Thanks Thanks:  167
Likes Likes:  238
Dislikes Dislikes:  24
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    the Brits did it fairly recently with troops providing public fire services using a fleet of old Green Goddesses. In Italy, during a bin strike in Naples, they had to get the Carabinieri to protect the people trying to collect mounds of rubbish after the binmen (Mafia controlled) went on strike, just as Summer kicked off. They were astonished at the level of orchestrated violence directed against them from allegedly peace loving binmens families and it got very testy until the City did a deal with the binmen (mafia)

2. Thanks hptmurphy thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    As a trade union member I always thought it was disgusting using soldiers as scabs. Not blaming the troops who have no choice but the government.
    The people where glad of their work when it came to the likes of public health, transport to work, or power to light/heat their homes.
    The people do not like being used as hostages in industrial disputes.
    Last edited by sofa; 16th April 2018 at 21:10.

4. Dislikes DaithiDub disliked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by na grohmití View Post
    It was completely inappropriate use of the DF. Most were covering for strikers who were earning far more than they ever would.
    I don't know of any other country where it happens, apart from covering emergency services.
    Australian government used the RAAF during a airline strike.
    https://www.sbs.com.au/news/hawke-ca...firm-on-pilots

6. Thanks DeV thanked for this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still pretty disgusting.

8. Likes DaithiDub liked this post
    Dislikes apod, DeV, Shaqra, ias disliked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still pretty disgusting.
    Having the rubbish filled streets swarming with rats is pretty disgusting.
    It was a public health risk, that's why the Army was called in.

10. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, hptmurphy, Shaqra, ias, Herald, apod liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    They were brought in to break the strike.

12. Likes DaithiDub liked this post
    Dislikes DeV, Shaqra, CTU, ias, Herald, apod disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They were brought in to break the strike.
    They were not brought into break the strike, they were brought in to provide basic services when those who had a right to strike exercised their right to do so. Be it wrong or right

the DF in the 70's and 80s was a far different place than it is today and bad as conditions are toady they were ten times worse back then.

To equate the DF to scabs or strike breakers because it doesn't follow you union values is very narrow sighted indeed, there wasn't an option and basic public services had to be required.

Your fellow travellers achieved the pay rises while the DF got absolutely nothing!
    Time for another break I think......

14. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, Shaqra, ias, Herald, The real Jack, apod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the Government shouldn’t have provided an emergency fire service where required due to Fire Brigade not providing emergency cover during strikes, maybe DF engineers shouldn’t have provided lift repair services when I thing it was the Ballymun flats were affected by strikes.

Or maybe trade unions should consider the public!

16. Likes Shaqra, Herald, apod liked this post
    Dislikes DaithiDub disliked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still pretty disgusting.
    Do you know what's disgusting ? Holding the general public to ransom in pursuit of personal objectives - leaving rats swarming round heaps of rubbish in the centre of Dublin (witnessed personally), setting fire to heaps of rubbish and endangering lives and property, leaving people with no form of transport (hitting the poorest in society first) and on and on and on. The Defence Forces were, in each case , called out in ATCP to help the citizens of the State when other groups saw fit to use those citizens as pawns.

As a soldier I didn't particularly like shovelling snow, organising bus services, cleaning the streets, arranging fuel deliveries etc but it delivered real benefits directly to the citizens I had sworn to protect when no-one else was doing so.
    “The nation that will insist on drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking done by cowards.”
    ― Thucydides

18. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqra View Post
    Do you know what's disgusting ? Holding the general public to ransom in pursuit of personal objectives - leaving rats swarming round heaps of rubbish in the centre of Dublin (witnessed personally), setting fire to heaps of rubbish and endangering lives and property, leaving people with no form of transport (hitting the poorest in society first) and on and on and on. The Defence Forces were, in each case , called out in ATCP to help the citizens of the State when other groups saw fit to use those citizens as pawns.

As a soldier I didn't particularly like shovelling snow, organising bus services, cleaning the streets, arranging fuel deliveries etc but it delivered real benefits directly to the citizens I had sworn to protect when no-one else was doing so.
    And for probably for significantly less wages and definitely poorer T&C

20. Thanks apod thanked for this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Maybe the Government shouldn’t have provided an emergency fire service where required due to Fire Brigade not providing emergency cover during strikes, maybe DF engineers shouldn’t have provided lift repair services when I thing it was the Ballymun flats were affected by strikes.

Or maybe trade unions should consider the public!
    An maybe employers should pay decent wages

22. Likes DaithiDub liked this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apc View Post
    An maybe employers should pay decent wages
    The guys servicing lifts at that time where in the highest paid electrician jobs around at the time.
    Using the people as hostages is what's disgusting

24. Thanks DeV, apod thanked for this post
    Likes DeV, apod, ias liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sofa View Post
    The guys servicing lifts at that time where in the highest paid electrician jobs around at the time.
    Using the people as hostages is what's disgusting
    They still are and that is due to them being highly unionised. Thats what unions do. They get the best pay and conditions possible for their members and sometimes you have to down tools when all other avenues have failed. If the guys kept servicing the lifts would they be on the pay they are on now? or maybe you think they are overpaid?

26. Thanks sofa, DaithiDub thanked for this post
    Likes DaithiDub liked this post
    C/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    The thing about union militant membership is that some people use it as a tool to be deliberately obstructive but by now, most companies are wise to the ways and can get around it, which is why old-style one-out-all-out/down tool at the drop of a hat behaviour is mostly gone, because in some cases, it has backfired and the employer has voted with his money and shut down the workplace. I can think of several concerns in Ireland that closed down to avoid further grief from unions. I can also recall "union rules, bud" behaviour in several places in the DF that I encountered; no actual union but we'll behave as if we have one.

28. Likes DeV, hptmurphy liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also what has changed is that wildcat action no longer receives Union backing. There is the agreed format of negotiations before you get to any notion of industrial action. Also Unions are mandated by members and are only as strong as its members

30. Thanks DaithiDub thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    (corrected my post here , I had meant and was always thiking about train / luas / bus drivers as they were always the most visible to me.
    Recent transport b0||0x was the nail in the coffin for me. ive no time for unions and believe that they are just blunt instruments which are more often misused than not. it seems now that you cannot introduce a single efficiency in public transport without a strike and a watering down of proposed improvements. no time for them.
    In hindsight, I would like to see PDF get pay restoration and for certain areas within it to be given retention bonuses - I would concede that this wont happen without intervention by the likes of PDFORRA.
    Last edited by morpheus; 20th April 2018 at 08:35.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

32. Likes DeV, ias liked this post
    BQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suppose when you havent gotten a pay rise in 10 years, jobs are being cut and the workers not management are the only ones in the firing line then members get pissed off. But its the members that dictate whether to have work stoppages/strike. The ballot it ratified by the Union as to the legality of the action, that is why Unions dont support unofficial action. Unions avoid strike as much as possible as their strike funds are limited. As regards the public/civil service when was the last time they went on strike. The public /civil services have taken a big hit on pay since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    MOD: Guys back on topic please. This thread is about archive footage. There are interesting points raised and maybe you can start a thread in the politics section or general section.

35. Thanks na grohmití thanked for this post
    Brigadier General
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patrolling Donegal Waters 1983

37. Thanks sofa, restless thanked for this post
    Likes hptmurphy, Orion, Sluggie, spider, Burt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    Patrolling Donegal Waters 1983
    Jesus the sweepers were narrow

39. Likes Burt liked this post
    CQMS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wooden ships with iron men.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeV View Post
    Jesus the sweepers were narrow
    You really needed to get aboard one to appreciate how confined and small they really were ! But in saying that they had some of the most close knit crews of any ship in any navy, the same can be said for the UKRN crews on the same vessels.

I dreaded the thoughts of ever being posted to any of them but thankfully their days were numbered by the time my seagoing came about.
    Time for another break I think......

Lt General
    Post Thanks / Like
    You have no choice but to be close knit when you are eating and sleeping in the same space as the rest of the ships relatively large crew.
    German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
    German 2: Private? I am a general!
    German 1: That is the bad news.

Thread Information