DF Parachute course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
    Ask around about the relevant DF parachute club.

You may be met with the same response that I got from the ADG "no baggers allowed!"
    Ask the RDF Rep of PCM then..... yes there is one and he is an RDF sergeant who instructs on PCM courses.

There has been a recent move away from sports parachuting towards tactical/military parachuting.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffman View Post
      Bar the rangers would any member of the DF need to be inserted by parachute for anything other than sporting reasons?
      I have been an exercises were a recce detachment was parachuted in, but its a rare occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
        You can't wear wings of any variety on DPM anymore anyway, so the willy waving is gone.
        Seriously?! since when?! You can't put wings on your dpms anymore if you pass the course?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Tezza View Post
          Seriously?! since when?! You can't put wings on your dpms anymore if you pass the course?
          Correct as of 2010. New AI

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
            Correct as of 2010. New AI
            Ah, didn't know that, does the same go for a marksman course too? do ya still get to wear wings on ur no 1s?

Comment

Ah, didn't know that, does the same go for a marksman course too? do ya still get to wear wings on ur no 1s?
              Irish Parachute wings still worn on SD No. 1s, 2s & 3s.
              There is no Marksman "Course" - are you referring to the Sniper Course? Either way,worn on SD No. 1 & 2s only.

For more info read the AI (AI A9)

Comment

Originally posted by Docman View Post
                Irish Parachute wings still worn on SD No. 1s, 2s & 3s.
                There is no Marksman "Course" - are you referring to the Sniper Course? Either way,worn on SD No. 1 & 2s only.

For more info read the AI (AI A9)
                sorry i was referringg to the marksman badges but they're only on SD anyway i think, although in saying that I could be wrong...

Comment

All your shiny stuff and badges on your SD 1 to 3. Nothing on your DPMs

Comment

Hi all
                    the old Casa, 250, was permanently rigged for parachuting as it had static line cables running the length of the cabin. In 252 an 253, they basically throw themselves off the ramp.

regards
                    GttC

Comment

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
                      All your shiny stuff and badges on your SD 1 to 3. Nothing on your DPMs
                      Sorry for being off topic but i think that is counter productive, if you do a course you want to be able to show what you have done, be it a marksmans badge, parachute wings or whatever. Having pride in ones unit and individual endeavors in my opinion is very important, even something as having a unit insignia on ones unifrom can do this I think.

At the moment everyone wears the same uniform and its nigh on impossible to differentiate who belongs to what unit, are they from an infantry company or support of logs? even a badge on your right shoulder would help this and bring back that comradery that each unit once had.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        Ask the RDF Rep of PCM then..... yes there is one and he is an RDF sergeant who instructs on PCM courses.

There has been a recent move away from sports parachuting towards tactical/military parachuting.
                        No there hasn't.

No Unit outside of the ARW has any kind of parachuting capability. The DF itself has no kind of parachuting doctrine.

All this talk of moving away from sports parachuting is bollocks. Same with the talk of getting recce detachments trained in jumping, there's a million and one things recce detachments need before learning how to jump.

/Rant.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                          In 252 an 253, they basically throw themselves off the ramp.
                          They look as if they are HALO/HAHO jumps not static line.

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post
                          No there hasn't.

No Unit outside of the ARW has any kind of parachuting capability. The DF itself has no kind of parachuting doctrine.

All this talk of moving away from sports parachuting is bollocks. Same with the talk of getting recce detachments trained in jumping, there's a million and one things recce detachments need before learning how to jump.

/Rant.
                          See An Cosantoir:

- the course about 2 years ago that was covered includes jumping for AW139s with kit

- a CAPSTONE exercise covered included recce insertation by parachute

Comment

- the course about 2 years ago that was covered includes jumping for AW139s with kit
                            Like I said, there's no Unit or doctrine within the DF, outside of the ARW, for para operations.

They can talk about military parachuting courses all they want, it has no application within the DF.

Again, nothing to do with what Recce detachments are actually instructed on or part of their doctrine.

It was just something to try make the Ex a little bit more gucci. Why a detachment which only operates out to 10k beyond the FEBA for the most part feels the need to jump in is beyond me.

Comment

See An Cosantoir:

The DF run both static line and free fall parachute courses.
                              The static line course is a 'military' type using round canopies and are basic courses with no experience required.
                              The free fall parachute course is a 'sports' type course using ram-air parachutes and only for experienced persons who meet the strict application criteria.

There will be no move away from 'sports' parachuting in the DF especially with the success of the Black Knights parachute team.
                              The DF encourage the partake in sports especially adventure sports and run courses in kayaking, mountaineering, rock climbing, sailing, scuba diving etc and units also run their own competitions and events.

Comment

Sorry for being off topic but i think that is counter productive, if you do a course you want to be able to show what you have done, be it a marksmans badge, parachute wings or whatever. Having pride in ones unit and individual endeavors in my opinion is very important, even something as having a unit insignia on ones unifrom can do this I think..
                                +1 Tezza

/Topic

Originally posted by Hello Alaska View Post

/Rant.
                                Well said Alaska. Here was me thinking that there was a superduper sneaky beeky elite airborne recce ellement emerging.

So in effect (and not taking away from the achievement and dedication of the lads) its a Millitary sports club. With people from the DF involved who are trained for the millitary application of the said sport. A lot like the ADG
                                "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Working...
                                X