X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My daysack

Webbing layout minus the waterbottle pouch

Mag pouch with penknife holder

My kit - Bottom right to left: mozzie net, penknife, cableties, insulating tape, small med kit, gloves (light, medium and heavy), head torch, cleaning kit, camo cream, bungies, tent pegs, metal mug, knee pads, knees, scrim scarf and para cord

that's basically it. emphasis on basic
    I knew a simple soldier boy.....
    Who grinned at life in empty joy,
    Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
    And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
    With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
    He put a bullet through his brain.
    And no one spoke of him again.

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
    Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
    Sneak home and pray you'll never know
    The hell where youth and laughter go.

Comment

why three pairs of gloves, Buck?
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
        Regarding maglites, I've just received one through the post that is a 2AA size and is LED, with a 100% power, 25% power, blink mode and SOS mode. Seems like a flash piece of kit! (I'd sent off one to them about 10 months ago that had a Duracell battery explode inside it, and never heard any more from them - until now!).

Also, they seem to have taken my comment to them that the LED Maglite needed a lanyard ring on it, as it now seems to have one!
        sounds good Flamingo, i'll have to keep an eye out for that one.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Seems nice. I have to cary a torch on my belt at work in case of emergencies (night, tunnels, etc), and have always had a Maglite, I think I'll be swapping it over for this one.
          'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
          'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
          Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
          He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
          http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Vamp369 View Post
            Post your kit sounds good
            Done

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              why three pairs of gloves, Buck?
              depends on the time of year, the light and medium are really just two different pairs of tac gloves i have. the heavy ones are thinsulate ones for colder weather

Comment

Not bad Buck.Keep it simple.I like that.
                You should try to lay your hands on another waterbottle pouch and a utility pouch.You can bin the large respirator haversack then and using a utility strap on the inside and a small thin bungee on the outside you can set up your CEFO so it fits like a glove.
                Trust me if you do this it is so comfortable you will wonder what you ever did before.

BTW if all that kit goes in your beltkit what goes in your daysack?
                Heres a few pics i got off the net showing what i am talking about.The two ammo and three pouches across the back setup is what i used myself when we had PLCE.Please ignore the bungee on the inside in the last pic.Utility stap is better for that purpose as it doesnt stretch.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by apod; 19 June 2011, 14:32.
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                  Not bad Buck.Keep it simple.I like that.
                  You should try to lay your hands on another waterbottle pouch and a utility pouch.You can bin the large respirator haversack then and using a utility strap on the inside and a small thin bungee on the outside you can set up your CEFO so it fits like a glove.
                  Trust me if you do this it is so comfortable you will wonder what you ever did before.

BTW if all that kit goes in your beltkit what goes in your daysack?
                  cheers mate. any idea where i'd get a utility strap suitable? A mate gave me that stuff but it was sans water bottle pouch so i'll try and get my hands on that and then the utility pouch you're talking about.

Not all that kit goes on the belt order, depends on the situation. Usually i'd have the water proof jacket in the daysack, the large pair of gloves, the head torch, cable ties, bungees, more water. it fills up pretty fast. in the utility pouch will be the small med kit, para-cord, camo cream etc. usually put the link in there too as well as the spare 5.56 blank ammo (if we get it!). The main issue at the moment is the fact that it's the large respirator pouch at the back. it's not usually full so it bounds around a bit, even when bungeed up. also, what is the point of the large strap on that? never figured it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                    cheers mate. any idea where i'd get a utility strap suitable? A mate gave me that stuff but it was sans water bottle pouch so i'll try and get my hands on that and then the utility pouch you're talking about.

Not all that kit goes on the belt order, depends on the situation. Usually i'd have the water proof jacket in the daysack, the large pair of gloves, the head torch, cable ties, bungees, more water. it fills up pretty fast. in the utility pouch will be the small med kit, para-cord, camo cream etc. usually put the link in there too as well as the spare 5.56 blank ammo (if we get it!). The main issue at the moment is the fact that it's the large respirator pouch at the back. it's not usually full so it bounds around a bit, even when bungeed up. also, what is the point of the large strap on that? never figured it out!
                    Utility straps can be got in most CQ's stores.They come with the PLCE issue Bergan.Try there first.You only need one. So a kindly CQ might have a spare one floating about.Failing that any of the UK mail order surplus stores stock them along with the likes of Army bargains in Dublin,Protac in the DFTC and Eureka in Middleton and Killarney.

That large resi pouch has always bounced around and will always do so.No matter how much you tie it down.The DF bought what was designed as a respirator haversack for the BA's S10 resi and bastardised it into a "large utility pouch" and decreed that it was to carry your poncho and waterproofs and a whole host of other crap.Eventually after painfull experience we copped on and took it off our CEFO and replaced it as i mentioned above.It then became waht it was always intended to be.A respirator pouch.
                    The strap on the back was there so you could carry the Haversack separate to your CEFO at all times if there was a CBRN threat and you were not on the frontline where CEFO was worn.The Haversack was designed to be worn on the left hip and their is a long piece of green cord also provided to allow the pouch to be secured around your leg whilst running to preven bounce.
                    Last edited by apod; 19 June 2011, 14:44.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Utility straps can be got in most CQ's stores.They come with the PLCE issue Bergan.Try there first.You only need one. So a kindly CQ might have a spare one floating about.Failing that any of the UK mail order surplus stores stock them along with the likes of Army bargains in Dublin,Protac in the DFTC and Eureka in Middleton and Killarney.

That large resi pouch has always bounced around and will always do so.No matter how much you tie it down.The DF bought what was designed as a respirator haversack for the BA's S10 resi and bastardised it into a "large utility pouch" and decreed that it was to carry your poncho and waterproofs and a whole host of other crap.Eventually after painfull experience we copped on and took it off our CEFO and replaced it as i mentioned above.It then became waht it was always intended to be.A respirator pouch.
                      The strap on the back was there so you could carry the Haversack separate to your CEFO at all times if there was a CBRN threat and you were not on the frontline where CEFO was worn.The Haversack was designed to be worn on the left hip and their is a long piece of green cord also provided to allow the pouch to be secured around your leg whilst running to preven bounce.
                      Cheers mate, cheers for the pics too. Will try and sort something out so you're saying 2 waterbottle pouches then?

Comment

cheers mate. any idea where i'd get a utility strap suitable?

Comment

Cheers mate, cheers for the pics too. Will try and sort something out so you're saying 2 waterbottle pouches then?
                          Whatever you can get.OG PLCE is getting harder to find these days.My preference was for two utility pouches and a single BA issue waterbottle pouch.Make sure you get a BA issue WB pouch as they are bigger than the DF ones(sized to accept a 58 Ptn waterbottle with a "crusader" mug underneath.The crusader is the current DF and BA issue metal mug used for brewing up in) and they also have a separate sleeve inside to taker your Hexi cooker or brewkit.The BA ones also have the quick release press fasteners at the rear.
                          The utility pouches are one large compartment each.I used to keep one empty for GPMG link etc .The other one usually held my RCK,IFAK and Cam cream/mozzie rep etc.
                          heres another source for the straps.

(Webbing and bergans/Issue PLCE webbing DPM camo/items 11-17.)
                          Last edited by apod; 19 June 2011, 16:51.

Comment

Whatever you can get.OG PLCE is getting harder to find these days.My preference was for two utility pouches and a single BA issue waterbottle pouch.Make sure you get a BA issue WB pouch as they are bigger than the DF ones(sized to accept a 58 Ptn waterbottle with a "crusader" mug underneath.The crusader is the current DF and BA issue metal mug used for brewing up in) and they also have a separate sleeve inside to taker your Hexi cooker or brewkit.The BA ones also have the quick release press fasteners at the rear.
                            The utility pouches are one large compartment each.I used to keep one empty for GPMG link etc .The other one usually held my RCK,IFAK and Cam cream/mozzie rep etc.
                            heres another source for the straps.

(Webbing and bergans/Issue PLCE webbing DPM camo/items 11-17.)
                            Cheers Apod

Will try to get my hands on something but I was thinking of staying more in the OD side of things alright...the mixed camo webbing just doesn't sit well for me must try and source these things now though...was looking at protac but it seems that they only have the Irish OD ones or Protac Camo ones...

Comment

cheers buddy!

Comment

Will try to get my hands on something but I was thinking of staying more in the OD side of things alright...the mixed camo webbing just doesn't sit well for me must try and source these things now though...was looking at protac but it seems that they only have the Irish OD ones or Protac Camo ones...
                                At this stage, you will have an awful time trying to get OD PLCE webbing.
                                About the only place selling it anymore is Silvermans in the UK as they tend to sell older webbing for re-enactors.

However, the stuff in Protac is not Irish Army stuff, it is a copy of the old Brit OD so it has better connections than the Irish stuff and is the same size as the British stuff. Not great quality for the new stuff. However they used to sell second hand British stuff so I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X