Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like

Defence Forces Military Archives

Archive video.

2. Thanks terrier, Lorenco thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, thedollar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are trying to put a date on the clip. I'M saying(publicly) that its Post 1948, but the sight of a Cavalryman driving a bren gun carrier is a red herring. Cav stopped using them in 1943, and they all went to infantry.

4. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie fish View Post
    They are trying to put a date on the clip. I'M saying(publicly) that its Post 1948, but the sight of a Cavalryman driving a bren gun carrier is a red herring. Cav stopped using them in 1943, and they all went to infantry.
    Well there are Churchills in the clip and they were delivered in December 1948.

Post Thanks / Like
    No they weren't, the first two of four were delivered in 1948, there are three in the clip and the second two were delivered on 28th January and 24th December 1949

So to my mind given there are three in the clip it is safe to date it between the two dates given above.

They were Registered in sequence ZD 5052 to ZD ZD 5055 and Marked '1A' Through '1D' only the firsts three call signs and registrations are visible in the clip again narrowing it in my mind prior to delivery of the 4th machine.

The carrier thing sort of bothers me though as a number of carriers were returned to the Motor Squadrons in the 1950s assigned on a scale of eight carriers per motor squadron, but then again we are dealing with the 1st Tank squadron and not Motor Squadrons!

Nothing substantive about the Lansverk L180 Armoured cars except the Eight that were delivered served with the Ist Armoured and not the First Tank until 1972 when they were handed over to the 11th Motor.

One little detail, everybody is wearing overcoats bar the DRs, so its probably in winter!

They were leased as opposed to bought out right and by the time the army decided to buy the outright in 1954 they were heading for disposal due to a shortage of spares.

The dates are genuine as supplied by the Cav School.

So should anyone wish to submit my theory to the Mil Archives as food for thought, feel free,Unless there are survivors from the time who can actually date the clip I reckon my dates could be about the best available.
    Last edited by hptmurphy; 29th January 2012 at 16:35.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hptmurphy View Post
    No they weren't, the first two of four were delivered in 1948, there are three in the clip and the second two were delivered on 28th January and 24th December 1949
    Thats what I meant!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats what I meant!

Of course you did!!!
    Just visiting

9. Thanks Goldie fish thanked for this post
    Likes Lorenco, Burt liked this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Archive video of the Artillery Corps.

11. Thanks danno, Lorenco thanked for this post
    Likes Goldie fish, Tango_Charlie liked this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    1980s recruitment video.

13. Thanks hptmurphy, Shaqra, Tempest thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy, DeV, Orion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant.....

Bandit will be on a buzzer for days!!!!

The one true army ad!
    Just visiting

15. Likes Goldie fish, Truck Driver liked this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant.....

Bandit will be on a buzzer for days!!!!

The one true army ad!
    I had to watch it a few times it was that good. Im still smiling.

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    AML with a Mecanique Creusot-Loire T 25 two-man powered turret armed with a 25mm Bushmaster cannon. (note a young Sean McCann in the background)

AML with Alvis Vickers turret armed with 30mm RARDEN cannon.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rhodes; 9th May 2012 at 23:52.

18. Likes Goldie fish, Flamingo, Steamy Window liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, the ad of the century! Corny as hell but I loved it. Owen Sherry DSM in the Alouette, looking about 18 years old. It was well made for it's time; I'd say there must be miles of it on the cutting room floor with all the editing required.
    the AML pics are very interesting.

regards
    GttC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick one on the AMLs 6459 ZE was actually a former 3 Cav car and is the one preserved in the Curragh as an AML 60 CS.

I wonder were both turrets fitted to the same car.

Would guesstimate the photos from the early '80s due to the Timoney V/VI in the back round CKL turret mounting .5.

The add fottage is pre 1981 the first one being even earlier , shirts and ties dead giveaway.

Lovely finds all the same.
    Just visiting

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Leyland armoured car in its original condition. There's not to many pictures of them like this before all the modifications. It has a camo paint job so it must of been during The Emergency.

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    1980s recruitment video.

NCO at 0.37 went on to a Pot Officers course soon after and ended up OC 14th Inf Bn.

Post Thanks / Like
    A Leyland armoured car in its original condition. There's not to many pictures of them like this before all the modifications. It has a camo paint job so it must of been during The Emergency
    Which would suggest that the main armament is a Madsen 20mm removed from an early MTB...
    Just visiting

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Which would suggest that the main armament is a Madsen 20mm removed from an early MTB...
    I think your mixing up the Leylands with the Dodge Mk VII's.
    The two Dodge Mk VII's were armed with Madsen's that had been used on MTB's.

Post Thanks / Like
    think your mixing up the Leylands with the Dodge Mk VII's.
    the three later MTBs were to be equipped with the Madsens the earlier ones with the Hotchkiss Mgs, in the event none of the MTBs ended up with 20mms so there was gun surplus somewhere it would seem.

Dodges Mk V111s had 20mm guns while the mk V11s had .5 vickers total built 5

but the Leyland also had the same Madsen L6o weapon as the dodges..but the guns were supplied as part of a package to replicate the Landsverks turrets, by landsverk.

Problem solved.
    Just visiting

Post Thanks / Like
    think your mixing up the Leylands with the Dodge Mk VII's.
    the three later MTBs were to be equipped with the Madsens the earlier ones with the Hotchkiss Mgs, in the event none of the MTBs ended up with 20mms so there was gun surplus somewhere it would seem.

but the Leyland also had the same Madsen L6o weapon as the dodges..but the guns were supplied as part of a package to replicate the Landsverks turrets, by landsverk.

Problem solved.
    Just visiting

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, its the other way around. The Dodge Mk VII's had Madsen's and the Mk VIII's Vickers.

Yes, they are not the ones removed from the MTB's as you said earlier.
    Last edited by Rhodes; 11th May 2012 at 10:42.

BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quick one on the AMLs 6459 ZE was actually a former 3 Cav car and is the one preserved in the Curragh as an AML 60 CS.

I wonder were both turrets fitted to the same car.

Would guesstimate the photos from the early '80s due to the Timoney V/VI in the back round CKL turret mounting .5.

The add fottage is pre 1981 the first one being even earlier , shirts and ties dead giveaway.

Lovely finds all the same.
    The OZV reg on the peugeot in the second picture is 1985

And the the Opel Ascona in the first picture looks like a 1981 reg.

Never knew they trailed the Rarden, I wonder did they trail it on the Scorpions

29. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Ad

Ahhh, I remember those ads, from the early eighties....brilliiant piece of work. IIRC they received some sort of significiant "excellence in advertising" award both for the ad firm and the DF. I very much remember watching them and thinking this would the Army I'd want to join. Love the long hair and sideburns.......yeah baby....

Lieutenant
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    Ah, the ad of the century! Corny as hell but I loved it. Owen Sherry DSM in the Alouette, looking about 18 years old. It was well made for it's time; I'd say there must be miles of it on the cutting room floor with all the editing required.
    the AML pics are very interesting.

regards
    GttC
    What was the DSM won for?

Which brings me to another question...when medals and awards are handed out, are the citations made public like the London Gazette, only in Iris Oifiguil?
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamy Window View Post
    What was the DSM won for?
    A night rescue on Muckish Mountain in Donegal in 1977.

33. Likes Steamy Window liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    No, its the other way around. The Dodge Mk VII's had Madsen's and the Mk VIII's Vickers.

Yes, they are not the ones removed from the MTB's as you said earlier.
    The Dodges were equipped with the 20 mm from the naval service, The Mk V11s as you correctly pointed out, along with a .303 Madsen machine gun which the army had 24 of in service.

the remain 3 Mk V111s were equiped with the .5 vickers, again correctly pointed out and a vickers .303 machine gun.

the Dodges wents into service between November 1942 and May 1943 and were on strength with the 1st Squadron until 1962 although they were effectively off the road for most of the 1950s.

The major disadvantage with their weapons being as they were mounted in Irish built turrets they lacked optics and had to be fired over open sights.

Sorry for the earlier confusion as I misread the info available to me.
    Just visiting

Thread Information