Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
    ......which equated to about a sixth of the ultimate total of troop numbers during the Emergency. The event was designed to test the abilities under field conditions and it did just that. I'd love to read the post event assessments.
    At the peak, the DF had approx 41,000 plus 106,000 LDF

Comment

• To put it into perspective, Before the Single Force integration, there was the reorg. Prior to the reorg, there was the FCA. The FCA made infantry companies from units that were LDF Battalions during the Emergency. Every large town in Ireland had some form of LDF unit.
      For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
        My grandfather took part. He said that it was based on the premise that the Germans had landed on the South coast and were making for Dublin. His opinion was that it took a year to plan and prepare and that they stripped out every usable vehicle, gun and piece of kit from every other unit to make it work and that it burned the fuel supply for a peacetime year. It opened a lot of eyes to the actual ability of the Army to defend the State from external aggression and the ability of the state to supply it's own Army. More than a few noses were out of joint afterwards.
        Things haven't changed. A BN ex requires the same level of stripping of equipment from the entire army to allow it to run. Tokenism alive and well

Comment

• Dauphin Replace Alouettes 1987
          An RTE News report broadcast on 28 August 1987.

Comment

• Joint Naval Air Exercise 1987
            An RTE News report broadcast on 2 September 1987.

Comment

• I notice the CoS in the second video, then just a young officer aboard Eithne.

Comment

• Frank Russell, a gentleman.

Comment

• Irish Defence Forces intervene to end protest by fishermen blocking Dublin Port over ban on herring fishing.

"The Defence Forces and the Gardaí moved in to end the fishermen’s two-day blockade of Dublin Port which seriously disrupted both commercial shipping and passenger ferries. The fishermen were protesting for a lifting of a Common Market ban on herring fishing."

"Members of the Irish Army on Dublin’s South Wall (1982)"

An RTE News report broadcast on 21 October 1982.

Comment

• ARW on the Aisling.
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• A number of RTE news reports from 1985.

Irish Troops Attacked At UN Post

UNIFIL Lebanon Peace Keeping

Irish Troops Lebanon UN Duty

Army Display Cork 800

New Dauphin Helicopter

Comment

• Jaysus that Cork 800 video takes me back.Thanks for making me feel ancient Rhodes
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• As a child I too attended the Tattoo at Cork 800. A great display it was. No doubt Apod was only there is the pram, young fella that he is.

Comment

• I was there too as a young fella

Comment

• 1985...year I joined up!!!!
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmit� View Post
                                As a child I too attended the Tattoo at Cork 800. A great display it was. No doubt Apod was only there is the pram, young fella that he is.
                                I was 10 ya langer.

Comment

Working...
                                X