No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great to hear Tom McCochrane again. A solid reporter, sensible, courteous and informed. We haven't had anybody near his standard since"

Comment

• Sluggie, well spotted , he was 2IC of one of the Coys and OIC GOH, President Mc Aleese was particularly committed to the DF and took her role as Supreme Commander very seriously, she travelled to the 82 Battalion within weeks of election and made her final visit abroad to the Leb too, visiting troops abroad, tremendous symmetry. A class act.

I was at the meal that night with about 200 others, her speech to us is one of the highlights of my time in the DF.

Some great people in that footage , both commissioned and enlisted.

Comment

• "A military parade and ceremony outside the General Post Office in Dublin begin events to mark the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising."

Comment

• Pearse Bn GoH?

Comment

• Originally posted by DeV View Post
            Pearse Bn GoH?
            Pearse Company.

I believe that is Dermot Earley carrying the Cadet Class pennant.

Comment

• Worth noting the OC GoH slipping his hand under DeVs arm to guide him around the Guard as at this him his sight had deteriorated to the point that he couldn't make out faces up close. He had surrendered his driving licence as far back as 1934 because of his failing sight, although driving was a real passion of his.
              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Also I presume it was unusual to have an FCA commandant commanding the GoH. Perhaps he was chosen because of the height of the President? Having said that I remember the Irish Guards GoH was commanded by a major when M Robinson was honoured in London some years ago but that is hardly relevant!

Comment

• Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                  Also I presume it was unusual to have an FCA commandant commanding the GoH. Perhaps he was chosen because of the height of the President? Having said that I remember the Irish Guards GoH was commanded by a major when M Robinson was honoured in London some years ago but that is hardly relevant!
                  I notice the Black Berets, could that have been during the earlier period of integration? I didn't realise the PDF wore the bumfreezers.
                  For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

• Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                    I notice the Black Berets, could that have been during the earlier period of integration? I didn't realise the PDF wore the bumfreezers.
                    Black berets were on issue to the FCA until around 1980 when they changed to green.

Comment

Also I presume it was unusual to have an FCA commandant commanding the GoH. Perhaps he was chosen because of the height of the President? Having said that I remember the Irish Guards GoH was commanded by a major when M Robinson was honoured in London some years ago but that is hardly relevant!
                      Hadn't copped that, well done

Black berets were on issue to the FCA until around 1980 when they changed to green.
                      Unit specific,,,,Cavalry and Motor Squadrons took on the Glengarry, but did for a period wear the black berets. Dress regs for some periods are very hazy and in some cases very localized.
                      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

• Unit specific,,,,Cavalry and Motor Squadrons took on the Glengarry, but did for a period wear the black berets. Dress regs for some periods are very hazy and in some cases very localized.[/QUOTE]

No Cav sqns back then. All Motor Squadrons

Comment

Unit specific,,,,Cavalry and Motor Squadrons took on the Glengarry, but did for a period wear the black berets. Dress regs for some periods are very hazy and in some cases very localized.
                          No Cav sqns back then. All Motor Squadrons[/QUOTE]

Became Cavalry Squadrons in 1982 but existed under the blanket of the Cavalry Corps since their inception in 1940

Comment

• Spot on.

Comment

• Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
                              Worth noting the OC GoH slipping his hand under DeVs arm to guide him around the Guard as at this him his sight had deteriorated to the point that he couldn't make out faces up close. He had surrendered his driving licence as far back as 1934 because of his failing sight, although driving was a real passion of his.
                              Good eyes
                              But then you see DeV telling him to remove his arm

Originally posted by Battletour View Post
                              May have been a Commandant's GoH (rather than a Captain's) at the time?

Originally posted by na grohmití View Post
                              They are definitely FCA Pearse Bn. Integration started 1959

Comment

• They are definitely FCA Pearse Bn.
                                Not Pearse Battalion as they paraded last time as a unit on 30th September 1959 as a presidential GoH to De Valera at Terenure.

From

A History of the Pearse Battalion 1946 - 1959 , by Dr. Louis O'Brien.

Comment

Working...
                                X