Air Corps air ambulance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
    "Since its launch last June, the Air Corps's Emergency Aero Medical Service has carried out 285 missions, airlifting patients with heart attacks, strokes and serious road traffic injuries.

However its trial period has now come to an end.

The Department of Defence says it will make a decision on the future of the service within the next twelve weeks."

Me thinks the cost of €700,000 of an air ambulance is the NAS crew cost etc only

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Me thinks the cost of €700,000 of an air ambulance is the NAS crew cost etc only
      An Advanced Paramedic would earn about €40,000 per year.

Comment

• Me thinks your wrong DeV.
        Im Ron Burgendy??

Comment

The Aircraft is crewed by 1 NAS Advanced Paramedic, and 1 Air Corp EMT, how would this equate to €700,000?
          I went into an Italian restaurant and ordered dessert and they gave me tiramisu and a blindfolded horse and I said No, I said mask a pony (mascarpone)

Comment

• To use the argument that has been used on other threads--- those HSE staff don't cost anything extra as they are bein paid anyway therefore it's not an extra expense.
            It's worth noting these HSE staff DO NOT get a cent extra for volunteering to work on the EAS.

On another point I don't think it is widely know that the HSE had active participation in the selection of medical equipment on the S92's. The 92's are HEMS approved by the IAA so me wonders what the HSE plan is going forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
              An Advanced Paramedic would earn about €40,000 per year.
              Originally posted by tonyrdf View Post
              Me thinks your wrong DeV.
              Originally posted by Liachta Cultaca View Post
              The Aircraft is crewed by 1 NAS Advanced Paramedic, and 1 Air Corp EMT, how would this equate to €700,000?
              Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
              To use the argument that has been used on other threads--- those HSE staff don't cost anything extra as they are bein paid anyway therefore it's not an extra expense.
              It's worth noting these HSE staff DO NOT get a cent extra for volunteering to work on the EAS.

On another point I don't think it is widely know that the HSE had active participation in the selection of medical equipment on the S92's. The 92's are HEMS approved by the IAA so me wonders what the HSE plan is going forward.

On reflection your right but €700,000 for a road ambulance?

Having said that a road ambulance will cover a lot more than 285 call outs.

You are forgetting the 2x pilots wages.

The IRCG helos will be doing air ambo ops under the new contract.
              Last edited by DeV; 15 June 2013, 21:05.

Comment

Surely you mean CHC helicopters as the IRCG only contract helicopters. Was this very expensive SAR contract not for just that SAR, funny that guys in the UK didn't think CHC were the company of choice, how is that investigation going into the UK contract scandal?

Comment

The rate of CG calls to support the HSE has gone off the scale since October, since the STEMI protocols called for helicopter assistance to get patients to dedicated facilities within 90 mins.
                  Since the start of the year there have been a large increase in other calls to assist land ambulance crews for trauma and non STEMI medical calls.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                    The rate of CG calls to support the HSE has gone off the scale since October, since the STEMI protocols called for helicopter assistance to get patients to dedicated facilities within 90 mins.
                    Since the start of the year there have been a large increase in other calls to assist land ambulance crews for trauma and non STEMI medical calls.
                    So MB you are doing the STEMI as you are trying to justify the cost of the contract, what happens to the poor fisherman in the water, Ogh yes one of other helis goes as you have 99% serviceability rate until you are called! Are the CHC helis declaring themselves U/S to the NAC when they are offline?

Comment

• Do you have any substance to the claims you are making hm? Because it sounds like you are accusing crews misleading the IRCG. Evidence? No because dedicated professionals don't conduct a professional world class SAR service in such ways.

When has a fisherman been left in the water because of a CG helicopter on a STEMI call? Give us some examples please?

The CG a/c are linked to an integrated computer system that links each base to each other and to the MRSC's and the NMOC. All involved have access to this right up to the director of the IRCG. It's updated constantly as to aircraft serviceability.

Your a very bitter individual that casts wild accusations here with no substance. You need a little thread all to yourself to jump up an down in.

Anybody see a thread about air ambulance around here!!? :D

Comment

• Originally posted by Happyman View Post
                        Surely you mean CHC helicopters as the IRCG only contract helicopters. Was this very expensive SAR contract not for just that SAR, funny that guys in the UK didn't think CHC were the company of choice, how is that investigation going into the UK contract scandal?
                        I know who owns them but it doesn't say CHC on the side.

Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                        Do you have any substance to the claims you are making hm? Because it sounds like you are accusing crews misleading the IRCG. Evidence? No because dedicated professionals don't conduct a professional world class SAR service in such ways.

When has a fisherman been left in the water because of a CG helicopter on a STEMI call? Give us some examples please?

The CG a/c are linked to an integrated computer system that links each base to each other and to the MRSC's and the NMOC. All involved have access to this right up to the director of the IRCG. It's updated constantly as to aircraft serviceability.

Your a very bitter individual that casts wild accusations here with no substance. You need a little thread all to yourself to jump up an down in.

Anybody see a thread about air ambulance around here!!? :D
                        He didn't accuse CHC of misleading the IRCG, he accused CHC of misleading NACC.

An aircraft can't be in 2 places at the same time, whether it be 2 SAR calls or a SAR & an HEMS call.

Comment

• Dev, he says "oh yes you have 99% serviceability until you are called"

CG SAR a/c aren't declared to NACC, they assist when requested so naturally they don't automatically inform NACC if a/c is offline for scheduled maintenance or unservicable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meatbomb View Post
                            Dev, he says "oh yes you have 99% serviceability until you are called"

CG SAR a/c aren't declared to NACC, they assist when requested so naturally they don't automatically inform NACC if a/c is offline for scheduled maintenance or unservicable.
                            And the following sentence says?

The only declared asset it has is the EAS helo.

The whole point is that and aircraft that could be used is supposed to be tracked - as you well know this was the result of an incident - 1 of the parties being the Silgo helo

Comment

• Can I ask a very simple question?

An IAC helicopter is based in Athlone. It routes to each incident from its base, right?
                              Now, how does it react to places such as Kilrush and Achill Island from Athlone faster then the CG assets stationed in an area that they fly over? The 112 Facebook page is very quick to quote flight times FROM THE SCENE vs TOTAL transit times by ambulance but don't show the total mission times (ie AP on scene calls AA or goes by road), vs waiting for the helicopter from Athlone to the scene and then to the hospital. What is the actual time benefit??????

How many patients could have been better served by a helicopter transfer by the local non IAC / HSE controlled asset rather then the midlands based asset?????

The only scenarios that could have seen this happen is:

1. The IAC helicopter was just finishing a mission in a nearby hospital and got retasked. Good call by all involved; or
                              2. The IAC crew are sitting on a pad in a random hospital to save flight hours (see below) rather than routing back to Athlone after the mission is complete. (Ref DH248 accident report and EASA / JAR OPS 3 HEMS Regulations on rest areas)

Now you may ask why No 2 is important but the reason is quite simple. The operation was given to the IAC as they were the lowest price. This was, unless I'm mistaken based on the operational cost of a 135. However, it would seem that despite the change from 135 to 139 and the associated escalation in cost the DoH are still only paying 135 costs while the DoD are footing the bill for the difference from the 139 to the 135. (More then happy to put an FOI to the DoH an post here if any body fells necessary). The end result is that, as usual, Johnny taxpayer is paying more then at first shown for a service provided by the IAC.
                              Last edited by Tadpole; 16 June 2013, 03:37.

Comment

• Rhodes,
                                The videos you posted is an Irish Coast Guard S61N only transporting patients on exceptional circumstances. What happens to the IAC EAS operational area when the IRCG have a fully HEMS capable S92 in Sligo? I wouldn't want to be the AP explaining the delay in patient treatment because I waited for 10-15-20-25 mins for a HSE dedicated asset rather then asking whats actually available? Pass this on to 4 bases in Ireland and how many of the 248 missions will actually be flown, to the benefit of the patient, from Athlone.
                                Last edited by Tadpole; 16 June 2013, 03:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X