Naval Service Fleet Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
    I wasn't asking whether or not they're the standard issue ones, I'm asking why the collars are bigger.
    There not

Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      They are standard army flakers.

paul is right, if you go overboard wearing one of these you will sink like a stone.
      If you go overboard, sinking will be the least of your worries.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        If you go overboard, sinking will be the least of your worries.
        It would be a fairly big worry i'd think, the whole being dead thing can be a big downer

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
          It would be a fairly big worry i'd think, the whole being dead thing can be a big downer
          The cold will get you long before you drown.

Comment

the big choice as to being dead from a ballistic wound or drowning.

Comment

The cold will get you long before you drown.
              Cold water, shock, can't breath etc etc

But how can you expect to have any chance of living if your a couple of hundred feet underwater before the ship gets back?

Or do you just give up before even falling in

Comment

Cold water, shock, can't breath etc etc

But how can you expect to have any chance of living if your a couple of hundred feet underwater before the ship gets back?

Or do you just give up before even falling in
                Why did you fall in in the first place though?
                It doesn't happen, accidentally.

Comment

Why did you fall in in the first place though?
                  It doesn't happen, accidentally.
                  So what your saying is, no one ever falls in....ever?

Comment

So what your saying is, no one ever falls in....ever?
                    Not accidentally.

Aboard ship, one has to go to a lot of trouble to "fall" overboard. One has no reason to be on deck in heavy seas, and if you do the rule is "one hand for yourself", i.e, keep at least one hand anchoring you to the ship. Railings on the main decks are quite tall, and even a child would have difficulty slipping through them.
                    The only risky time is when going from ship to another craft, and this is when lifejackets would be worn anyway.

Comment

We seem to totally avoiding the original question I've asked and we have ended up in a infinite loop

They were wearing heavy CBA, IF they go over, they will sink, fast, why are they not wearing the inflatable life jackets with the CBA?

Comment

How do you know have you tried it lately?
                        But there's no danger
                        It's a professional career
                        Though it could be arranged
                        With just a word in Mr. Churchill's ear
                        If you're out of luck you're out of work
                        We could send you to johannesburg.

(Elvis Costello, Olivers Army)

Comment

We seem to totally avoiding the original question I've asked and we have ended up in a infinite loop

They were wearing heavy CBA, IF they go over, they will sink, fast, why are they not wearing the inflatable life jackets with the CBA?
                          Because falling over the side is not a realistic risk.
                          It just isnt. Unless you first climb over the 4 foot high railings.
                          If it was, everyone on the ferry to the UK would be wearing lifejackets all the time.
                          But they don't.

Why don't crew wear immersion suits when they go to sleep in their bunks?
                          Why don't the air Corps pilots wear parachutes on the government jet?
                          Why don't infantry wear safety boots?
                          Why don't Gardai on the beat wear Riot helmets?
                          Why don't car drivers wear crash helmets?

Comment

I give up

Comment

I give up
                              Thank you.

It isn't a risk, simple as that.

Comment

I give up
                                Agree with Goldie. A full risk assessment conducted specifies that there is no requirement for wearing a Personal Flotation Device when on Action Stations & closed up to weapon systems (so long as there are not guardrails struck). As can be seen from the mounts, there are no guardrails struck.

Assess the risk:
                                A competent trained individual falling in between fixed guardrails, or taking incoming in a real situation. I know which one will win out.

Goldie may be blunt! But he is right.

One has to remember that risk assessing takes into account that it's a competent trained individual. Therefore, ships have guardrails (built to an international classification standard I might add), to prevent a competent trained individual falling overboard while going about their expected taskings onboard (which on an NS vessel includes manning weapon systems).

Minigun crew on HMS CLYDE at their action station.... no Personal Flotation Device worn.

Comment

Working...
                                X