No announcement yet.

Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting the use of goggles for positioning. I stand corrected.

Comment

• Anyone know if the Coast Guard are charging the HSE

Comment

• Originally posted by Scorpy View Post
        I believe the departure was a tasking to Kildare that ended in Tallaght.

How much training weight fuel can the 92 carry and what kind of range would that give it? If the western region hospitals are being heavily used by 112, would this not negate a requirement to refuel in Athlone, especially if fuel is available in Blacksod? I understand the differences between the ops where SAR birds can get retasked and the AC bird is probably doing the required training during the repositioning phases. The limitation of a training weight fuel load is not imposed on the 139 as it does not have to guarantee hover fly away performance so it has possibly has a little more flexibility before accepting a tasking enroute to or from Athlone.

The AC operates a number of different fuelling options. If the 2000L trailer is in place in Athlone an S92 would probably take a great big chunk out of the dedicated fuel for the day. If they placed the old Finner setup in Athlone, not so critical. A139 can carry over 1500L in one tank. Two or three taskings could easily leave the bowser at 'bingo', especially if it is not being replaced any time soon. I imagine a quick co-ordination with the CG should allow the S92 crew almost immediate feedback on the status of the availability of fuel at Athlone and the timings and acceptance decision would hinge on that. Certainly Athlone is big enough at most times, but it is an operational military installation and the day to day movement of vehicles and equipment may be communicated to the 139 crew but could cause issues for the arrival of a larger helicopter that might not be in the loop.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that I hear the guys position on goggles before and after the VFR daylight limits where it fits with the crew duty times to maximise the VFR availability.
        Scorpy, that 139 was not on a HEMS tasking as it was calling dirrect to Bal and not on medevac 112 call sign.

Standard training fuel for the 92 varies from sortie to sortie but we would normally carry about 2-3 hours of fuel, but when you get tasked on your way home which has happened twice recently you have to look at alternatives. Using Blacksod as a fuel destination when operating in the mid-lands or Shannon patch shows your lack of west coast expossure! You would be passing Knock to get there. Blacksod is a good long range site but inland HEMS missions all centre around medical centres, i.e, Galway/Limeirck/Cork.

I totally understand if the corps are using a trailer bowser, I would have thought the would have a standard bowser and not one of the small ones. But a Finner style set-up would be good for everyone I would have thought.
        Although I have walked in the valley of the shadows of death I fear no evil...

Comment

• Originally posted by Clacks View Post
          Anyone know if the Coast Guard are charging the HSE
          At post 601 it appears CG AA work is part of contract funded by DoT.

Comment

• If Air Corps are charging and CG arent thats a bit lop sided. Cant see DoT continuing with that forever.

Comment

• Well now, you could also maybe say that the State is finally getting some value for money couldn't you?

Comment

• My understanding is that life and death missions are not charged but AA and HEMS are??? Anyone know better?

Comment

My understanding is that life and death missions are not charged but AA and HEMS are??? Anyone know better?
                  Airport to Airport are billed to the HSE everything else isn't.

Comment

• Cant see that holding

Comment

• Originally posted by Pure Hover View Post
                      Well now, you could also maybe say that the State is finally getting some value for money couldn't you?
                      From the AC or CG?????

Comment

Cant see that holding
                        Why not?

Comment

• If the HSE need to compare their options at the end of the trial they need to compare costs too. I imagine if CG are not charging AC will be rightly annoyed that it makes them look expensive?

Comment

I imagine if CG are not charging AC will be rightly annoyed that it makes them look expensive?
                            €500 odd million of a charge paid by Gov for service provision isn't exactly cheap either. CHC just charged up front, AC charge per transaction. AC will probably never run up a bill of that size for all the times they provide service over same period of time of CHC contract.
                            An army is power. Its entire purpose is to coerce others. This power can not be used carelessly or recklessly. This power can do great harm. We have seen more suffering than any man should ever see, and if there is going to be an end to it, it must be an end that justifies the cost. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain

Comment

• your chip is showing

Comment

• Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
                                €500 odd million of a charge paid by Gov for service provision isn't exactly cheap either. CHC just charged up front, AC charge per transaction. AC will probably never run up a bill of that size for all the times they provide service over same period of time of CHC contract.
                                How much will the AC cost the tax payer in the same period as the current CG contract? Ill bet it's more than the cost of the CG contract.
                                It's a wonder PH didn't jump all over ya and correct your figures to 520 million or something like that!

Comment

Working...
                                X