Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Helmet strap for new style issue Irish helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lads in my unit have purchased MICH ACH helmets online.

Level 3A ballistic protection.

Looks like the rabintex AND you can actually wear hearing protection properly with it.

i will replace my old bag of sh*t helmet myself too after borrowing a new rabintex one for the last ex I was on and seeing how much more comfortably you can operate when your hearing protection fits snuggly without cutting off the blood flow to your head.

The RDF helmets should be replaced, current issue RDF helmets are not safe enough. when was the last time their protection and state of repair was properly evaluated, what about the bacterial fungus that grows on many of them when left in storage?? surely THAT is a H&S issue?
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Our cq personally issued our 3 star platoon with a set of PLCE, helmet, Bergen, rocket pouches, yoke last year so everyone has a helmet of some sorts however the majority of the helmets were in absolute shite, missing most of the internals and while they probably retained the ballistic protection without the proper internals to fit them they would probably be utterly useless in a contact situation as a result a high percentage of troops are using gucci kit either Brit helmets, chest rigs, battle vests even bergens. If npeople have the kit they should be allowed use it
      it, I have even seen the cadre staff lending their IPLCS to some lads. Seems to me to be an issue of unit politics as to what some officers their allow troops to use
      Last edited by Celtic-Warrior; 5 July 2011, 16:01. Reason: Wrong text
      Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Are the rabintex helmets available online?
        Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
          Seems to me to be an issue of unit politics as to what some officers their allow troops to use
          I was one bolloxed by an officer for wearing a brit chest rig and daysac and all I did was look down at his bad American dpm copy vest and said noting, he quickly realised the point I was making and walked off
          Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic-Warrior View Post
            Are the rabintex helmets available online?
            You could try contacting Rabintex directly yourself.Dunno if they will sell to individuals but you could try.
            Heres a link to our current issue helmet.Know as the RBH303AU on the site but sold to us as the IE model.Follow the "contact" link to email them.
            "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
              You could try contacting Rabintex directly yourself.Dunno if they will sell to individuals but you could try.
              Heres a link to our current issue helmet.Know as the RBH303AU on the site but sold to us as the IE model.Follow the "contact" link to email them.
              http://www.rabintex.com/ProductView.asp?ID=8
              Better off emailing daniel technologies in dublin, they won the tender to supply the helmets to the DF, they list rabintex as one of their suppliers still. http://www.danieltechnologies.ie/
              Everyone who's ever loved you was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                I have the direct opposite problem, fat head syndrome, I never found one that fit correctly and I spent an hour going though about 200 of them, no labels of course!
                I hear you, brother! Nothing worse than a (hot) day in the butts with a too-small Israeli helmet cutting the head off you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicklaman View Post
                  I hear you, brother! Nothing worse than a (hot) day in the butts with a too-small Israeli helmet cutting the head off you.
                  Hot day running around is worse! the headaches a too small helmet give you are unreal.
                  Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

22 posts about a helmet strap.. must not be much happening

Comment

If your not interested you dont have to post about it!
                      "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                        Mate, if I had to go to war with the RDF, and I had the choice of buy my own helmet and take the consequences off some H&S jobsworth bollocking me, or wearing the issued, 10-20 year old helmets, which aren't personally issued, are missing most of the internal fittings and the structural/ballistic integrity of which is well and truly compromised at this stage after being thrown on and off trucks with every range practice since it came into RDF service; I'd sooner take the bollocking on the chin and let the H&S twat lose his head, rather than me lose mine.
                        1. As the RDF is a voluntary part time organization you will never have a personal issue of a helmet. That is why they are issued on a pool basis when you are going on camp/exercise.

2. All helmets old and new used by the DF go through stringent testing to make sure they are up to the standard required by the DF and since the RDF in recent times have not been operational and are rarely in the public eye then of course they will be well down the pecking order of the issuing of the new helmet.

3. If you injure yourself while you are on exercise and you are wearing something other than the issued helmet you wouldnt have a leg to stand on if you were to seek compensation.

And finally let's break this down to what it's really about. You just want to look cool, stop your crying. I to had to wear the old style helmet, yes it was missing parts it was heavy and uncomfortable but guess what I still wore it. Face it, buying helmets for personal issue to the RDF is gonna be an expensive endeavor. The RDF is not used and basically not required presently. Big respect to your enthusiasm as an organization but you guys gotta realize you're like the younger brother, you're always gonna get the hand me downs.

Comment

Originally posted by AATWT View Post
                          2. All helmets old and new used by the DF go through stringent testing to make sure they are up to the standard required by the DF and since the RDF in recent times have not been operational and are rarely in the public eye then of course they will be well down the pecking order of the issuing of the new helmet.
                          So what? The tests done on the RDF's helmets would have been a few decades ago. You do know that helmets have a shelf life right?

Almost all ballistic fibers degrade over time. Most kevlar helmets have a shelf life of about ~10 years, with manufacturer warranties only lasting for 5 years. And that is if the helmets are well looked after and kept dry.

So the results of those tests have long gone out of date.

3. If you injure yourself while you are on exercise and you are wearing something other than the issued helmet you wouldnt have a leg to stand on if you were to seek compensation.
                          So what? The original argument was to avoid the injury in the first place!

If you want to wear the issue helmet for the sole purpose of looking for a claim then more power to ya!

If you injured your head while wearing a proper helmet you can count yourself lucky that you weren't wearing the issue one because you wouldn't have any brainpower left to understand what "compensation" means.

The issue helmet has pressure points all over it that stick into the users head, which for a lot of people causes headaches as well as pain on that area. If you were to fall in such a way that you landed on that part of the helmet then that pressure point is what is gonna cause the injury in the first place.

Face it, buying helmets for personal issue to the RDF is gonna be an expensive endeavor.
                          Not really. It depends on where you get it. It's possible to get a PASGT/SPECTRA type helmet with a superior padding system for less than €100.

Comment

Working...
                          X