Confessions of a Gucci-Kit Monster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confessions of a Gucci-Kit Monster

Hello, My name is SwiftandSure, and I am a Gucci-Kit Monster.

While I've mentioned the odd time on here the gear I have, I've never shown it on here. This is my CEFO for rifleman role, some of it I've had since I was 15 in the ACF, some from the BA, the rest I've bought and blagged for my time in the RDF.

I've posted it up as an example to some, whilst looking for constructive criticism myself. Plus most of us love to talk about kit one way or another.

The principles I've tried to work towards with my CEFO are as follows:

- Try to maintain as a low a profile on the front and back of the rig so that I can lay in the prone position, and sit in a vehicle seat.
    - Keep weapons related gear on the left, and utility on the right.
    - Have a trauma kit to hand
    - Have navigational aides to hand.
    - Be able to survive and fight for 24hrs without my daysack, and 48-72hrs with daysack.
    - Daysack must have sufficient space to carry large SINCGAR + Batteries + Spare ancillaries. (I consider that the most bulky item to have to carry within the pack, so if I have space to pack that, I have space for spare link/ammo/pyro etc).
    - The distribution of kit across the rig has been designed that if I don't need it bugging out or assaulting a position, then it goes in the daysack. I want to be as light on my feet as possible.
    - There must be space available on rig to fit a Marconi PRR.

So here it is...

Chest Rig
    Warrior Assault Systems (WAS) Centurion Chest Rig. Working left to right, I have a WAS fold out dump pouch, 2x WAS Smoke Grenade pouches, on the left is a WAS medic pouch doubling as a utility pouch. On the upper panel, I have 2x WAS pistol mag/torch pouches, a WAS admin panel, Templar Assault Systems (TAS) GPS pouch, and WAS single point sling. Rear panel has a WAS hydration bladder pouch.

Belt Kit
    TAS padded MOLLE belt. Left to Right. 1x WAS double open mag, 2x WAS smoke Grenade pouches, 1x WAS large dump roll. 2x WAS small vertical utility pouches.

Daysack
    TAS Recon Patrol Pack Mk1, with WAS utility pouches on the front, and a WAS double mag pouch on the side.

In the Chest Rig

-Capacity for 8 mags in mag bank. The HK fits quite nicely in there too.
    -Behind mag bank in a zipped compartment I keep an OSI laminated map with marker pens.
    -Dump pouch, you'll note I have two, while I normally wouldn't advocate doubling up on kit, the thinking behind the two is that the lower dump is for mags, while the upper is for anything else that needs dumping mid attack - spare ammo, intel off a corpse/POW in a hurry, maybe an improvised NOD pouch. Also would be accessible if I need to fire from the seated position in a vehicle.
    - 2x smokes. Of the 4x smoke pouches I have, 2x have lifting tabs inside them, I believe they're designed to accommodate 2x frag grenades in the one pouch, the tab allowing you to pull up the lower grenade.
    - Above grenade pouch I've tied in a roll of black electrical tape, it's secured to rig via velcro cable tie.
    - Medic pouch
    -2x Israeli FFD
    -1x scissors
    -2x pairs of surgical gloves
    -1x CAT
    -1x Battlefield 1st Aid TAM
    -1x Permy marker (for morphine / TQ notification) (need to get colour other than red though)
    -4x Glowsticks 2x Red 2x Green
    -Detachable lanyard with emergency compass, whistle, White LED torch (for signalling), head torch (red filter), lighter, about 15m of Paracord.
    -12x Spare batteries (6x AAA 6x AA) for PRR, NODs, GPS, torches etc
    -Pills - painkillers, sh1tstoppers, caffeine boosters, compeed plasters, etc
    -1x Foil blanket

-Pistol mag pouch 1 has a monocular (because the optics on our rifles are poo)
    -Pistol mag pouch 2 has a penknife (proper swiss army job, was a gift, and can't afford a MUT yet)
    Admin panel
    -Notebook cover with rite in the rain note pad (and aide memoir), laminated report cards (cccc, ammo/cas, route cards, range cards, stag list) chinagraph pencils (sharpened both ends), mechanical pencil, 2x biros, fine permy marker, compass and stainless steel mirror.
    - A4 laminated map of immediate AO with satellite photo overleaf (usually with OSI grid overlay that I do myself)
    - pencil sharpener for chinagraph pencils (attached via paracord)
    -GPS pouch - Garmin 401 Foretrex - (a fecking must have!! love this gadget!)

On the flip side of the upper panel, the rig is designed to accommodate armour plates, but as we don't use them, I've slotted my Nirex book in there, with TAMs, templates, maps, aerial photography for mission critical data.

- Single point sling. I haven't trialled it yet, I'm taking a punt on it. I usually use an SA80 sling, but I find that the clip at the back can get caught between your daysack/bergan sometimes. So I'm going to give this one a go. Would anyone have any experience of similar slings?

-Hydration pouch, I have a 2L Source bladder, which I'll remove and place in daysack when carrying CEMO.

I also keep 2 large heavy duty zip ties handy for quick deployment for Prisoners or anything that needs fixing.

In the rear back panel I keep a lightweight folded Irish flag for spontaneous moments of conquest, photo ops, and as an emergency aerial recognition marker.

Belt Kit

- Double open mag pouch - two reasons, it's easier to access from the prone, or I can use them as a "last mag" indication.
    - 2x Smokes to compliment the chest rig, and helping to keep my front profile low.
    - Dump pouch, as explained, for mags.
    - 2 small utility pouches, I've gone small because, if I put a big pouch on there, it would only get filled. 1 pouch has E-rat with chem heater and small basic survival kit, the other houses a red filtered maglite, gloves (Mechanix M-pact), and cam cream. Simples

I'll put up about the daysack another day, as it's getting late. If you want links to where I got some of my stuff, just ask.

Unfortunately, so far this year, it's not getting a lot of the rough treatment it likes on the ground, but hopefully that'll improve soon. So forgive me for it looking so clean

where are your pace beads? i don't see any pace beads.

only joking, nice gear and top marks for enthusiasm.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

it seems that units in the east are a lot more pro-active in buying their own chest rigs/webbing etc. while i'm not criticising this (i'd love to see units in the west pick up on this a bit too and have myself considered getting something similar to the above) i just cannot justify the expenditure on kit i may use twice a year at most. I understand your circumstance S&S and fully understand various peoples want to buy all the kit out there but i reckon i've decided it's not for me. (pretty conclusive decision there!) the gear i use, i was given. was given a full set of CEFO by a mate, was given a good OG daysack by a mate...was issued everything else...
      I knew a simple soldier boy.....
      Who grinned at life in empty joy,
      Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
      And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
      With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
      He put a bullet through his brain.
      And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
      Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
      Sneak home and pray you'll never know
      The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Hydration pouch, I have a 2L Source bladder
        I like that you haven't been sucked into camelbak like everyone else, Source all the way!
        Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
          I like that you haven't been sucked into camelbak like everyone else, Source all the way!
          I do have a 3L camelbak thermobak that I keep in my bergen, but I'd trust the Source bladder to withstand the pressure of a daysack on top of it. I prefer the valve on the camelbak. But the Source bladder is slightly superior over the Camelbak.

Comment

Mrs H wants to know where you got them tiles
            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

good kit mate.
              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Impressive. A lot of thought has gone into it.
                'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Any chance of a photo of your weaing it..no need for face shot, just to see how its sits and what goes where.

Used to be a gucci Kit monster myself, probably one of those who started the Assault vest / chest rig thing with the RDF here while on PSOs.

Still have a nice Arktis Chest rig along witha few other bits but off loaded the stuff that had no futher use...like my purpose built PLCE rig with oversize pouches.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Small point, go for a LED maglite rather than the ordinary one, bulb and batteries last longer. Downside of it is that it won't take a wrist lanyard.

Comment

Swiftandsure you let me down with the title of this thread. You call yourself a Gucci Kit monster yet no sign of Oakley Gloves or Sunglasses and most importantly no FOGB combat knife.

Joking aside great kit setup. You should be proud of yourself. I'll have to get my Assault vest setup loaded up here as you've given me a few ideas and it would be rude of me not to return the favour.
                      To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Another thought - where are the titanium lightweight KFS? http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifevent...utlery-p116469

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                          Another thought - where are the titanium lightweight KFS? http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifevent...utlery-p116469
                          too noisy if using a metal mug etc.

also - you can't hide them in your kit when going through security.

stick to heat resistant killer plastic.
                          RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                            too noisy if using a metal mug etc.

also - you can't hide them in your kit when going through security.

stick to heat resistant killer plastic.
                            Good point, hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback lads. I look forward to seeing your loadouts if you have them to share.

Small point, go for a LED maglite rather than the ordinary one, bulb and batteries last longer. Downside of it is that it won't take a wrist lanyard.
                              Good point, well made mate. The Maglite is one of the legacy bits of kit that has been with me since the ACF; but it will eventually be replaced for something smaller and lighter that require less batteries and lasts longer.

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              Any chance of a photo of your weaing it..no need for face shot, just to see how its sits and what goes where.
                              I will try to get some photos up of me wearing it loaded with mags and bombs. I don't particularly want to put up a photo of me wearing full CEFO in my living room or garden. I suspect I won't have to wait long to get such photos

Used to be a gucci Kit monster myself, probably one of those who started the Assault vest / chest rig thing with the RDF here while on PSOs
                              It's always been a part of me, I love Gucci'ness! Here's me in the BA in 2001 rocking my old assault vest which I'd customised...

Plastic spork is in my left arm pocket. Where I keep an addition folded laminated AO map, Aerial photo on flip side, compass and pens. The thinking being that if I'm separated from my kit, (e.g. escaped POW, injured etc) I can still navigate myself to safety.

The one thing I will say about my Gucci kit is that I try as best as possible to keep it cost neutral. I have a one in, one out policy, whereby I'll sell my older custom gear to offset the cost of the new gear. In fact, I didn't even pay for the chest rig base, belt kit base, and active ear defence, they are my prize blagging trophies among other smaller blagged items!

Will try to post up the daysack later today.

Comment

Working...
                              X