NS shows how its done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NS shows how its done.

Well done to FOCNS for some forward thinking.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Politics.ie seem to have picked it up too.

Comment

According to Cdre. Mellett, “.....I could see clearly that I would never be able to compete in the context of large aircraft carriers or large submarines or Tomahawk missile deploying ships..."

Does that mean small aircraft carriers and small submarines are a possibility?

Comment

VERy far thinking, however dOES HE ENVISAGE THE NS becoming a research or an SME development unit or a part of the DF. It may be difficult to reconcile both roles .. from development to potential destruction,

Comment

Originally posted by BANDIT View Post
          VERy far thinking, however dOES HE ENVISAGE THE NS becoming a research or an SME development unit or a part of the DF. It may be difficult to reconcile both roles .. from development to potential destruction,
          You could compare it to NASA or Boscome down in the early days-only nautical. The experience of the NS available to civilian research. Everyone gains, and it keeps the useful minds near the naval base also.
          Everyone wins.

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
            According to Cdre. Mellett, “.....I could see clearly that I would never be able to compete in the context of large aircraft carriers or large submarines or Tomahawk missile deploying ships..."

Does that mean small aircraft carriers and small submarines are a possibility?

Not that I would accuse you of nitpicking, I believe he is making the distinction between our ''Corvette'' type Navy, as distinct from those who operate ''capital'' units, as his submission is for public consumption, not just for us in the 'know'', at the same time not ruleing out the possablity of our NS operating considerably larger vessels, which many are of the opinion that we must get, not to be the bully on the block, but because of the increasingly bad conditions encountered in the North atlantic.
            Probally just stateing the obvious and definitly my own opinion.
            "We will hold out until our last bullet is spent. Could do with some whiskey"
            Radio transmission, siege of Jadotville DR Congo. September 1961.
            Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
              You could compare it to NASA or Boscome down in the early days-only nautical. The experience of the NS available to civilian research. Everyone gains, and it keeps the useful minds near the naval base also.
              Everyone wins.
              or you could interpret it a paying navy personnel rates of pay well above normal post graduate research levels to do something that isn't what they are trained and paid to do!! are navy not a very expensive option for this type of work? doesn't make sense to me, we have no shortage of highly educated young people in the country...?

Comment

What type of work do you think they'll be doing?

Comment

Originally posted by Smithy View Post
                  or you could interpret it a paying navy personnel rates of pay well above normal post graduate research levels to do something that isn't what they are trained and paid to do!! are navy not a very expensive option for this type of work? doesn't make sense to me, we have no shortage of highly educated young people in the country...?
                  isn't that why the NS is engaging with the likes of UCC though. Each side doing what they do best ...
                  Irish Naval Service Photos

Comment

UCC is the other player in NMCI

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                      UCC is the other player in NMCI
                      No it isnt.

Comment

Apologies goldie CIT

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                          Apologies goldie CIT
                          Don't apologise to me, apologice to everyone in NMCI.

MERC3 however is a partnership that includes UCC, NMCI(CIT) and the Naval service, and others.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
                            Don't apologise to me, apologice to everyone in NMCI.

MERC3 however is a partnership that includes UCC, NMCI(CIT) and the Naval service, and others.
                            UCC Coastal & Marine Research Centre have been based in the Naval Base for a number of years, this is where the ties have built up between the NS & UCC.
                            MaREI is the world-leading Science Foundation Ireland Research Centre for Energy, Climate and Marine, coordinated by the ERI at UCC.

Comment

Weren't they based in the Block that went on fire?

Comment

Working...
                              X