No announcement yet.

Defence Forces Military Archives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Leyland armoured car in its original condition. There's not to many pictures of them like this before all the modifications. It has a camo paint job so it must of been during The Emergency
    Which would suggest that the main armament is a Madsen 20mm removed from an early MTB...
    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Originally posted by hptmurphy View Post
      Which would suggest that the main armament is a Madsen 20mm removed from an early MTB...
      I think your mixing up the Leylands with the Dodge Mk VII's.
      The two Dodge Mk VII's were armed with Madsen's that had been used on MTB's.

Comment

think your mixing up the Leylands with the Dodge Mk VII's.
        the three later MTBs were to be equipped with the Madsens the earlier ones with the Hotchkiss Mgs, in the event none of the MTBs ended up with 20mms so there was gun surplus somewhere it would seem.

Dodges Mk V111s had 20mm guns while the mk V11s had .5 vickers total built 5

but the Leyland also had the same Madsen L6o weapon as the dodges..but the guns were supplied as part of a package to replicate the Landsverks turrets, by landsverk.

Problem solved.
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

think your mixing up the Leylands with the Dodge Mk VII's.
          the three later MTBs were to be equipped with the Madsens the earlier ones with the Hotchkiss Mgs, in the event none of the MTBs ended up with 20mms so there was gun surplus somewhere it would seem.

but the Leyland also had the same Madsen L6o weapon as the dodges..but the guns were supplied as part of a package to replicate the Landsverks turrets, by landsverk.

Problem solved.

Comment

No, its the other way around. The Dodge Mk VII's had Madsen's and the Mk VIII's Vickers.

Yes, they are not the ones removed from the MTB's as you said earlier.
            Last edited by Rhodes; 11 May 2012, 10:42.

Comment

Quick one on the AMLs 6459 ZE was actually a former 3 Cav car and is the one preserved in the Curragh as an AML 60 CS.

I wonder were both turrets fitted to the same car.

Would guesstimate the photos from the early '80s due to the Timoney V/VI in the back round CKL turret mounting .5.

The add fottage is pre 1981 the first one being even earlier , shirts and ties dead giveaway.

Lovely finds all the same.
              The OZV reg on the peugeot in the second picture is 1985

And the the Opel Ascona in the first picture looks like a 1981 reg.

Never knew they trailed the Rarden, I wonder did they trail it on the Scorpions

Comment

Ad

Ahhh, I remember those ads, from the early eighties....brilliiant piece of work. IIRC they received some sort of significiant "excellence in advertising" award both for the ad firm and the DF. I very much remember watching them and thinking this would the Army I'd want to join. Love the long hair and sideburns.......yeah baby....

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                  Ah, the ad of the century! Corny as hell but I loved it. Owen Sherry DSM in the Alouette, looking about 18 years old. It was well made for it's time; I'd say there must be miles of it on the cutting room floor with all the editing required.
                  the AML pics are very interesting.

regards
                  GttC
                  What was the DSM won for?

Which brings me to another question...when medals and awards are handed out, are the citations made public like the London Gazette, only in Iris Oifiguil?
                  "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Originally posted by Steamy Window View Post
                    What was the DSM won for?
                    A night rescue on Muckish Mountain in Donegal in 1977.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
                      No, its the other way around. The Dodge Mk VII's had Madsen's and the Mk VIII's Vickers.

Yes, they are not the ones removed from the MTB's as you said earlier.
                      The Dodges were equipped with the 20 mm from the naval service, The Mk V11s as you correctly pointed out, along with a .303 Madsen machine gun which the army had 24 of in service.

the remain 3 Mk V111s were equiped with the .5 vickers, again correctly pointed out and a vickers .303 machine gun.

the Dodges wents into service between November 1942 and May 1943 and were on strength with the 1st Squadron until 1962 although they were effectively off the road for most of the 1950s.

The major disadvantage with their weapons being as they were mounted in Irish built turrets they lacked optics and had to be fired over open sights.

Sorry for the earlier confusion as I misread the info available to me.

Comment

I love these archive films.
                        All the sound effects seem to be made by drums.
                        The "old soldier" in the film is Frank Aiken.

Comment

Is there someway of dating this film clip (by uniform,helmet etc) ?

Many thanks in advance,Kevin

Comment

Going by the Bren gun and boyes Anti tank rifle around 1939, the Bren was introduced by the British in 1937' and we got it two years afterwards.

Comment

Bravo20 your link sends me to the Miliary Archives home page ?

ATB Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X