great relief that they all came home safe and sound. It is worth remembering on this happy occasion the peacekeeping commitment that our Defence Forces have shown in Lebanon with the United Nations, and those who have fallen tragically in the line of duty.

The first Irish Battalion to deploy to Lebanon went there 35 years ago, and more than 32,000 individual tours of duty were carried out until 2001. That is some commitment.

Irish troops have returned to the strife-torn country intermittently since then.

It is a sobering thought that of the 85 members of the Defence Forces who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the cause of peace, 47 died while on active service in Lebanon.

The strong family traditions of service in our Defence Forces could be seen yesterday among the faces of those who returned home. Among them was Owen McLoughlin, who had travelled to the very spot where his father Dermot lost his life on active service in 1987.

The Irish peacekeeping role with UNIFIL over the decades has not been in vain. The conflict in Syria may have re-opened old wounds in the Middle East, but Lebanon is now a good deal more peaceful than it was when the first Irish soldiers arrived so many years ago.

Credit is due to our brave troops who have played a role in keeping that peace. We salute you.
          One can only be moved by the sight of Irish troops returning from south Lebanon. By all accounts, Dublin Airport was abuzz with excitement and joy as a contingent arrived back yesterday after a six-month tour of duty.

Comment

• Originally posted by REX View Post
            Waistbelt high for a trained soldier, shoulder high in training, this helps to ingrain the proper rhythm (AFAIR from our training Sgt back in the last century)
            Spot on.Says so in the manual.However i have to agree with Rhodes.Waistbelt high should be for everyday parades.We should use shoulder high for all ceremonial.It looks way better.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• And it's easier to march and stay in step when it's shoulder high.
              Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
              Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
              The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
              The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
              The best lack all conviction, while the worst
              Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                And it's easier to march and stay in step when it's shoulder high.
                agrre but its got to be crisp , a well defined movement not just swinging arms

Comment

• Originally posted by danno View Post
                  Was that meant to be humorous or something?
                  "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                  Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                  Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• Actually yes

Comment

• Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      Actually yes
                      0 outta 10 so....
                      "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
                      Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
                      Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

• "107 Infantry Battalion UNIFIL return home after six month deployment in Lebanon"

Comment

• "I know that I'm responsible for the guys when we go outside the gate”

Today is the International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers

Corporal Timothy (Timmy) O’Shea from Cobh, Cork is currently on his 2nd deployment overseas with 108 IRISHFINNBATT in Southern Lebanon as part of UNIFIL (United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon).

Cpl O’Shea has had to leave behind his partner Sarah and his two year old daughter Zoe (who was only 8 months old during his previous trip). “At this age with Zoe, being away for a six months will mark significant changes in her size and personality and of course you don’t want to miss that" reflects O'Shea. "Unlike my previous deployment she is now asking for me and notices my absence which just makes things that bit more difficult.

“However with the leave rotation I’ll be home in just over 2 months and get to see them for 3 weeks before returning to complete my remaining 3 months. This deployment schedule for our unit also means that other fathers and mothers and I get home for Christmas which is a great boost and eases the burden”.

Timmy points out that such absences are a little easier to handle these days, as “the likes of Skype and Viber allow me to keep in contact on a daily basis so the distance between us isn't as a much of an obstacle as it was previously”.

Cpl O’Shea is in an unusual position, as his brother Cpl Michael O’Shea is on his first deployment overseas and is also a member of B Company. Michael also has a five year old daughter back in Ireland. “Our parents were of course upset...” says Timmy, “but at the same time incredibly proud. This is the first time that both of us are away together on a mission. However, we’re regularly in contact with them and they know that this is career we wanted”.

"Every day here is different"

Following his previous deployment as a Private, Cpl O’Shea is now in command of a Javelin (anti-armour weapon) Section within B Company (the Irish Mechanised Infantry unit in UNIFIL).

In terms of his day to day duties, Cpl O’Shea reflects that “every day here is different. As a Corporal, I am often responsible for patrols and so I have to be fully competent in map reading, knowing exactly where we are and where we going is essential especially in this sensitive area. I was a Private receiving orders from my commander last time in Lebanon and now with my promotion I am the one briefing a section prior to commencing a patrol. I know that I'm responsible for the guys when we go outside the gate”.

Irish Peacekeepers, who have been present in Lebanon at various capacities for thirty-five years, are well aware of the situation around them, and many are familiar with operating in a potential volatile area such as South Lebanon. “No soldier here forgets the 47 individuals who have lost their lives whilst serving in Lebanon since 1978” Timmy stresses. “At the same time we still try and maintain as friendly and professional appearance as possible to the local population. We are here as guests to protect and assist them.

“As per UN Security Council Resolution 1701 we conduct regular framework patrols with the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) including day and night patrols, establishment of observation points and monitoring of the Blue Line."

Corporal Timothy O’Shea formed up with the 108 Battalion three months prior to deployment and underwent a robust and comprehensive training programme culminating in a Mission Readiness Exercise (M.R.E) which included Live Fire Tactical Training (LFTT). This training covered all possible scenarios that the troops may encounter from road traffic accidents (RTAs) to coming under fire. His previous training on courses such as the Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) course and the Reconnaissance course also stands to him. Skills such as the ability to use advanced navigation are also highly valuable to the UN mission.

For Cpl O’Shea, working with the UN Peacekeepers is an invaluable experience. "Ultimately serving with the UN is the highlight of every soldier’s career representing both their unit and their country abroad” he concludes. “It's the reason why I joined."

Cpl Timmy O'Shea

Irish Peacekeepers in Lebanon

Comment

• Troops still patrol Lebanon despite unrest

Irish peacekeeping troops are continuing to patrol their areas of operations within south Lebanon despite a bloody battle in the nearby city of Sidon.

At least 16 soldiers from Lebanese Army Forces have been killed in clashes with Sunni militants since Sunday.

It is estimated that about 20 supporters of hardline Sunni cleric Sheikh Ahmad as-Assir also died as gun and rocket fire rocked the city, 28 miles south of the capital, Beirut.

The violence is seen as a fall-out from the Syrian conflict involving Sunni and Shia fighters. However, the Defence Forces said last night that the Irish area of operations was quiet and they were closely monitoring events in Sidon.
                            Irish peacekeeping troops are continuing to patrol their areas of operations within south Lebanon despite a bloody battle in the nearby city of Sidon.

Comment

• Update on the situation in Sidon from the Lebanese Daily Star.

ABRA, Lebanon: Lebanese troops raided apartments Tuesday searching for militants loyal to Salafist Sheikh Ahmad Assir in and around Sidon, south Lebanon, as life began to return to normal after two days of fierce gunbattles between the military and Assir fighters.
                              During the raids a grenade was tossed at a Lebanese Army patrol vehicle followed by gunfire. There were no reports of casualties.
                              By midday, the Army's hunt expanded to cover Sidon's old quarter.

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Pol...#ixzz2XEH0pJck
                              (The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb

Comment

• Not sure if this is the correct thread, or if it deserves it's own, but it looks like Hezbollah is starting to have consequences for not staying neutral in Syria, and the crusties don't like it...

TAX cheat TD Mick Wallace has lashed out at the European Union's decision to designate Lebanese militants Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation.

Wallace furious that Hezbollah labelled terorrists

Cormac McQuinn – 23 July 2013

TAX cheat TD Mick Wallace has lashed out at the European Union's decision to designate Lebanese militants Hezbollah as a terrorist organisation.

The Co Wexford TD last night took to Twitter and criticised the move saying it was a "bad day for (the) Middle East as EU blacklists Hezbollah".

Mr Wallace went on to say that it was "a blatant pro-Israeli decision".

And he expressed solidarity with the Iran and Syria-backed militia saying that it "will retain legitimacy as long as the Israeli occupation of Arab peoples and lands continues".

Mr Wallace has previously been vocal on the Arab-Israeli confict in his support of flotillas bringing supplies to the Gaza strip.

When an Irish-owned ship in the flotilla, the MV Saoirse, was allegedly sabotaged by the Israelis in 2011, Mr Wallace called on the government to call in Israel's ambassador Dr Zion Evrony to account for the damage.

Irish Independent
                                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Working...
                                X