Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SARMAN View Post
    Also I have heard a 139 leaving Athlone around half three/four most days, is it going home every day? Or is there another reason for this?
    The service is available in Athlone from 8.00 to 18.00.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      The service is available in Athlone from 8.00 to 18.00.

Oh OK, must have been busy for the three jobs that I was called to, but heard it leave Athlone today heading to Bal at around 1530, could have just been a equipment/crew change.

If you know this Rhodes can you answer any of my other questions??
      Although I have walked in the valley of the shadows of death I fear no evil...

Comment

• It's daytime VFR only. End of VFR today was 16:55. It does not go beyond 1800 for crew duty times I'd imagine(taking into account positioning to and from Bal).

I'm sure the answer to the refuelling question would be available in house if you are SAR crew. There are no permanent fuel facilities, it is bowser based so that may have some impact on quantities in situ. It would not surprise me if it has been overlooked thus far given the whole operation is still in its infancy.

There is also the question of the size of the landing area and whether or not you could land an S92 when the site is occupied by the on call aircraft.

Comment

• Square in Athlone is plenty big.
          There is an increase across the board in CG aircraft being requested by NACC to assist land ambulance crews. There is definitely more awareness amongst ambulance crews that they can request helicopter assistance. With HEMS approved 92's coming online I'm sure these requests will become more frequent. Perhaps a thread on HEMS in the CG thread?

Comment

Oh OK, must have been busy for the three jobs that I was called to, but heard it leave Athlone today heading to Bal at around 1530, could have just been a equipment/crew change.

If you know this Rhodes can you answer any of my other questions??
            I've no idea but I do know the helicopter doesn't always go back to Baldonal in the evening and spends in night in Athlone.

Im sure the locals (or more likely a local) will not be happy if noisier helicopters use Athlone.
            Last edited by Rhodes; 25 January 2013, 00:23. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

I've no idea but I do know the helicopter doesn't always go back to Baldonal in the evening and spends in night in Athlone.

Im sure the locals (or more likely a local) will not be happy if nosier helicopters use Athlone.

OK, nosier or noisier not sure if thats just a typo. S92 is noisier but not nosier!!!, but its not as if it would be used on a regular basis provided the 139 is available.

Comment

• The S92 is a lot bigger and heavier than a AW139, I wonder would it be able to land on a closed road?

No guarantee the pilot scheme will become permanent (AC or otherwise) or will be extended.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                  It's daytime VFR only. End of VFR today was 16:55. It does not go beyond 1800 for crew duty times I'd imagine(taking into account positioning to and from Bal).

I'm sure the answer to the refuelling question would be available in house if you are SAR crew. There are no permanent fuel facilities, it is bowser based so that may have some impact on quantities in situ. It would not surprise me if it has been overlooked thus far given the whole operation is still in its infancy.

There is also the question of the size of the landing area and whether or not you could land an S92 when the site is occupied by the on call aircraft.
                  I know the square in Athlone would be big enough for the two, and I am talking about VFR op's only also, night times HEMS requires more forward planning which should be coming soon, and hasty drops into Athlone would not be on that plan.

1800 for duty hours sounds about right, how is that going to work in the summer months? And leaving Athlone to get back to Bal at 1530 must have been a ferry flight or something as VFR is over an hour after that, unless of course an air ambulance tasking came in. But I would presume that the medivac 112 call sign would still be used.

I understand what your saying about just having a bowser, but its not as if we would be looking to plan a long range mission from Athlone. Will do some more digging in-house, but I would not hold my breath. Good news is just heard today that Galway airport will be available for the next while, good to have it close to GUH.

Comment

OK, nosier or noisier not sure if thats just a typo. S92 is noisier but not nosier!!!, but its not as if it would be used on a regular basis provided the 139 is available.
                    Yes typo. Noise complaint(s) have been made since the service started.

Comment

• Hi SARMAN,

I don't think that summer VFR times will have any impact on times. At the moment crews rotate in and out on the aircraft so 1800 would seem to be the limit. Whether or not that situation will change is a valid question.

Regarding the 1530 departure I wouldn't imagine that the ferry to Bal was the issue as the aircraft are IFR capable. There is still a good window yet to make a VFR departure and transition to enroute IFR after that.I would say it had more to do with the fact that after 15:30 there is no possibility of completing a mission in the daylight VFR remaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
                        The S92 is a lot bigger and heavier than a AW139, I wonder would it be able to land on a closed road?

No guarantee the pilot scheme will become permanent (AC or otherwise) or will be extended.
                        If it can land in a bog in Connemara, (like last weeks HEMS) it could land on road surface. Only major difference is its always operated to civil HEMS rules. Hopefully the pilot scheme will be extended its really making a difference to patients who need it. I think it been a massive success by the AC and the HSE.

Comment

Yes typo. Noise complaint(s) have been made since the service started.
                          Thats not good. Do they realise its for the public, then again they probably do not care...

Comment

If it can land in a bog in Connemara, (like last weeks HEMS) it could land on road surface. Only major difference is its always operated to civil HEMS rules. Hopefully the pilot scheme will be extended its really making a difference to patients who need it. I think it been a massive success by the AC and the HSE.
                            That's great to hear. I think an extension is pretty much a guarantee so.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jetjock View Post
                              Hi SARMAN,

I don't think that summer VFR times will have any impact on times. At the moment crews rotate in and out on the aircraft so 1800 would seem to be the limit. Whether or not that situation will change is a valid question.

Regarding the 1530 departure I wouldn't imagine that the ferry to Bal was the issue as the aircraft are IFR capable. There is still a good window yet to make a VFR departure and transition to enroute IFR after that.I would say it had more to do with the fact that after 15:30 there is no possibility of completing a mission in the daylight VFR remaining.
                              Fair point, but I have been reading all sorts of stuff about the 139 being able to do HEMS missions in 10 minutes etc.

Comment

• I believe the departure was a tasking to Kildare that ended in Tallaght.

How much training weight fuel can the 92 carry and what kind of range would that give it? If the western region hospitals are being heavily used by 112, would this not negate a requirement to refuel in Athlone, especially if fuel is available in Blacksod? I understand the differences between the ops where SAR birds can get retasked and the AC bird is probably doing the required training during the repositioning phases. The limitation of a training weight fuel load is not imposed on the 139 as it does not have to guarantee hover fly away performance so it has possibly has a little more flexibility before accepting a tasking enroute to or from Athlone.

The AC operates a number of different fuelling options. If the 2000L trailer is in place in Athlone an S92 would probably take a great big chunk out of the dedicated fuel for the day. If they placed the old Finner setup in Athlone, not so critical. A139 can carry over 1500L in one tank. Two or three taskings could easily leave the bowser at 'bingo', especially if it is not being replaced any time soon. I imagine a quick co-ordination with the CG should allow the S92 crew almost immediate feedback on the status of the availability of fuel at Athlone and the timings and acceptance decision would hinge on that. Certainly Athlone is big enough at most times, but it is an operational military installation and the day to day movement of vehicles and equipment may be communicated to the 139 crew but could cause issues for the arrival of a larger helicopter that might not be in the loop.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I hear the guys position on goggles before and after the VFR daylight limits where it fits with the crew duty times to maximise the VFR availability.
                                Last edited by Scorpy; 25 January 2013, 00:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X