DF Parachute course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF Parachute course

I was wondering whether there is an upcoming parachute course with the PDF next year. I want to do the parachute course and will probably end up doing a civie course aboard but this means that my jump wings may not be recognised by the DF. Can anyone give me any more information please?
    Don't tell them Pike

In short, yes, a course is usually run annually

You must have your fitness test completed for that year

Am unsure if there is a place specifically for an RDF applicant, or whether these
    would come under the course allocation for each Bde

Some preference is given to those with previous parachuting experience
    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

A cpl. from the 65 was on it this year AFAIK. He did however have a lot of experience (think a pre-req is being able to pack your own chutes) so wouldn't count chances if you don't have a lot of experience. Ask around about the relevant DF parachute club.

You may be met with the same response that I got from the ADG "no baggers allowed!"

IIRC The DF also don't recognise foreign (texel) wings.
      Last edited by Duffman; 28 November 2011, 15:08.
      "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Originally posted by kheal041 View Post
        I was wondering whether there is an upcoming parachute course with the PDF next year. I want to do the parachute course and will probably end up doing a civie course aboard but this means that my jump wings may not be recognised by the DF. Can anyone give me any more information please?
        As far as I know there is a lot of demand for the parachute course (PDF & RDF) and preference tends to be given to those who demonstrate an interest in the sport. So if you are interested in getting on the course you should do a civie one first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
          As far as I know there is a lot of demand for the parachute course (PDF & RDF) and preference tends to be given to those who demonstrate an interest in the sport. So if you are interested in getting on the course you should do a civie one first.
          ... and therein lies the problem - the fact it is regarded as a "sport", rather than a
          military course... else why would An Para Cumann Mileata conduct the course ?
          "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
            . the fact it is regarded as a "sport", rather than a
            military course... else why would An Para Cumann Mileata conduct the course ?
            I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong. But could it be down to the fact that the Irish army does not operate in an "airborne" capacity?? Bar the rangers would any member of the DF need to be inserted by parachute for anything other than sporting reasons?
            "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

http://www.planepictures.net/a/105/39/1308645456.jpg

interior of a Turkish CN235 which has been rigged to carry troops for parachuting... wonder could ours be easily reconfigured the same way seeing how they are supposedly modular?
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

The CASA's have been used for parachuting before.
                It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
                  A cpl. from the 65 was on it this year AFAIK. He did however have a lot of experience (think a pre-req is being able to pack your own chutes) so wouldn't count chances if you don't have a lot of experience. Ask around about the relevant DF parachute club.

You may be met with the same response that I got from the ADG "no baggers allowed!"

IIRC The DF also don't recognise foreign (texel) wings.
                  If I remember correctly a "bagger" used to and maybe still does instruct on the course?

AFAIK its run to give the new wing members a basic parachute course (static line) but to make the course feasible they open a number of places to the PDF, one is usually reserved for a member of the RDF but its very hard to get it and the requirements to get tghe course are strict enuf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
                    If I remember correctly a "bagger" used to and maybe still does instruct on the course?
                    Correct, and not a million miles from you either...

Comment

Members of the ARW get preference on places on the course as they have to do the basic before they could progress to HALO and HAHO.Usually the balance of places go to the PDF applicants and the occasional RDF member usually with a lot of experience the last article about it in An Cosantoir had an RDF corporal on the course who had completed a couple of hundred jumps if memory serves me correctly! Is the civvy/Dutch course.expensive?
                      Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                        Correct, and not a million miles from you either...
                        True...

Comment

If you have an AF154 for a minibus you would be on the course without a bother.

Comment

yeah, but you can easily get your drivers course if you had your wings! lol, af154's are like hens teeth unless you're in the correct corps.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                              yeah, but you can easily get your drivers course if you had your wings! lol, af154's are like hens teeth unless you're in the correct corps.
                              True, i've been trying to get on one for years!

Comment

Working...
                              X