No announcement yet.

9 Liners and IFAK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember, the TQ is not the last resort any longer and they can stay on safely and effectively for up to 2 hours and in some rare cases, even longer, per recent studies.
    We had guys who had them on for up to 4 hours in Kandahar, as their evacs were delayed because of ongoing contacts, and there were no issues. In our experience, leave it on as long as needed until the casualty reaches a medical installation.
    "On the plains of hesitation, bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the very dawn of victory, laid down to rest, and in resting died.

Never give up!!"

Comment

• Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
      Catastrophic bleed as a result of a limb amputation apply tourniquet 3 finger widths above point of injury and elevate limb. Date and time on casi forehead.
      Things have changed quite a bit over the intervening years R & S as I'm sure your aware .

Just by way of an update for the lads:

SOP now is single long bones only irrespective of where on the limb the injury is. On the arm it's the Humerus with the target artery being the Brachial. In the leg it's the Femur and the target artery being the Femoral.

Reason being, difficulty in obtaining the required constriction on double bone areas of the limbs without actually breaking said bones and complicating the injury even more. Also with the old 3 finger method, you were not guaranteed to constrict the flow of blood. Especially if dealing with limb amputation. The rubber band theory, rubber band (artery) snaps and contracts. In a severely damaged leg for instance where the injury site is lower limb it it not unknown for the artery to withdraw into the thigh. The thigh will hold large quantities of blood without obvious deformation.

After application of CAT T, if arterial bleeding is still observed and a distal pulse is present apply a SECOND CAT T proximal to the first. Do not remove/loosen first CAT T.

One rule that has not changed:

Don't apply CAT T round the neck for neck and head injuries .
      Attached Files
      Last edited by FMP; 14 July 2014, 15:34.
      We travel not for trafficking alone,
      By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned,
      For lust of knowing what should not be known,
      We make the Golden Journey to Samarkand.

Comment

• I have a question for the more enlightened among us.....

9 Line Medevac, Line 2 - Callsign and Radio Freq.

What Freq would you give? I presume we would be wanting to pass on a SC freq for sake of simplicity rather than Tx'ing (and thus compromising) B/Width, USC, Net ID etc. Would DF SOP be for the orders to incorporate a separate SC Channel solely for Medevac? That way once the 9 liner has been pushed through up the chain via secure means, and there's confirmation of the chopper en route to you, you can switch to the "medevac channel" to coordinate with the helo on all things concerning MIST, HLZ etc before touchdown? I'm also presuming that DF chopper crews have SINCGARs on board to communicate with ground troops too.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
          I have a question for the more enlightened among us.....

What Freq would you give?
          Line 2:Radio frequency, call sign, and suffix of requesting personnel, encrypt the frequency.

Done so when the Air checks into your airspace they can talk to the C/S on the ground direct.

Comment

• Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
            I have a question for the more enlightened among us.....

What Freq would you give? I presume we would be wanting to pass on a SC freq for sake of simplicity rather than Tx'ing (and thus compromising) B/Width, USC, Net ID etc. Would DF SOP be for the orders to incorporate a separate SC Channel solely for Medevac? That way once the 9 liner has been pushed through up the chain via secure means, and there's confirmation of the chopper en route to you, you can switch to the "medevac channel" to coordinate with the helo on all things concerning MIST, HLZ etc before touchdown? I'm also presuming that DF chopper crews have SINCGARs on board to communicate with ground troops too.
            So the AC can contact the unit when they arrive/get close

AC does have SINCGARS (as does NS)

Don't forget we are just copying a NATO thing

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              So the AC can contact the unit when they arrive/get close

AC does have SINCGARS (as does NS)

Don't forget we are just copying a NATO thing
              You didn't just say the C word did you DeV

Comment

• Standardising with a NATO format for interoperability

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                  Standardising with a NATO format for interoperability
                  Meant the other C word, as in "Contact, wait out"
                  Last edited by FMP; 23 July 2014, 09:30.

Comment

• Originally posted by FMP View Post
                    Meant the other C word, as in "Contact, wait out"
                    I should have said communicate

Comment

• Lads, I'm aware of why we give the freq & c/s, but I'm just questioning which freq is given.

If a patrol is operating on an encrypted net (FH mode) then all the associated encryption data would need to be passed on to the medevac bird via line 2 to establish comms. If there was a predetermined dedicated single unencrypted channel solely used during the timeframe of a medevac, that info is quicker to pass on via line 2 and reduces the margin for error (eg. Freq 47100, c/s 31B).

What is the DF SOP on this?

If it is an encrypted channel, and you've had to state the encryption data for Line 2, does that mean you have to follow the compromise procedure after the medevac is complete?

Comment

• Interesting but could be OPSEC

Comment

• True, it's borderline OPSEC. If someone knows and doesn't want to post it. Please PM me or hit me up via other channels. Cheers.

Comment

• From what I can tell, all you are giving is relevant callsigns. There is a video from a British TOC in Afghan and line 2 was given as follows: "2:MAVERICK 20, TAD MALIVE 31 or CAG. Controlling C/S WIDOW 31"
                            It's all callsigns. Anyway, we operate on established NETs so there is no point giving out frequencies and the lot for a NET you are already on.

Found a US ROTC training video that runs through the 9 liner.

Comment

• Also found this
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by F_M; 23 July 2014, 18:47.

Comment

• What???? An attachment that works!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X