Lee Enfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lee Enfields

Trying to do so research on Lee Enfields disposed of by the Irish Army .

It appears that some unknown number were disposed of by dumping at sea , if anyone has any information about this with regard to type and numbers disposed of and when it happened I would be grateful for the information .

I'm not sure if this falls under things that shouldn't be discussed in public (for all I know, like the FNs we might actually have a cache of them somewhere). Mods?

Comment

any dumping at sea was done with boxes with holes drilled in them the contents were only known by higher authority and was called ordnance for disposal...

Comment

It was well known that ordnance was dumped from naval vessels off the cork coast.

In unrelated news, it is believed the "aud", when it sunk off the cork coast was carrying a box of 10 FN FALs, along with numerous boxes of 7.62x51, a H&K USP and 36 rounds of 9mm........

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicklaman View Post
          I'm not sure if this falls under things that shouldn't be discussed in public (for all I know, like the FNs we might actually have a cache of them somewhere). Mods?

So you cant tell us if they have a cache of Lee Enfields but you you can tell us that the DF have a cache of FN's somewhere?
          Last edited by apc; 2 December 2011, 14:37.

Comment

Why not ask here

I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

Comment

From what someone who conducted the actual dumping told me, the crates were broken open with axes and no crate or container was allowed to enter the water unpierced. Every individual ammunition packet/can/box was pierced. Most of what went in, according to my former colleague's account, of his one trip to the sea dump, was time-expired artillery rounds from old calibres, old Bofors rounds, old mortar rounds and old small arms ammunition of British origin. A lot of the stuff had manufacture dates of 1940s/50s. Some firearms were jettisoned, after they had been broken open, ie, recievers uncovered.

regards
              GttC

Comment

Originally posted by apc View Post
                So you cant tell us if they have a cache of Lee Enfields but you you can tell us that the DF have a cache of FN's somewhere?
                That's already public knowledge (it's where the "new" spotter FNs are sourced from).

Comment

All the old coastal artillery ammunition from Spike was dumped, disposing of time expired munitions was always done this way. The Brits dumped tons of the stuff off the coast of Northern Ireland, was a bit of a contraversy about it a few years back.
                  Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

An old qartermaster told me he loaded them onto a container which was sold to canada. I think he said many of the rifles were brand new unfired.this was ten years ago or more . I think the canadians sold them as huntnig rifles..........

Comment

Originally posted by rhino View Post
                      An old qartermaster told me he loaded them onto a container which was sold to canada. I think he said many of the rifles were brand new unfired.this was ten years ago or more . I think the canadians sold them as huntnig rifles..........
                      I've heard both stories - that they were dumped off the coast, and that they were sold to Canada as hunting rifles. It also wouldn't surprise me that some were still 'as-new' - I happened to see a 'new' Gustaf some years ago, fresh out of storage!

Comment

Take bunnyshooter's advice. the story is well told there.

regards
                        GttC

Comment

Can an Irish service Lee Enfield be purchased in Ireland with the ff markings .I know they can be got in the u.s .never seen one for sale .I know Lee enfields can be got in certain gunshops

Comment

was on a good few ammo dumps all everyone wanted to do was get rid of all the boxes of old crap and after two or three hours on deck no one cared what was in them...the thing is only very few can hold a weapon above .22 calibre in ireland...

Comment

As long as you hold a valid reason for the rifle target /deer hunting there is no problem .anything up to a .308 is unrestricted bolt action .could some one identify what happened all Irish rifles and small arms brens Gustafs ppks baps .I read in papers fns went to India

Comment

Working...
                              X