New PLCE Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PLCE Design

Alrite lads, Im a product designer working on new personal load carrying equipment for troops in operational environments. (daysack, bergen, battlevest) Any of you who have worked with these types of kit intensively, I would be very interested to talk to you or maybe just leave some comments for me to look at and take into consideration.

The end product created will benefit soldiers so please come forward with anything you feel needs improving or even including.

Who are you?
    What are your credentials?
    What experience do you have?
    Are you mil/exmil etc?

Comment

Originally posted by fiannoglach View Post
      Who are you?
      What are your credentials?
      What experience do you have?
      Are you mil/exmil etc?
      answer these then you'll be issued with your welcome to IMO Voucher

Has to be done for Sec

Comment

Do you work for PROTAC?
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Product Design professional, working on the area of Redesign of personal load carrying equipment in both exercise and operational environments. Looking for feedback from soldiers who have a strong understanding of the equipment from direct experience.

I have very little military experience, this is why I am turning to this forum for more information and user involvement from those who know this equipment inside out.

I do not work for PROTAC.

Comment

Nope I sure dont, This is a personal design project with the intention of being picked up by a large manufacturer.

Comment

Madra Mor
              i have serice in both PDF and RDF.I have used PLCE and the current Chest rig style.
              The big problem with the chest rig is when you go to ground you have this stuff on your front so its hard to crawl,move etc.
              However its ecellent for Mech Inf and Heli op's and you cab=n access everything very easily.
              A cross between the two would be great.

Comment

Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions!
                The project has taken a slight change in direction, i am now focusing on the bergen/main pack and i am looking to seriously overhaul that design and general idea. I would really appreciate any insight you would have into working with this kit.

Regards
                madramor

Comment

Originally posted by MadraMor View Post
                  Thanks very much for your comments and suggestions!
                  The project has taken a slight change in direction, i am now focusing on the bergen/main pack and i am looking to seriously overhaul that design and general idea. I would really appreciate any insight you would have into working with this kit.

Regards
                  madramor
                  PM me and i will try to help you out.
                  "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

Molle is the future....
                    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                      Molle is the future....
                      I second that, modular is the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                        Molle is the future....
                        Your correct......to a point.

The MOLLE system is very successful and is currently in use by the Yanks. However this as a method of personal load carrying does not suit the Irish or British method of operational deployment.

And it is also very defeatist to just accept MOLLE as the best when even personal accounts from US soldiers show that it is very flawed.

Im seeking to create something new here, not to give too much away here but there are certain aspects and environments of use that have been totally overlooked by EVERY PLCE design.

Constructive feedback needed lads....... Whats bad with what you have?
                        There is a huge opportunity here to get the design right from the start but i need your problems as of now to address them

Comment

Originally posted by MadraMor View Post
                          The MOLLE system is very successful and is currently in use by the Yanks. However this as a method of personal load carrying does not suit the Irish or British method of operational deployment.

But the British have completely switched to MOLLE in Afghanistan and a significant amount of the current Irish IPLCS is MOLLE. Hence your argument is fundamentally wrong.
                          Most of the issues with MOLLE come from people not knowing how to use the system properly or overloading pouches.
                          Then again, the problems with old '58 Pattern and the '90 PLCE came from people not knowing how to put it together properly or loading it wrong.

However, if you want an issue with PLCE - it is that you could spend ages getting your kit to fit right and someone orders you to change it at the last moment. You now have something that is a complete disaster until you have time to sit down and spend getting it right again. You end up nearly having to have a webbing for rifle training, one for duties and one for tactics & operations. Is there any way of getting a system that fits together quickly, securely (and I mean securely) and doesn't require pliers and additional belts/straps/etc. to stop from moving all over the place when you are moving. I'm a MOLLE convert for the simple reason that it meets a lot of these issues when fitted properly.
                          But the RDF uses PLCE which means I have to use it.

Comment

DM I have a great book called Battle Rattle I must drop you over some time covers this stuff in some detail.
                            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                              You end up nearly having to have a webbing for rifle training, one for duties and one for tactics & operations.
                              Why do you think that?
                              The one set up should cover all roles, the only pouch you should need to be removable is the respirator pouch.

Comment

Working...
                              X