No announcement yet.

Unifil(3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The move by the EU and our government was fairly cowardly, HB has a militant and a political wing (sounds familiar), they registered the militant wing as bad guys but left the political wing alone- basically this means that now you can't donate to, sell to, join or otherwise party with the militant wing but you can still donate to, sell to, join and otherwise party with the political wing. It's a shite decision, it's like saying Sinn Fein had nothing to do with the ira-
    HB as a whole should have been banned, if the Lebbos complained about it we should have just told them to grow a set of balls and sort their country out.
    However this would have been hypocritical as we didn't have the balls to sort ourselves out.

Wallace is a scruffy clown who fiddled his taxes- his opinion counts less than the opinion of the byproduct of my morning dump.
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

• Well, the fact the Wallace is condemning it means that banning them must have some merit...

Digressing slightly, on the ground in the Leb, who did you find easier to deal with day-to-day and was more inclined to play by the rules, HB or the Israeli's?
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• It very much depends- on some trips you would have had a great deal of contact with the HBs where as because of the way the AO was spread out some Companies would barely see them and mainly deal with the Israelis or worse still the DFF/ SLA.

Most of the hairies were fanatics down from Beiruit who didn't give a shite about us, I saw one idiot drive full pelt into a tank stop in hiace van, most of the IDF were ok, you would meet lads from England and the US doing their service, I even met a lad from Templeogue.

No matter what way or what manner they treated us, we treated both sides the same way-

Comment

• I'm sure everybody acted / acts professionally and impartially. I'm just curious what the everyday attitude was to the boods on the ground, and if anybody would try to push things more than others. I take it the DFF/SLA were the one's who would!
          Last edited by Flamingo; 23 July 2013, 14:16.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            HB as a whole should have been banned, if the Lebbos complained about it we should have just told them to grow a set of balls and sort their country out.
            They are part of a democratically elected Government (terrorist or not).

Part of the role of UNIFIL is to help the (Government's) Lebanon's army.

It then possibly means that EU countries couldn't contribute to UNIFIL.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post

That will never happen.. the EU + Israel have to much to loose if Lebanon becomes anywhere near like Syria is right now.. There will be a lot of behind the door stuff done now to appease HB in light of this decision to categorise them as terrorists .. And no doubt they will play on this to get their own way..

Comment

Not the full story mate, there are specific roles where we assist the LAF

. Assist the LAF in taking steps towards the establishment between the Blue Line and the Litani river of an free of any armed personnel, assets and weapons other than those of the Government of Lebanon and of UNIFIL deployed in this area;
                . Assist the Lebanese Government in restoring its effective authority in the area. .
                . Assist the Government of Lebanon in securing its borders and other entry points to prevent the entry in Lebanon without its consent of arms or related materiel.
                It's simplistic and wrong to just say "assist / help the Lebbo army and it would be wrong to say that because the HB are in Government then their terrorist forces are Defacto LAF.

It's hard enough job over there without having to assist the LAF to the blue line and then find that the AEs on the BL are the private militia of one minor part of the Lebbo Government.

Comment

• Joint patrols and joint ex's with LAF

Comment

Joint patrols and joint ex's with LAF
                    But only within the limits of the mandate

Comment

• Anyone know why the lads currently serving with UNIFIL are wearing black boots? I thought desert boots were the done thing out there?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                        Anyone know why the lads currently serving with UNIFIL are wearing black boots? I thought desert boots were the done thing out there?
                        Sure didn't they use black boots for 30 years

Comment

• Originally posted by Fridge Magnet View Post
                          Anyone know why the lads currently serving with UNIFIL are wearing black boots? I thought desert boots were the done thing out there?
                          They hadn't enough desert boots in stores to issue to the full Battalion for Lebanon. Haix's would be grand during the winter but desert boots should be issued for summer trips. Black boots would be taken with them and worn for the Medal Parade or Honour Guards.

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Sure didn't they use black boots for 30 years
                          Tan boots were worn in Lebanon in the past as well.

Comment

• Oh no lads its better than that.They had issued all but 70 of the Battalion with desert boots.When they realised the shortfall they recalled all the boots issued out(on the day the bags were going into the containers!).The boots were minus the packaging and had been worn and numbered.Hence they are "worn" kit and wont be reissued(waste of taxpayers money).Lads have been out there all trip in 30 plus degrees heat in black boots for the sake of uniformity.Solution?An emergency purchase of "a" desert boot.Even if the emergency issue wasn't magnum and the bulk were wearing the latter so what??Duty of care to the troops should have come first.Black boots could be and are used for inspections etc.
                            A disgrace.
                            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                              Oh no lads its better than that.They had issued all but 70 of the Battalion with desert boots.When they realised the shortfall they recalled all the boots issued out(on the day the bags were going into the containers!).The boots were minus the packaging and had been worn and numbered.Hence they are "worn" kit and wont be reissued(waste of taxpayers money).Lads have been out there all trip in 30 plus degrees heat in black boots for the sake of uniformity.Solution?An emergency purchase of "a" desert boot.Even if the emergency issue wasn't magnum and the bulk were wearing the latter so what??Duty of care to the troops should have come first.Black boots could be and are used for inspections etc.
                              A disgrace.
                              I don't even know what to say

Comment

• Am I the only one who can see the simple solution of give the desert boots to the lads who will actually be out on patrol and leaving the camp every day and letting the blokes who stay in the camp keep their black boots? I mean in Chad I noticed the engineers/mechanics/camp staff for want of a better word kept on their black boots for the steel toe protection.

Uniformity is important enough I suppose but I think common sense should take priority
                                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Working...
                                X