Navy Reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Reserve

Hey I heard there was a recruiting ban in effect :( But is it possible to still join the reserve and say not get paid?

No.
    Same applies to all the RDF.
    There are threads on it elsewhere. Recruitment is very limited, you are either in it or you aren't, it isn't a question of money(you only get paid one or 2 weeks in the year in any case).

You should contact your local unit and they will be able to
    (a) give you a better idea of the situation on the ground
    (b) take your name so they can contact you when recruiting re-commences.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Ok cheers I was thinking of joining the Navy Reserve in Collins Barracks I'm currently 16 but I hear the garda approval thing takes ages to get.

Comment

17 being the lower age limit and most won't even process you until you reach 17.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Ya but surely they could get me sorted with garda approval so I could join right when I'm 17. Its a waste of a year for them and me if im going through all that Garda red-tape

Comment

Just wondering when do ye meet up in Collins Barracks?

Comment

just use that shiny mobile in your pocket... make that call...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
                Just wondering when do ye meet up in Collins Barracks?
                Brother was in that unit, (Cork right?) Tuesdays at 19:45 apparantly.

Comment

Gone from Collins Barracks I understand. Now in Haulbowline. Ring first.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                    Gone from Collins Barracks I understand. Now in Haulbowline. Ring first.
                    Just got confirmation, Haulbowline is only during the summer months.

Comment

Hi Jack.s
                      The NSR in Cork are back in Collins Bks for the winter. The NSR are not allowed to Recruit at the moment. We have 12 people who are in the system some have done meds ect and we won't be allowed to take these people in.I am afraid it is not looking good at the moment, this might all change when the value for money report come out, you never know we might even get disbanded.

If we start recruiting the we would be delighted to have you.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Cheers lads,
                        Will just wait and see. Might just hold off anyway for a few years is it true that if you become a bridge watchkeeper in the merchant navy you get an automatic commission in the NSR?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack.s View Post
                          Cheers lads,
                          Will just wait and see. Might just hold off anyway for a few years is it true that if you become a bridge watchkeeper in the merchant navy you get an automatic commission in the NSR?
                          I think you technically can but you'd never gain respect from the men. I know a case from the Army Reserve where the officer in question was a laughing stock (obviously a different degee to a watchkeepers.).

Comment

Might just hold off anyway for a few years is it true that if you become a bridge watchkeeper in the merchant navy you get an automatic commission in the NSR?
                            No!
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by Seanachie View Post
                              No!
                              Whats the civvy status of a NS skippers ticket,is it a full Masters(unlimited) or is it confined to vessells under 3000t.

Comment

Working...
                              X