9 Liners and IFAK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
    Talking with Df paramedics very recently on the subject of iv's, intubation etc and they said under phecc they're not allowed do it anymore. Cue very puzzled looks all round
    Again, much like GPMG link, support weapon ammo etc, I would have thought an IV would be carried by everyone (ideally in the same part of their kit), so medics wouldn't be getting bogged down with the weight of them.

Giving everyone the training to use them would be an added bonus and surely increase in combat effectiveness overall?

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
      I'm a bit out of my depth to be discussing emergency trauma treatment with any authority given my limited background, but I would have thought that with today's IED threat, where IEDs are packed to blast out a shed load of shrapnel, it's very possible to incur several traumatic bleeds that would probably require a CAT to be applied sooner than when is typically advised on a civilian 1st Aid course, which is why battlefield first aid is so important.

From what I understand and from my training many moons ago, soldiers injured in combat are more likely to bleed out quicker given the multitude of wounds inflicted in a short space of time, than a civilian who's had an occupational accident, therefore the priority to identify and stem the heavy bleeding would probably come before an ABC examination. Whereas in Civvy street, an ABC examination is taught to come first. Either way, priorities are different on the battlefield compared to regular civilian occupational hazards.

If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.

Personally, I think it's a shame that troops aren't issued basic lifesaving equipment, and that the irony is that someone probably has to die wanting for such equipment, before it's actually issued.

RGJ, if you're reading this, what's the standard IFAK/Trauma kit that's on issue to regular infantry in BA these days? (EDIT: or R&S or Knocker for that matter...)

S & S its C A B C now , the rationale behind this is that in theory a traumatic amputation of limb will cause an earlier death than a non breathing casualty. It has been proven in combat that a casi can bleed to death in less than one minute from an amputated limb wheras a non breathing casi has upto 4 mins before serious damage occurs.

If you can get a copy of the BATLS book it has all the upto date stuff in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ZULU View Post
        Are Brit medics with plns or are they coy assets?

Coy asset, team medics are filtered down to the platoons and sections.

Comment

what's the standard IFAK/Trauma kit that's on issue to regular infantry in BA these days?
          depends on if you are a basic grunt or team medic.

in barracks in peacetime as a grunt you generally are limited to untold FFD's, and CAT's are issued frequently if you have a decent BCDT instructor in your sub-unit who can get hold of enough of them (i'm a BCDT instructor so we get them) and Asherman Chest Seals and Geudal Airways are there for the taking too.

Platoon Sergeants will normally approach the CQMS and the Med Centre when required - who will dish out a whole load of goodies including more CATS, Guedel Airways and plenty of Asherman Chest seals along with combat scissors and the like.

most grunts hang onto this kit and it becomes part of their own trauma kit.

so i wouldn't really say we get 'issued' it - we just get hold of it through the system and it is encouraged.

Team Medics get a whole load of kit including IV and combat stretchers and a special rocket pouch for all the goodies to go into.

it's too late for me to ask any Riflemen who have been out there recently to give you a truer picture but Knocker and Keef will know how things are right now.
          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I downloaded a copy of the BCDT TAM and showed it to a mate who's a medic.He said it was a great idea and the knowledge contained within was solid but that if he used it or gave it out to students and they used the info contained inside than if something went wrong with a casualty then he could be prosecuted because it want a DF approved document.
            Funny that we dotn seem to have a problem with using "Survive to fight " as our CBRN bible even though its not a DF document

While we are on the subject i am reliably informed that our current medical corps training is about to change.instead of doing the 2-3* medic course and going on then to do the ambulance skills course and wilderness EMT.You will just do Combat medic level one course.
            EMT and Paramedic will be combined into combat medic level two course.

If fianoglach is on the money than our individual battlefield FA training should improve greatly.I know the current CS of the medical school came from a very combat orientated unit before his current posting and i believe he is one of the driving forces in all this.Fair play and about time.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

the BCDT TAM is a brilliant bit of kit but you must remain calm to use it properly (easier said than done believe me).

for a smaller army, producing such an item specifically for the Irish DF would not be very cost effective so i can see why it isn't implemented.

the changes you mention though seem a great step in the right direction apod, nice one.
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

for a smaller army, producing such an item specifically for the Irish DF would not be very cost effective so i can see why it isn't implemented.
                Exactly.that why we use "survive to fight" for our CBRN drills.The drills are sound our Resi was the same as yours up till recently etc etc.I actually asked the question on my NBC instructor course(shows how long i am qualified) as to why we didnt produce our own pamphlet."If it isnt broke why fix it"was the reply.
                Why cant we do the same with the BCDT TAM??
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Where can I get a copy of this TAM?

I always felt that Medical training was neglected on the various courses/exercises I've done. The medical lectures I have done have focused more on the first aid aspect of things as opposed to battlefield first aid. And has not been very comprehensive.

More can be done.
                  To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

I teach it

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
                      I teach it
                      me too

but don't have the REAL experience you have.
                      RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
                        S & S its C A B C now , the rationale behind this is that in theory a traumatic amputation of limb will cause an earlier death than a non breathing casualty. It has been proven in combat that a casi can bleed to death in less than one minute from an amputated limb wheras a non breathing casi has upto 4 mins before serious damage occurs.
                        Cheers for the clarification mate. It's been a long time since I've touched this stuff. It's certainly worth thinking about.

Is there anywhere it can be downloaded from? Or if you have a copy, could you PM me?

Originally posted by apod View Post
                        I downloaded a copy of the BCDT TAM...
                        Got a link?

Comment

Cheers for the clarification mate. It's been a long time since I've touched this stuff. It's certainly worth thinking about.

Is there anywhere it can be downloaded from? Or if you have a copy, could you PM me?

Got a link?
                          http://www.222-atc.org.uk/Resources/...de_memoire.pdf
                          I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

Thanks LC, nice one, the one I have is from 2000, so probably well out of date at this stage.

Will get this one printed and laminated instead. Cheers!

Comment

Is that a different name for the BCDT TAM or are they two different beasts?

Comment

Nice one L-C, have saved a copy of that
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X