Another Steyr user worldwide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Steyr user worldwide?

I heard somewhere recently that the Dutch Military have adapted the Steyr AUG at the general issue assault rifle. Has anyone else heard more about this? Useful in Liberia if this is the case...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

US Customs Service is also a Steyr user.
    Just another piece of useless info.............!!!
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

The Dutch issue rifle is the Diemaco C7.

Comment

I know there were some tan coloured Steyrs made for middle eastern countries but Im not sure if they were accepted for general service.

Who else uses it as their Standard sidearm?
        Austria
        Australia
        New Zealand
        Falklands Defence force

Anyone else?
        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Saudi Arabia.

The Dutch CISM rifle team spent a few days in Ireland about 10 years ago coaching a few of us in Kilcoran. We let them all fire the Steyr and ran a falling plates competition against them. They liked the Steyr and said that the Dutch army had tested it.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          Originally posted by hedgehog
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Oman and Malaysia are supposed to have them as well.
            "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

I definitely heard that some european country had adapted them. Could the dutch Marines be using a different personal weapon to the rest of the army?

Comment

No mention of it on the dutch MOD site, the army appears to use the Diemaco series, as does canada btw.
                "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Luxembourg and Saudi Arabia also use the Steyr

sorry,groundhog already mentioned the saudis. indonesia, tunisia and ecuador (dunno if thats spelled correctly) use the steyr as well by the way.

come-quickly are you sure the kiwis use them? i thought they used M-16A2's

Comment

Kiwis use the Australian built steyr.

Comment

It is also very popular in the movie world, anybody remember commando with arnie. Near the end when he tries to rescue "Jennieeee", the bad man, benidict has a steyr. There was also another film, some martial arts type film that used the steyr, cant remember the name though.

MOD:This is all very interesting Joker but it is not relevant to the thread. STICK TO THE THREAD.
                      Last edited by Joshua; 22 November 2003, 00:25.
                      If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Does anyone know how the Falklands Defence Force managed to get themselves equipped with the Styer, given the fact that the Brits (purely for pride and economic reasons it seems) insist on everyone but SF's using the flawed SA80 ?

(sorry chaps, my magazine fell off again) :-patriot:
                        "In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." Erwin Johannes Eugen Rommel

Comment

Because the Falklands are not part of the UK!

They are a self governing country under the protection of the United Kingdom. So therefore they are not part of the British Armed Forces. Whilst on the subject Ecuador also use the Steyr as do some paramilitaries in the Indonessian police.

Comment

The FIDF only use the Steyr as an LMG. They use the SA80 as the standard issue rifle. Which confuses things even more..

Comment

xxxxxxxx
                              Last edited by Guest; 22 November 2004, 13:42.

"When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love."

Marcus Aurelius Roman Emperor (161 to 180 A.D.)

Comment

Working...
                              X