Air Corps helicopter fire fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    The French Army will probably continue to use the Gazelle until their Chief of Staff pries it out of their hands. The original Squirrel / Ecureuil was considered to be it's replacement, yet the Squirrel is considered old hat now, despite it being even more reliable and user friendly than a Gazelle.
    The French, all branches last year selected the Airbus H-160M as the common replacement for their Alloutte III, Gazelle, Squirrel/Ecureuil, Dauphin/Panther and Puma helicopters under their Hélicoptère Interarmées Léger (HIL) program. Originally this was to start in 2019 but the latest from Airbus was that the H-160M will only be available from 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Think that was just for training
      Under the UK Military Flying Training System (UKMFTS) which is contracted out the rotary element uses H-135 & H-145 helicopters. They were part of the 100yr fly past a few weeks ago.

Comment

Most of the RAF has been contracted out. It's only a shadow of what it used to be.

Comment

Not just the RAF the army reserve calls the AA in the event of a vehicle breakdown ...

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
            Most of the RAF has been contracted out. It's only a shadow of what it used to be.
            The whole thing was a silly experiment anyway...fcuking creatures...
            'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post
              Not just the RAF the army reserve calls the AA in the event of a vehicle breakdown ...
              If you're broken down on the side of the M6 Southbound...during rush hour...who should you call?

The 'A' Team????

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                If you're broken down on the side of the M6 Southbound...during rush hour...who should you call?

The 'A' Team????
                Glad you think its funny .... you are joking of course ???

Comment

Originally posted by Orion View Post
                  Glad you think its funny .... you are joking of course ???
                  I was being tongue in cheek Mate...

I drive 'White Fleet' vehicles regularly...if they break down a civilian company...possibly the AA (I'm not sure to be honest) will come and recover you.

'Green Fleet' vehicles...if they are moving in convoys...will do so in packets...usually by Company / Squadron.

The last packet will always have a recovery vehicle (wrecker)...crewed by a couple of recovery mechanics...

Their job is to recover broken-down / damaged vehicles and get them to a place where they can be repaired.

Great soldiers with a real 'can-do' attitude.

That model works in both the Regular Army and Army Reserve.

If a Green Fleet vehicle is not moving as part of a convoy...maybe singularly or in a pair...then they won't have a wrecker with them.

So if a vehicle from Inverness breaks down on the M6 Southbound somewhere around Coventry...then it makes sense that a contractor will come out and recover them...though I've never personally seen this myself.

Also, a lot of the day to day heavy lifting of armour is done by contractors; if it wasn't you'd have soldiers continually tied up in traffic jams on the UKs wonderful motorway network.

They'd never get any military training done.

Using contractors isn't always a bad thing!

Comment

Originally posted by spider View Post
                    I was being tongue in cheek Mate...

I drive 'White Fleet' vehicles regularly...if they break down a civilian company...possibly the AA (I'm not sure to be honest) will come and recover you.

'Green Fleet' vehicles...if they are moving in convoys...will do so in packets...usually by Company / Squadron.

The last packet will always have a recovery vehicle (wrecker)...crewed by a couple of recovery mechanics...

Their job is to recover broken-down / damaged vehicles and get them to a place where they can be repaired.

Great soldiers with a real 'can-do' attitude.

That model works in both the Regular Army and Army Reserve.

If a Green Fleet vehicle is not moving as part of a convoy...maybe singularly or in a pair...then they won't have a wrecker with them.

So if a vehicle from Inverness breaks down on the M6 Southbound somewhere around Coventry...then it makes sense that a contractor will come out and recover them...though I've never personally seen this myself.

Also, a lot of the day to day heavy lifting of armour is done by contractors; if it wasn't you'd have soldiers continually tied up in traffic jams on the UKs wonderful motorway network.

They'd never get any military training done.

Using contractors isn't always a bad thing!
                    The DF also now have a white (or be it green/black) now. Afaik it is DF owned and DF driven

The thing is that soldier who was replaced was as a soldier multitasked.

As I understand it there is still a military HET capability via sponsored reserves (they are civvies for the day to day driving to the training area but can be mobilised for deployment)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      The DF also now have a white (or be it green/black) now. Afaik it is DF owned and DF driven

The thing is that soldier who was replaced was as a soldier multitasked.

As I understand it there is still a military HET capability via sponsored reserves (they are civvies for the day to day driving to the training area but can be mobilised for deployment)
                      There is indeed Dev...its a mixture of military personnel / civvies (mainly ex-military) who are sponsored reserves.

So in war time they get mobilised.

I'm not a 'spotter' but apparently the way to distinguish is that if a HET is double-manned the crew are soldiers...single-manned one of those SR dudes.

They drive these (and armoured variants of) https://www.army-technology.com/projects/oshkosh/

The only person I've ever spoken to about it was a doorman at a nightclub in Salisbury...he was in the HET Sqn at Bulford...said the civvy SR thing had ruined a great trade...and was getting out...to be a full-time doorman.

Comment

Air Corps helicopter still tackling Wicklow wildfires

Air Corp crews are on standby to deal with any wildfires in the Wicklow Mountains, and have been provisionally asked to assist Wicklow County Fire Service.

Comment

Early start for them this year, at least it hasn't been as bad as the one in England.

Comment

Air Corps deployed to Donegal to fight gorse fire.

Comment

DF getting a lot of stick for the delay in deploying the helicopters/troops on ground - request was made at 9am.

Comment

Originally posted by pym View Post
                                DF getting a lot of stick for the delay in deploying the helicopters/troops on ground - request was made at 9am.
                                Is it the AC/Army, DOD, or Minister that should be getting the stick or a combination?

Comment

Working...
                                X