BA riot training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BA riot training

for the benefit of some who doubted i / we did any Public Disorder training with the Metropolitan Police in their training centre:

Attached Files
    Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 3 December 2011, 23:51.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

and yes, we still do Public Disorder training...

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Is the new kit flame proof, why no body armour?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
        Is the new kit flame proof, why no body armour?
        nope i don't believe it is flame-proof, and body armour in this instance is usally ECBA (not Osprey) and it is worn under the Smock, with extra riot protective gear bolted on over the uniform as required.

this is probably just low level build-up training anyhow as they are using mock Hickory Sticks.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          nope i don't believe it is flame-proof, and body armour in this instance is usally ECBA (not Osprey) and it is worn under the Smock, with extra riot protective gear bolted on over the uniform as required.

this is probably just low level build-up training anyhow as they are using mock Hickory Sticks.
          Because flame used during training won't burn you?

Insane.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
            Because flame used during training won't burn you?

Insane.
            we don't wear fire-retardant combats - so we are hardly going to wear them in training and not when it really kicks off.

of course it burns - but you just go get new combats from the Clothing Store and put it down to realistic experience.

but hitting an individuals limbs or over the head with a real Hickory Stick - that breaks bones and knocks people unconscious - we can't do that in routine training.
            Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 4 December 2011, 23:44.
            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

we don't wear fire-retardant combats - so we are hardly going to wear them in training and not when it really kicks off.

of course it burns - but you just go get new combats from the Clothing Store and put it down to realistic experience.
              You wouldn't get that in the DF, the Q and stores would go insane and try their best to refuse to give you new uniforms..............I've seen it myself, but not over things getting burned, with this they'd suffer a brain aneurysm or break out into rainman banging his head.

On a side note, isn't the american ACU's flame resistant?
              Don't stand there GAWPING, like you've never seen the hand of God BEFORE!!

Comment

i don't know about the American ACU's but our Defence Clothing Team have said that making combat uniforms flame resistant can be done - but would leave you with a fabric not suitable for daily use as intended.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

There are versions of the ACU that are flame resistant but not all of them are.

EDIT: Found a document about Flame Resistant ACU (FR ACU).

Last edited by spaceghetti; 5 December 2011, 03:22.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceghetti View Post
                    There are versions of the ACU that are flame resistant but not all of them are.

EDIT: Found a document about Flame Resistant ACU (FR ACU).

http://www.tencate.com/TenCate/Corpo...20FR%20ACU.pdf
                    other than cost - there must be some ofther disadvantage that prevents it being standard issue.

doesn't it have to be constantly reproofed?

i can't find the report on ours, but i recall it saying implementing FR properties would affect something along the lines of breathability, comfort, flexibility and durability.
                    RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Police wear fire-retardant clothing for riots; it does not make sense for soldiers deployed in the same situation not to wear them.

After you go to the burns ward.
                      "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

other than cost - there must be some ofther disadvantage that prevents it being standard issue.

doesn't it have to be constantly reproofed?

i can't find the report on ours, but i recall it saying implementing FR properties would affect something along the lines of breathability, comfort, flexibility and durability.
                        Looks like the American's have addressed this:
                        "In response to a solicitation from the Army, the American textile industry responded with
                        over two dozen excellent FR fabrics. Extensive testing and evaluation resulted in 6 oz.
                        Defender M® fabric being selected as the material of choice for the Fire Resistant Army
                        Combat Uniform (FR ACU). Defender M® provided the best combination of fire resistance,
                        durability, and breathability
                        while also closely matching the non-fire resistant ACU in texture
                        and appearance."
                        Also according to this document four pairs of FR ACU's are issued to each soldier going overseas:

"In late 2007, the Army began issuing two FR ACUs and two non-FR ACUs
                        per deploying Soldier, and four FR ACUs in early 2008"

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy View Post
                          Police wear fire-retardant clothing for riots; it does not make sense for soldiers deployed in the same situation not to wear them.

After you go to the burns ward.
                          IN our public order role (overseas) we have flame retardant coveralls, each man has his own set.

when petrol bombs and sugar bombs are thrown at you they sting the fukc out of you and

thats through the flame retardant suit- the Brits in ordinary non flame retardant uniform

must be in agony, and being in agony means you are not doing the job properly.

We conducted exercises with the Brit Com PFR in Kosovo and they were kitted out in

flame retardant coveralls just like us.
                          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

we do have FR coveralls but we're not issued them routinely and although they are part of our QRF kit - in Ireland and Bosnia we never used them despite many incidents where we were petrol bombed, and i am pretty confident that in the heat of Iraq and Afghanistan they would also be a last resort.

the local commander will make the call on the day - but generally we have almost always gone in in combats, prepared to upscale as required, or for hardcore relentless training on the receiving end of petrol bombs FR coveralls might be worn.

obviously as hedgie pointed out you are better protected with FR kit, but from years of shared experience and having been hit a couple of times, petrol bombs are more for display effect than actaual damaging effect, and i'm not aware of any of our soldiers who have become casualties over the years despite hundreds of molotov cocktail attacks.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

In the BA, we were taught how to make proper petrol bombs during FIBUA training and were throwing them from cover at burnt out tanks. I don't recall being told that practice was for "display purposes"

Comment

Working...
                              X