X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Accident Reports

Full list of all AAIU published Air Accident reports in the internet era:

http://www.aaiu.ie/aviation/aaiu/rep...g=ENG&loc=1280

Some interesting reading there, including an incident with Air Force 1 in 1997 that I don't remember making the news at the time.

There are a small number of Air Corps related reports along with others relating to the Coast Guard.

Jetjock,
    If you haven't seen it yet have a look at this one: http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?...g=ENG&loc=1280
    Very interesting report.

Comment

Interestingly with regards to AAIU investigations of IAC accidents as discussed earlier Danno is at least in part correct. The relevant legislation is SI 205 / 97 Section 27. However, the Minister of Defence must agree as to the circumstances of the accident and to AAIU involvement. In effect it looks like the AAIU have responsibility BUT the Minister for Defence has the ability to opt out in many circumstances.

Comment

I remember reading that. At the time we were operating out of Kerry. To say that it's not a great place for a false localiser capture is an understatement. I certainly wouldnt be rushing to fly that aircraft again with all it's gremlins.

Comment

I witnessed an crash out at a airshow in Fairyhouse racecourse in the late eighties, it was a Polish cropduster that slid out the sky when it attempted

a very slow 360 degree turn, pilot was killed, I do not see anything about it on the list

Comment

AAIU only kicked off in 1997,there would have been a report by DoT under prev 1950s regs.

Comment

Originally posted by danno View Post
              AAIU only kicked off in 1997,there would have been a report by DoT under prev 1950s regs.
              Can it be viewed on line,?

Comment

Not to my info,poss to contact the AAIU who prob have all files and enquire,you have prob spotted the 2 reports that predated their deployment on their list of reports.GttC may be able to point you in proper direction.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  Can it be viewed on line,?
                  There was no interweb in 1997

Not in Ireland anyway....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Cheers. Always interested in the cause of the crash that day. It hit the ground about 50 meters from a bunch of parachutists getting into the back

of a shorts skyvan . could have being very nasty.

Comment

That was the time the Donner RIV fire tender drove thru the fence (for which they were commended later) to get to the crash scene. The aircraft involved was a PZL Wilga. They were trying to do a slow-flight formation turn and he stalled and spun in. The investigation also uncovered all sorts of administrative errors by the organisers. For a long time, airshows in Ireland were run by allegedly capable amateurs and it's only a miracle that there aren't more accidents.l think that pre-AAIU crash reports are either still under DoT control or in the hands of the IAA. I suspect the former.

regards
                      GttC

Comment

Originally posted by sofa View Post
                        I witnessed an crash out at a airshow in Fairyhouse racecourse in the late eighties, it was a Polish cropduster that slid out the sky when it attempted

a very slow 360 degree turn, pilot was killed, I do not see anything about it on the list
                        I witnessed that accident. I took a photo of the the column of smoke and flames from a distance immediately after the impact. I offered it to the air Accident Investigation later in the week after the accident buy they declined as he told me they had hundreds of photos already.

The plane was part of a 3 aircraft display and I remenber the other 2 landing immediately.

Comment

I was at that Air Spectacular as well. The USAF sent F4, F111 and F15 to it. The Polish planes had been in Baldonnel all that week at some kind of Flying Team Competition and were on their way back to Poland, tying in a fly past with their way home. The plane that crashed when it banked in, had a problem with one of its leading edge slats and it did to deploy, which caused that wing to stall. He had no chance of recovery. RIP

Comment

The pilot of this plane world championship cpt. Jan Baran (SP-AFX PZL-104 Wilga Fairyhouse 12th August 1984) was my uncle (brother of my mom). If You have ANY information or ANY photos of him or plane (especially this accident) PLEASE contact me. After 28 years from this accident me and my family don't know reason of this crash. In the time of accident I was 6 years, this was big tragedy for all my family. My uncle rest in peace half mile from my house in Poland...

Comment

Sorry WITT33, I did not take photos of the crash, But it is still very clear in my minds eye the aircraft turning and then sliding down into the ground, also

remember an announcement over the public address system looking for lifts to the hospital for the other two pilots. Hope there is people here can fill in

some of the missing details or tell you how to find them.

RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X