• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wooden ships with iron men.

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
      Jesus the sweepers were narrow
      You really needed to get aboard one to appreciate how confined and small they really were ! But in saying that they had some of the most close knit crews of any ship in any navy, the same can be said for the UKRN crews on the same vessels.

I dreaded the thoughts of ever being posted to any of them but thankfully their days were numbered by the time my seagoing came about.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• You have no choice but to be close knit when you are eating and sleeping in the same space as the rest of the ships relatively large crew.
        For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Army, Air Corps And Navy 1975

An RTE Seven Days episode broadcasted on 6 May 1975.

Comment

• Ah Bernie Toft. Tried and failed to teach me celestial navigation. I wonder was that before or after he took the sweeper on shore leave?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
            Last edited by na grohmiti; 6 May 2020, 11:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
              Ah Bernie Toft. Tried and failed to teach me celestial navigation. I wonder was that before or after he took the sweeper on shore leave?

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
              CM10. Loved it. We brought them from UK and GIB. Open bridges. Our Dock Yard put the new wooden enclosed Units on and they in turn were fitted with new ARP radars. I saw Bernard on the clip, along with B O'Shea and CPO Burke ( father of the Commander to be ). That particular ship Grainne was my first I/C.

Comment

• "The Air Corps is an integral part of the Army and not a separate Air Force". Love it. So much for the blue uniforms lads,you're improperly dressed!!
                "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• Once upon a time that was the case. They were a corps of the army and commanded by a Colonel, like all other corps. That only changed in the late 70s when the Colonel in charge was promoted to Brig Gen, and the post became one of the General staff. Same was true for the Naval Service, who were considered a Corps of the Army up to 1979, when Pete Kavanagh was promoted from Captain to Commodore. Back then the army consisted of 5 brigades(1,2,4, 6 and ECIF) and you wore a tie under your combats. The country was divided into Commands, and up to 1979 all 4 of them (Eastern, Western, Southern, Curragh) were led by a colonel.
                  Where is your combat tie Apod?

Comment

• Always one pedant who spoils a good interservice pisstake. Jesus Christ

(PS: No "Combat tie" but I am in long enough to have been issued a cravat and a scrim scarf)
                    "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

Comment

• The more you know.....

Comment

• Originally posted by apod View Post
                        Always one pedant who spoils a good interservice pisstake. Jesus Christ

(PS: No "Combat tie" but I am in long enough to have been issued a cravat and a scrim scarf)
                        I imagined you issued with a slouch hat and leather bandolier
                        'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                        'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                        Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                        He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                        http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• I heard he polishes his pike weekly.

Comment

• No Lads. Centurions armour and short sword.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              I heard he polishes his pike weekly.
                              I hope that’s not a euphemism
                              'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
                              'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
                              Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
                              He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
                              http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

• Originally posted by ancientmariner View Post
                                CM10. Loved it. We brought them from UK and GIB. Open bridges. Our Dock Yard put the new wooden enclosed Units on and they in turn were fitted with new ARP radars. I saw Bernard on the clip, along with B O'Shea and CPO Burke ( father of the Commander to be ). That particular ship Grainne was my first I/C.
                                They would also roll on a wet dishcloth.
                                Last edited by sofa; 7 May 2020, 22:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X