Socks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socks?

What is the opinion regarding socks currently? For a while everyone swore by sealskinz, then we were being told to wear 2 pairs of sports socks, then for a moment in time, the issue socks were actually quite excellent.

What is the thinking today? Nowt worse than cold, or sore feet in a pair of otherwise comfy combat boots.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

standard issue ECW socks are brilliant, wear them over a pair of lycra/cotton socks for extra warmth or anything arduous.

worked a treat in Canada and i wore them today in comfort for hours in a frozen field while those around me whinged how cold their feet were.

you can pick them up for about a fiver.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

I use Bridgedale trekkers. Best socks I've ever worn.

Comment

Bridgedale trekkers for the summer.Bridgedale Summits for the winter.Sealskins if your feet/boots get soaked.
        Having said that the issue "socks trekking" (used to be known as the tropical socks) are excellent during warm weather and for battle PT/tabs etc
        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

1000 mile socks are the greatest socks I've ever worn, I swear by em and haven' had a bad blister since I've used em.

Comment

Originally posted by Keef View Post
            1000 mile socks are the greatest socks I've ever worn, I swear by em and haven' had a bad blister since I've used em.
            +1
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

ditto on the 1000 mile socks never had a blister with them.

Sealskinz I've never used but I'd imagine they're just a unified version of the drysocks/goretex socks basecamp routine.

Bridgedale are another rock solid brand but what it really comes down is having a system worked out for your wet dry/basecamp/trail routines.

E.g. 1 to wear on the trail/ground, one to wear in basecamp/harbour + goretex bootees while your trail/patrol pair dry off.
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I normally just use everyday black sport socks but when.on the assessments i got the boots soaked so im now looking unto a couple of pairs of different types, I was thinking a decent pair of bridgedale/ 100cmile socks until the feet get wet then switching to the the sealskins at the earliest opportunity until the boots dry then putting on trekking socks thus keeping feet reasonably dry? What do ye think would this type of routine work?
                Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

Not sure about Sealskinz but with the old style goretex/socks/ bootees you'll do murderous things to your feet walking in them for more than a short hop around the perimter/to the latrines.
                  "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Feet get wet.Wait till you get to Patrol harbour/base.
                    Change socks one foot at a time(IE only one boo/sock is off at any one time in case you get bumped).
                    Wet sock off.Dry &Powder foot.Sealskin sock on,wet boot back on.
                    Repeat for other foot.
                    Wring out wet socks as much as is humanly possible.Hang damp socks down inside front of trousers by looping top of socks between waist belt and trouser top.Helps to dry them.
                    Going back out on patrol?
                    Sealskinz off and back into ziploc bag(they will now be wet on outside remember so make sure wet side out in the bag).Bag goes back into Bergen.
                    Damp socks back on.Keep repeating process until socks dry.
                    Points to note!
                    1/ Don't sleep in damp socks.Dry ones on if TACSIT allows boots off in dossbag. Skinz on inside damp boots otherwise.(sandbag over each boot to keep dossbag clean)
                    2/Dry out your wet socks in manner described whilst in dossbag.
                    3/Another way to dry out boots is to keep rotating dry socks until boots dry.problem is you need to carry loads of dry socks to do this and you then end up with loads of wet socks.Not good if out for a long time in the field.
                    Last edited by apod; 22 January 2012, 22:12.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

when.on the assessments i got the boots soaked
                      Forgot to ask.What boots are you using?

Comment

Using Haix at the minute but there is a split coming between sole and boot on one foot so not sure how long they will last! Am using them as barrack boot and tactics boot as i hate the magnums!
                        Train Hard Fight Easy!!!!

Comment

See if your CQ will replace them for you.Failing that i would advise picking up a set of Lowa Combat GTX's(if your budget allows).They are the dogs gonads.Great field boot.
                          I would also advise if you do go out and spend your own shekels to buy a field boots that you TRY to wear your issue Light Op boots around Bks.If only to preserve the sole on your new boots for the ground.
                          (Thats the whole idea of Bk boots in the first place)

Comment

Originally posted by apod View Post
                            Lowa Combat GTX's(if your budget allows).They are the dogs gonads.Great field boot.
                            +1 on the Lowas amazing boot, never had a problem with them and they feel sturdy enough to kick down a mountain!
                            "Many a time a man's mouth broke his nose"

"Don't waste money buying expensive binoculars. Simply stand next to the object you wish to view."

Comment

Hi all
                              i bought Meindl socks in Protac today. Eu15 a pop. Any opinions on them?

regards
                              GttC

Comment

Working...
                              X