Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I work for a living!!
    Post Thanks / Like

AW 139 Tail Rotor Problems

Can anyone out there confirm that one of the AC 139's had a tail rotor problem while on the ground in Bal. Similar to what has been happening around the rest of the world as seen in the pics attached??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Although I have walked in the valley of the shadows of death I fear no evil...

Post Thanks / Like
    The operators name in one of those pics is very carefully covered up.

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't hearing anything about the AW 139. But I did hear that one of the CASA aircraft has been out of action recently due to some type of "cracks" issue. Hopefully the IAC are working flatout to get both aircraft back in the air. Hopefully the IAC AW139 didn't have the level of damage that the one in the picture has had! If it did, it will be out of action for a while...

Nijmegen Neanderthal Eddie Dillon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are the odds it was the same aircraft?
    "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Post Thanks / Like
    saw them flying today
    "The Question is not: how far you will take this? The Question is do you possess the constitution to go as far as is needed?"

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that issue was due to the composite tail section melting in the desert heat, and other aircraft from the same manufacturing facility were checked for similar flaws.
    I understand that is not an Italian Built machine.

Our exhausts melted.....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which type of tail section boom does the Air Corps aircraft have? May be very wrong here but from what I've read there's more than one type.

Is there any further info, say published report, on the exhausts melting.
    Last edited by Orion; 11th May 2011 at 19:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are there any pictures?

Recruit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. When flaws were found elsewhere in the world, a system of maintenance checks were put in place that find any defects before they cause problems. Ours are fine.

Post Thanks / Like

additional info

Not the same aircraft but defo the same operator- livery is identical- Gulf Helicopter Ciompany based in Qatar
    pic 1- detached rotor
    pic 2 -rotor still attached to boom
    Last edited by Pod; 12th May 2011 at 16:59.

Private 2*
    Post Thanks / Like
    An old tech friend of mine who is still serving, told me that he believed that the IAC had three incidents of tail boom damage on the AW 139 during the last year. He also told me though, that regular inspections are carried out to check for damage. So if there is an issue, it is being closely monitored...You can never be to careful with problems like that!

Nijmegen Neanderthal Eddie Dillon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the original aircraft has been repaired you never know, the first incident did take place nearly 2 years ago after all. Seemingly the tail rotor of this latest heli flew off and landed on the tarmac nearly 50m away. Lucky no one was nearby! Here's a photo of another 139 from Hong Kong that had a tail incident recently

"Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

I work for a living!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting posts about different parts being made in different places of the world. I was under the impression that aw had certain workshops manufacturing parts for there aircraft all to the same spec. Can anyone put any light on if this same problem with the tails has been a problem for the air corps. I have heard that there have been three 139's with a similar problem and tails replaced in the last 12 months. Any truth in this and that the air corps have put a post flight inspection off tail's in place as a result of the current worries about the posiblilty of the tail imploding..

Any air corps tech's out there not afraid off posting a comment let us know the truth, not the df and air corps propaganda!!!!!!

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pictured Sky Shuttle incident was widely reported as a bird-strike on take-off which necessitated an immediate controlled ditching by the Capt. that everyone 'swam' away from.

Haven't heard too much about the Gulf Air one but that's quite a while ago now but wouldn't be holding my breath for the report from there. Industry sources confirm that it had suffered a previous tail-strike which probably led to the structural failure on the ground.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SARMAN;335428.

Any air corps tech's out there not afraid off posting a comment let us know the truth, not the df and air corps propaganda!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Keep your fingers quiet ,seriously bad idea to reply in the manner requested.

Lord Chief Bottlewasher trellheim's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please do not use IMO as a conduit to bring the DF into disrepute.
    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, don't do that! The DF can bring itself into disrepute all on it's own, without any help from you
    regards
    GttC

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all,
    Pretty much every aircraft with composite structures have suffered failures in the past and will continue to do so, just like metal aircraft. They are inspected regularly and grounded if need be. The Dauphins also had cracks showing up in the tailboom and probably have an inspection programme.
    regards
    GttC

I work for a living!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trellheim View Post
    Please do not use IMO as a conduit to bring the DF into disrepute.
    Is this directed to me?? Confused as to how I would be bringing the df into disrepute..
    As for danno, do not try and tell me what to post. Get over yourself..

Post Thanks / Like
    SARMAN, Have CHC had many problems with tail failures on their AW139s?

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed Goldie Fish - Maybe we should open a separate thread on S92 gearbox problems - that should run for a while or maybe "not run" in some cases...!

I work for a living!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    SARMAN, Have CHC had many problems with tail failures on their AW139s?
    Have no idea, have not heard of any on the SAR aircraft, but I will look into it for you. Chc for all there faults do publish incident and accident reports!!

Pure hover.
    Ya why not open that thread, but no one in Ireland is operating the s92 yet so I do not think the local information on this type of aircraft would be available yet.. Good to see you back..

Post Thanks / Like
    The AC also publish incident reports, as all their incidents go through the AAIU.
    What's your point?

I work for a living!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Define an incident in the df. I think you will find the AAIU stands for air accident investigation unit. It is a legal requirement for the AAIU to investigate all air accidents in Ireland not the df to submit reports. An incident in the real world would be something quite small not an accident which is on the other end of the scale. That's my point.

I work for a living!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something similar to a serious car accident and a fender bender....

Thread Information