No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They were brought in to break the strike.

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
      They were brought in to break the strike.
      They were not brought into break the strike, they were brought in to provide basic services when those who had a right to strike exercised their right to do so. Be it wrong or right

the DF in the 70's and 80s was a far different place than it is today and bad as conditions are toady they were ten times worse back then.

To equate the DF to scabs or strike breakers because it doesn't follow you union values is very narrow sighted indeed, there wasn't an option and basic public services had to be required.

Your fellow travellers achieved the pay rises while the DF got absolutely nothing!
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Maybe the Government shouldn’t have provided an emergency fire service where required due to Fire Brigade not providing emergency cover during strikes, maybe DF engineers shouldn’t have provided lift repair services when I thing it was the Ballymun flats were affected by strikes.

Or maybe trade unions should consider the public!

Comment

• Originally posted by popeye View Post
          Still pretty disgusting.
          Do you know what's disgusting ? Holding the general public to ransom in pursuit of personal objectives - leaving rats swarming round heaps of rubbish in the centre of Dublin (witnessed personally), setting fire to heaps of rubbish and endangering lives and property, leaving people with no form of transport (hitting the poorest in society first) and on and on and on. The Defence Forces were, in each case , called out in ATCP to help the citizens of the State when other groups saw fit to use those citizens as pawns.

As a soldier I didn't particularly like shovelling snow, organising bus services, cleaning the streets, arranging fuel deliveries etc but it delivered real benefits directly to the citizens I had sworn to protect when no-one else was doing so.
          “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
          ― Thucydides

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaqra View Post
            Do you know what's disgusting ? Holding the general public to ransom in pursuit of personal objectives - leaving rats swarming round heaps of rubbish in the centre of Dublin (witnessed personally), setting fire to heaps of rubbish and endangering lives and property, leaving people with no form of transport (hitting the poorest in society first) and on and on and on. The Defence Forces were, in each case , called out in ATCP to help the citizens of the State when other groups saw fit to use those citizens as pawns.

As a soldier I didn't particularly like shovelling snow, organising bus services, cleaning the streets, arranging fuel deliveries etc but it delivered real benefits directly to the citizens I had sworn to protect when no-one else was doing so.
            And for probably for significantly less wages and definitely poorer T&C

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
              Maybe the Government shouldn’t have provided an emergency fire service where required due to Fire Brigade not providing emergency cover during strikes, maybe DF engineers shouldn’t have provided lift repair services when I thing it was the Ballymun flats were affected by strikes.

Or maybe trade unions should consider the public!
              An maybe employers should pay decent wages

Comment

• Originally posted by apc View Post
                An maybe employers should pay decent wages
                The guys servicing lifts at that time where in the highest paid electrician jobs around at the time.
                Using the people as hostages is what's disgusting

Comment

• Originally posted by sofa View Post
                  The guys servicing lifts at that time where in the highest paid electrician jobs around at the time.
                  Using the people as hostages is what's disgusting
                  They still are and that is due to them being highly unionised. Thats what unions do. They get the best pay and conditions possible for their members and sometimes you have to down tools when all other avenues have failed. If the guys kept servicing the lifts would they be on the pay they are on now? or maybe you think they are overpaid?

Comment

• The thing about union militant membership is that some people use it as a tool to be deliberately obstructive but by now, most companies are wise to the ways and can get around it, which is why old-style one-out-all-out/down tool at the drop of a hat behaviour is mostly gone, because in some cases, it has backfired and the employer has voted with his money and shut down the workplace. I can think of several concerns in Ireland that closed down to avoid further grief from unions. I can also recall "union rules, bud" behaviour in several places in the DF that I encountered; no actual union but we'll behave as if we have one.

Comment

• Also what has changed is that wildcat action no longer receives Union backing. There is the agreed format of negotiations before you get to any notion of industrial action. Also Unions are mandated by members and are only as strong as its members

Comment

• (corrected my post here , I had meant and was always thiking about train / luas / bus drivers as they were always the most visible to me.
                        Recent transport b0||0x was the nail in the coffin for me. ive no time for unions and believe that they are just blunt instruments which are more often misused than not. it seems now that you cannot introduce a single efficiency in public transport without a strike and a watering down of proposed improvements. no time for them.
                        In hindsight, I would like to see PDF get pay restoration and for certain areas within it to be given retention bonuses - I would concede that this wont happen without intervention by the likes of PDFORRA.
                        Last edited by morpheus; 20 April 2018, 09:35.
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

• I suppose when you havent gotten a pay rise in 10 years, jobs are being cut and the workers not management are the only ones in the firing line then members get pissed off. But its the members that dictate whether to have work stoppages/strike. The ballot it ratified by the Union as to the legality of the action, that is why Unions dont support unofficial action. Unions avoid strike as much as possible as their strike funds are limited. As regards the public/civil service when was the last time they went on strike. The public /civil services have taken a big hit on pay since 2010.

Comment

• MOD: Guys back on topic please. This thread is about archive footage. There are interesting points raised and maybe you can start a thread in the politics section or general section.

Comment

• Patrolling Donegal Waters 1983

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                                Patrolling Donegal Waters 1983
                                Jesus the sweepers were narrow

Comment

Working...
                                X