Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Air Accident Reports

Full list of all AAIU published Air Accident reports in the internet era:

http://www.aaiu.ie/aviation/aaiu/rep...g=ENG&loc=1280

Some interesting reading there, including an incident with Air Force 1 in 1997 that I don't remember making the news at the time.

There are a small number of Air Corps related reports along with others relating to the Coast Guard.

Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jetjock,
    If you haven't seen it yet have a look at this one: http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?...g=ENG&loc=1280
    Very interesting report.

3. Thanks Jetjock thanked for this post
    Sergeant Major
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interestingly with regards to AAIU investigations of IAC accidents as discussed earlier Danno is at least in part correct. The relevant legislation is SI 205 / 97 Section 27. However, the Minister of Defence must agree as to the circumstances of the accident and to AAIU involvement. In effect it looks like the AAIU have responsibility BUT the Minister for Defence has the ability to opt out in many circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember reading that. At the time we were operating out of Kerry. To say that it's not a great place for a false localiser capture is an understatement. I certainly wouldnt be rushing to fly that aircraft again with all it's gremlins.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I witnessed an crash out at a airshow in Fairyhouse racecourse in the late eighties, it was a Polish cropduster that slid out the sky when it attempted

a very slow 360 degree turn, pilot was killed, I do not see anything about it on the list

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    AAIU only kicked off in 1997,there would have been a report by DoT under prev 1950s regs.

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    AAIU only kicked off in 1997,there would have been a report by DoT under prev 1950s regs.
    Can it be viewed on line,?

Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to my info,poss to contact the AAIU who prob have all files and enquire,you have prob spotted the 2 reports that predated their deployment on their list of reports.GttC may be able to point you in proper direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    Can it be viewed on line,?
    There was no interweb in 1997

Not in Ireland anyway....

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers. Always interested in the cause of the crash that day. It hit the ground about 50 meters from a bunch of parachutists getting into the back

of a shorts skyvan . could have being very nasty.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was the time the Donner RIV fire tender drove thru the fence (for which they were commended later) to get to the crash scene. The aircraft involved was a PZL Wilga. They were trying to do a slow-flight formation turn and he stalled and spun in. The investigation also uncovered all sorts of administrative errors by the organisers. For a long time, airshows in Ireland were run by allegedly capable amateurs and it's only a miracle that there aren't more accidents.l think that pre-AAIU crash reports are either still under DoT control or in the hands of the IAA. I suspect the former.

regards
    GttC

Elpa
    Post Thanks / Like
    I witnessed an crash out at a airshow in Fairyhouse racecourse in the late eighties, it was a Polish cropduster that slid out the sky when it attempted

a very slow 360 degree turn, pilot was killed, I do not see anything about it on the list
    I witnessed that accident. I took a photo of the the column of smoke and flames from a distance immediately after the impact. I offered it to the air Accident Investigation later in the week after the accident buy they declined as he told me they had hundreds of photos already.

The plane was part of a 3 aircraft display and I remenber the other 2 landing immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was at that Air Spectacular as well. The USAF sent F4, F111 and F15 to it. The Polish planes had been in Baldonnel all that week at some kind of Flying Team Competition and were on their way back to Poland, tying in a fly past with their way home. The plane that crashed when it banked in, had a problem with one of its leading edge slats and it did to deploy, which caused that wing to stall. He had no chance of recovery. RIP

WITT33
    The pilot of this plane world championship cpt. Jan Baran (SP-AFX PZL-104 Wilga Fairyhouse 12th August 1984) was my uncle (brother of my mom). If You have ANY information or ANY photos of him or plane (especially this accident) PLEASE contact me. After 28 years from this accident me and my family don't know reason of this crash. In the time of accident I was 6 years, this was big tragedy for all my family. My uncle rest in peace half mile from my house in Poland...

Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry WITT33, I did not take photos of the crash, But it is still very clear in my minds eye the aircraft turning and then sliding down into the ground, also

remember an announcement over the public address system looking for lifts to the hospital for the other two pilots. Hope there is people here can fill in

some of the missing details or tell you how to find them.

RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Claudel Hopson; 5th February 2012 at 01:13.

WITT33
    I have it all. Thanks. This book (report) is unavailable for buying/shipping, only for read in place.

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Witt33, you should write to the Department of Transport and ask for a copy of the report. Surely, the dead man's family got a copy, back then. If not, email the AAIU direct.

regards
    GttC

Commander in Chief RoyalGreenJacket's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was there that day too.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=176030

RIP

IIRC an American F-16 then came in and broke the sound-barrier to break the sombre mood of the crowd after the crash.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

21. Likes sofa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, was a witness to that as well, fire crews were on scene rapidly, crashing through barriers, but it was obviously instantly fatal.

23. Likes sofa liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome back. RGJ.
    Crashed not to far from a Shorts aircraft that members of the Irish Parachute club were getting ready to board.

Thread Information