• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my daysack....

Outer contents:
    Top left pouch:

- BooBoo kit - plasters / compeed / savlon / burns bandages / tape
    - SA80 cleaning kit - I keep a small cleaning kit in the rifle butt, just in case, but use this one for comprehensive cleaning.
    - Hand cleaner - To try to sanitise hands after weapon cleaning in the field
    - Comms cord reel - you know yourselves, for stag positions, track markers etc etc

Top right pouch:
    - Crusader mug and cooker set -separated by zip lock bags to avoid clinking between them
    - Gel fuel enough to last 2-3 days
    - Rations and sweeties

Bottom pouch
    -Empty - but should comfortably hold 150+ rounds of link or 2x SINCGAR batteries

Underside of the pack, out of view, there's a velcro holding for spare antennas, but I've used it to hold 30m of wrapped paracord (can never have enough Paracord)

There are also utility straps looped into the MOLLE on the underside and face of the pack to accommodate additional bulky items like SRAAW, SF tripod etc.

Inside the Pack

In main compartment
    Just a Gore-tex jacket, folded and secured by internal compression straps. I don't bother with the trousers, they'd take too long to put on, and only restrict my movement.

As mentioned earlier, I keep this space available for mission essential equipment. When empty, I pull the outer compression straps in to collapse the void of space. A full SINCGAR set fits perfectly into this pack, with the jacket too, all secured with the compression straps.

In the flap pocket
    - Woolly hat and shemagh (in ziplock bag)
    - Spare base layer (in ziplock bag)
    - Man wipes AKA Baby wipes

What goes in the pack is always up for debate. For example, I contemplate if I really want to carry a cooker in my CEFO as I probably won't need it on most patrols, but then if SHTF and we're exposed to the elements, compromised, or re-tasked there may well be the need to carry the facility to boil water.

I try to pack my kit so I can fulfil my role, and the role above me, i.e. carrying cas/ammo report cards and comms cord in case an NCO is dropped.

The kit is always evolving. Even now, I'm thinking of a method of securing my pack to my bergen via a means of quick release clips. I'd put two clips through the bottom corner MOLLE of the pack, and maybe one on the handle. That way, by putting the receiving clips on the PLCE bergans vertical "MOLLE" loops, I'd secure the base of the pack to the bergan, and then I'd tie a single (larger) quick release clip between the handles of the bergan and pack, securing the top. Will let you know how that goes.

BTW that reminds me, top tip, if you're throwing out any gear (mil or civ) and it has quick release clips, buckles, etc; cut them off and keep them in your sewing kit. You'll usually find a use for it later on. This helps with keeping the cost of customising kit down. Even if your just making up your own utility straps for example.

Any questions, fire away.

Comment

Hi there,
      the braided thing with the mini torch and such hanging off it? is that custom-made or a bought item? I'm done with Maglites and now use LED Lensers.
      regards
      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        Hi there,
        the braided thing with the mini torch and such hanging off it? is that custom-made or a bought item? I'm done with Maglites and now use LED Lensers.
        regards
        GttC
        I made that myself mate. It's not perfect, but does the job and will unravel easily enough. For instructions on how to do it, CLICK HERE
        Last edited by SwiftandSure; 16 June 2011, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post

Good point, well made mate. The Maglite is one of the legacy bits of kit that has been with me since the ACF; but it will eventually be replaced for something smaller and lighter that require less batteries and lasts longer.

I'd recommend this

Bought it the other day. Bit pricey but worth it. Great modular torch and very bright.
          To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

That's a nice daysack, what make is it?

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
              I'd recommend this

Bought it the other day. Bit pricey but worth it. Great modular torch and very bright.
              Cheers for the recommendation, I was looking at the sidewinder streamlight as a replacement, as I think having an IR capability is the way forward these days. When I'm flush again, I'll look into that. In the meantime, it'll be on my "Do Want" list.

Originally posted by smegers View Post
              That's a nice daysack, what make is it?
              Templar Assault systems Operator Patrol Pack Mk1.

There has since been a Mk2 with and integral frame which the Mk1 lacked (although it does help shaping the pack around the hydration bladder without the frame). And I'm reliably informed that there will be a Mk3 coming soon with internal MOLLE loops.

Trojan Group UK sell them, although their website is temporarily down.

Comment

Cheers for the recommendation, I was looking at the sidewinder streamlight as a replacement, as I think having an IR capability is the way forward these days. When I'm flush again, I'll look into that. In the meantime, it'll be on my "Do Want" list.

The torch has an IR filter as well as white and red light. The different attachments are deadly too. But again your choice.
                To close with and kill the enemy in all weather conditions, night and day and over any terrain

Comment

Originally posted by HavocIRL View Post
                  The torch has an IR filter as well as white and red light. The different attachments are deadly too. But again your choice.
                  Oh, I'd prefer your choice over the one I was looking at. It has White/Red/and IR functionality, comes with multiple mounts and is probably lighter. What's not to like? (besides the price)

Comment

Oh, how I wish I was allowed use a plate carrier...

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                      Wouldn't have thought you'd be a fan of plate carriers..............

Comment

Here is my daysack....

The most important piece of kit there has to be the moral booster of a Velcro patch!

Also some savage tips, cheers!
                        Last edited by Vamp369; 17 June 2011, 00:01.

Comment

What do people think of a "Post a photo of your kit" thread? Constructive criticism for all who wish to post?

Comment

i think it's a great idea - and will be a haven to share other good idea's.
                            RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

good idea imo. can show my basic diy kit
                              I knew a simple soldier boy.....
                              Who grinned at life in empty joy,
                              Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
                              And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
                              With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
                              He put a bullet through his brain.
                              And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
                              Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
                              Sneak home and pray you'll never know
                              The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                                You see, there are some advantages to being a reservist

Now if I could only be allowed to wear it on a POTs course......

Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
                                The most important piece of kit there has to be the moral booster of a Velcro patch!
                                fĂșck yeah, I love morale patches! I'd love to get something like this made up and have on my kit for the craic...

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                                What do people think of a "Post a photo of your kit" thread? Constructive criticism for all who wish to post?
                                Feel free to rename this thread. I think a "Post your loadout" thread is what we need in the run up to summer.

Maybe a "best morale patch" thread is in the offing too

Comment

Working...
                                X