Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy Reserve

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like

Navy Reserve

Hey I heard there was a recruiting ban in effect :( But is it possible to still join the reserve and say not get paid?

Post Thanks / Like
    No.
    Same applies to all the RDF.
    There are threads on it elsewhere. Recruitment is very limited, you are either in it or you aren't, it isn't a question of money(you only get paid one or 2 weeks in the year in any case).

You should contact your local unit and they will be able to
    (a) give you a better idea of the situation on the ground
    (b) take your name so they can contact you when recruiting re-commences.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok cheers I was thinking of joining the Navy Reserve in Collins Barracks I'm currently 16 but I hear the garda approval thing takes ages to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    17 being the lower age limit and most won't even process you until you reach 17.
    Just visiting

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya but surely they could get me sorted with garda approval so I could join right when I'm 17. Its a waste of a year for them and me if im going through all that Garda red-tape

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondering when do ye meet up in Collins Barracks?

bosun
    Post Thanks / Like
    just use that shiny mobile in your pocket... make that call...

Seaman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack.s View Post
    Just wondering when do ye meet up in Collins Barracks?
    Brother was in that unit, (Cork right?) Tuesdays at 19:45 apparantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gone from Collins Barracks I understand. Now in Haulbowline. Ring first.

Seaman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    Gone from Collins Barracks I understand. Now in Haulbowline. Ring first.
    Just got confirmation, Haulbowline is only during the summer months.

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jack.s
    The NSR in Cork are back in Collins Bks for the winter. The NSR are not allowed to Recruit at the moment. We have 12 people who are in the system some have done meds ect and we won't be allowed to take these people in.I am afraid it is not looking good at the moment, this might all change when the value for money report come out, you never know we might even get disbanded.

If we start recruiting the we would be delighted to have you.

Hope this helps.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers lads,
    Will just wait and see. Might just hold off anyway for a few years is it true that if you become a bridge watchkeeper in the merchant navy you get an automatic commission in the NSR?

Seaman
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack.s View Post
    Cheers lads,
    Will just wait and see. Might just hold off anyway for a few years is it true that if you become a bridge watchkeeper in the merchant navy you get an automatic commission in the NSR?
    I think you technically can but you'd never gain respect from the men. I know a case from the Army Reserve where the officer in question was a laughing stock (obviously a different degee to a watchkeepers.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Might just hold off anyway for a few years is it true that if you become a bridge watchkeeper in the merchant navy you get an automatic commission in the NSR?
    No!
    Just visiting

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanachie View Post
    No!
    Whats the civvy status of a NS skippers ticket,is it a full Masters(unlimited) or is it confined to vessells under 3000t.

Private 3*
    Post Thanks / Like
    Danno as far as I know you get the same training as the NMCI civlians which is an unlimited officers ticket I think.
    Also sean according to the DF website they do! http://www.military.ie/careers/reser...alist-officers

Post Thanks / Like
    Not too familiar with STCW 95, however NS dack cadets have in the past got their initial seatime on a combination of NS and Merchant vessels(over 3000 T).
    However the type of activity the NS vessels normally engage in is more similar to that of a vessel over 3000T. Smaller vessels would not be at sea, for the prolonged periods normally seen by NS vessels. Most would be transiting for no longer than 2 days between ports.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that,I reckon its more so a long intercon passage that is more imp than seatime as such,otherwise trawler skippers would also qualify,all thigs being equal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    Thanks for that,I reckon its more so a long intercon passage that is more imp than seatime as such,otherwise trawler skippers would also qualify,all thigs being equal.

By the same reasoning, skippers on OSVs wouldn't nead any more that a trawler skipper ticket, but all have unlimited tickets.
    How often would a trawler based in Donegal visit Chile/Hong Kong/Estonia/Boston

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    By the same reasoning, skippers on OSVs wouldn't nead any more that a trawler skipper ticket, but all have unlimited tickets.
    "all things being equal"

Post Thanks / Like
    The way fisheries restrictions are shaping up Trawler skippers will be lucky to have a job and could well end up in any of the above working a fish processing plant!!!
    Just visiting

CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    The way fisheries restrictions are shaping up Trawler skippers will be lucky to have a job and could well end up in any of the above working a fish processing plant!!!
    It will be interesting to see the small print of the agreement reached in Brussels yesterday. On the face of it, it could be a good deal.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking along same lines,according to I Times Minister Coveney has secured a TAC of 250m for us.
    If you take into account the cost of the NS,new OPVs,BIM,Marine Inst,SFPA and fish components of det and NMCI plus the CASAs more must be spent than what it produces and an "fish protection/conservation" industry which prob has more fulltimers than persons fishing has grown up over the years.
    Other costs are pier and harbour expenditure and 50m annual CG heli bill which was commissioned at behest of fishing families.
    Is fishing really viable or is it a magnet fo state funds and the preserve of vested interests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like farming, the way we fish in this country is unsustainable as a profitable industry. Every coastal sea dog wants his own boat, fishing for the same fish that does not provide good return for the cost of catching.
    I spoke to a man recently who commuted 80 miles during makerel season daily, to fish in his tiny boat. The cost of his commute soon wiped out any profit he made. However he was happy to do so at a loss, and make up the balance of his annual income in the dole office.

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the "something for nothing" mentality at play.Could our entire TAC be fished by a dozen or so large boats with an inspector on board to monitor matters,the costs otherwise are completely daft.FOCN may be of similiar view with his MERC initiative to give the NS a viable role away from fishing.
    This question/issue might be a good topic for somebody in the NS doing their senior C&S for their thesis.

Thread Information