Thanks Thanks:  145
Likes Likes:  189
Dislikes Dislikes:  4
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    ......which equated to about a sixth of the ultimate total of troop numbers during the Emergency. The event was designed to test the abilities under field conditions and it did just that. I'd love to read the post event assessments.
    At the peak, the DF had approx 41,000 plus 106,000 LDF

2. Likes EUFighter liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    To put it into perspective, Before the Single Force integration, there was the reorg. Prior to the reorg, there was the FCA. The FCA made infantry companies from units that were LDF Battalions during the Emergency. Every large town in Ireland had some form of LDF unit.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

4. Likes DeV, EUFighter liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    My grandfather took part. He said that it was based on the premise that the Germans had landed on the South coast and were making for Dublin. His opinion was that it took a year to plan and prepare and that they stripped out every usable vehicle, gun and piece of kit from every other unit to make it work and that it burned the fuel supply for a peacetime year. It opened a lot of eyes to the actual ability of the Army to defend the State from external aggression and the ability of the state to supply it's own Army. More than a few noses were out of joint afterwards.
    Things haven't changed. A BN ex requires the same level of stripping of equipment from the entire army to allow it to run. Tokenism alive and well

6. Likes DeV, The real Jack liked this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dauphin Replace Alouettes 1987
    An RTE News report broadcast on 28 August 1987.

8. Thanks DeV, Shaqra, Tempest, Orion thanked for this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joint Naval Air Exercise 1987
    An RTE News report broadcast on 2 September 1987.

10. Thanks DeV, Tempest, Shaqra, Orion thanked for this post
    Likes na grohmití, Burt liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    I notice the CoS in the second video, then just a young officer aboard Eithne.
    Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?

C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Frank Russell, a gentleman.

Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    Irish Defence Forces intervene to end protest by fishermen blocking Dublin Port over ban on herring fishing.

"The Defence Forces and the Gardaí moved in to end the fishermen’s two-day blockade of Dublin Port which seriously disrupted both commercial shipping and passenger ferries. The fishermen were protesting for a lifting of a Common Market ban on herring fishing."

"Members of the Irish Army on Dublin’s South Wall (1982)"

An RTE News report broadcast on 21 October 1982.

14. Thanks Tempest, Orion thanked for this post
    Likes DeV liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ARW on the Aisling.
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".
    -- Field Marshall Earl Wavell.1948

16. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    Likes Rhodes, na grohmití liked this post
    Colonel
    Post Thanks / Like
    A number of RTE news reports from 1985.

Irish Troops Attacked At UN Post

UNIFIL Lebanon Peace Keeping

Irish Troops Lebanon UN Duty

Army Display Cork 800

New Dauphin Helicopter

18. Thanks DeV, apod, sofa, ias, Tempest thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jaysus that Cork 800 video takes me back.Thanks for making me feel ancient Rhodes
    "Let us be clear about three facts:First of all.All battles and all wars are won in the end by the Infantryman.Secondly the Infantryman bears the brunt of the fighting,his casualties are heavier and he suffers greater extremes of fatigue and discomfort than the other arms.Thirdly,the art of the Infantryman is less stereotyped and harder to acquire than that of any other arm".

20. Likes na grohmití liked this post
    Major General
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a child I too attended the Tattoo at Cork 800. A great display it was. No doubt Apod was only there is the pram, young fella that he is.

22. Likes hptmurphy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was there too as a young fella

Post Thanks / Like
    1985...year I joined up!!!!
    Just visiting

25. Likes Truck Driver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmit� View Post
    As a child I too attended the Tattoo at Cork 800. A great display it was. No doubt Apod was only there is the pram, young fella that he is.
    I was 10 ya langer.

27. Likes na grohmití liked this post

Thread Information