Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
    He says the IAC support the EAS, the EAS will be established permanently. The working group is deciding how best to provide the EAS and the IAC are involved till Sept.
    I don't see where he says IAC will be operating the EAS permanently.
    I didn't say that he said the AC should be permanently involved "evaluation... Clinical need....established on a permanent basis"

Comment

• Bloody idiots. I hope they catch them soon.

Air ambulance carrying sick child was targeted by laser aimed at pilots

Laura Larkin12 July 2014 10:24 AM

AN air ambulance was targeted by a blinding laser beam as it was transferring a critically ill newborn child to hospital.

The infant was being moved from Letterkenny to the Rotunda Maternity Hospital for urgent treatment when it was hit by the high-frequency green laser.

For those trying to pilot the aircraft, it was like "looking into a bright green sun".

It happened 10 minutes before the helicopter was due to land in Dublin at 10.10pm as it flew over Co Cavan on Wednesday night.

A doctor and a nurse from the Rotunda were looking after the newborn who was in an incubator at the back of the 12-seater aircraft. As the team were rushing the baby for life-saving care, the pilots had no choice but to continue their flight.

Pilot David Browne, a captain in the Irish Air Corps, said: "The (laser) strike lasted about a minute. First the cockpit was filled with an intense green light, it was like looking into a bright green sun. The laser then moved into the rear of the aircraft where the medical team were attending the infant.

"You have to remain professional and concentrate on the job and shield your eyes as best you can," said the pilot.

Laser strikes – particularly with the higher frequency green laser – are becoming increasingly common according to the Air Corp.

On this occasion, tragedy was narrowly avoided, as the strike occurred just before the pilots began using their night vision goggles.

"Literally another five minutes and our goggles would have been down and that would have increased the hazard hugely," said the 39-year-old. "My co-pilot had already tested his to see if it was dark enough to use them yet, but we had just enough light to fly without them."

The eyewear is designed to intensify any available light source – but are rendered useless when hit by laser beams.

"Not only are lasers temporarily blinding, they can also cause lasting retina damage," said Mr Browne.

The young patient arrived at the hospital and remains there, in a serious condition.

Irish Independent
      'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
      'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
      Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
      He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
      http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Dublin Airport has been targeted in the past

Comment

• This is the new Bill, soon to be law. It replaces the 'Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act' as the law to be applied to Laser strikes.
          PART 7
          MISCELLANEOUS AMENDMENTS – AIRPORTS
          Prohibition on dazzling aircraft
          43. (1) A person who deliberately or recklessly directs or shines a light at or in the direction of—
          (a) a pilot or co-pilot of an aircraft,
          (b) a person involved in the operation of the flight of an aircraft, or
          (c) a person carrying out air traffic control services,
          so that the light may dazzle, distract or confuse the pilot or person in the performance of his or her duties commits an offence.
          (2) A person who commits an offence under this section is liable—
          (a) on summary conviction to a class A fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both, or
          (b) on conviction on indictment—
          (i) where the person is an individual – to a fine not exceeding €50,000, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both, or
          (ii) where the person is a body corporate –to a fine not exceeding €250,000, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.
          (3) In this section—
          “aircraft” means any machine that can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air other than the reactions of the air against the earth’s surface;
          “air traffic control service” means a service provided for the purposes of—
          (a) preventing collisions between aircraft and, on the manoeuvring area, between aircraft and obstructions, and
          (b) expediting and maintaining an orderly flow of air traffic.
          Last edited by Tenet; 16 July 2014, 01:51.

Comment

• The IAA says there were 158 incidents of this type in 2013
            The AC alone has had 20 this year

Comment

• DeV do those figures include GASU?

Comment

• Think so

Military register aircraft and military piloted

Comment

• The pilot EAS air ambulance based in Athlone has been extended again until December. Its going to be made permanent once the Government approve the decision and will probably be made public on budget day. There is also a plan to make it a 24hr service.

Comment

• A link to pictures of Medevac 112 taken by my Son David, I think they are some of the best ones I have seen so far, 112 arrived into Galway Hospital pad this week and after handing over their patient they very kindly took off and landed on the nearby pitch to allow Rescue 115 land on the pad who also had a casualty for the hospital. Please like or comment on the pictures .

Link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Comment

• Very nice shots. Maybe Galway needs a second pad. Seems to be a busy place of late. BTW why does the EAS helo have skids fitted?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post
                        BTW why does the EAS helo have skids fitted?
                        The EAS helicopter is expected to land in unprepared landing sites in all weathers so slump protection pads are fitted. It adds great flexibility to the service allowing the aircraft to land just about anywhere, getting as close to the casualty as possible. The EAS has even landed in peat bogs.
                        Last edited by Rhodes; 17 October 2014, 20:28.

Comment

Very nice shots. Maybe Galway needs a second pad. Seems to be a busy place of late. BTW why does the EAS helo have skids fitted?
                          I'm not sure they have the space? It's been a while since I've been in the grounds there, but it always struck me as pretty congested, as for carparks/ Flat roofs, I'd imagine the rooftops would probably need re-engineering, and parking there is pretty bad at the best of times.

Comment

Very nice shots. Maybe Galway needs a second pad. Seems to be a busy place of late. BTW why does the EAS helo have skids fitted?
                            There is hardly a day or night goes by without 112 or the Coastguard coming in, Rescue 118 just gone in the last hour, there are rumours that they may leave the temporary pad as a secondry pad as there is no doubt it is very busy there. time will tell but its a wonderful service by both services.

Comment

• High pressure tires not suitable for landing on soft terrain requiring snow skis to be fitted which prevents undercarriage from being retracted which reduces top speed

Comment

• Originally posted by Spark23 View Post
                                High pressure tires not suitable for landing on soft terrain requiring snow skis to be fitted which prevents undercarriage from being retracted which reduces top speed
                                Don't think so - type pressure has nothing to do with helicopters landing on soft terrain - more to do with Weight of the helicopter on the surface in question. IRCG hehicopters are heavier still - why don't they have skids fitted if they're involved in EAS ops?

Comment

Working...
                                X