Cambrian Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambrian Patrol

The Army takes part in and hosts many public events throughout the year, from musical spectaculars to displays of some of the most up to date equipment in use today by armed forces around the world.

For 2012 it will run from 19 October until 28 October.

One of these years, I think an RDF team should push for this.
    Last edited by SwiftandSure; 3 February 2012, 13:12.

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    One of these years, I think an RDF team should push for this.
    Do any RDF teams take part in any of the DF events?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
      Do any RDF teams take part in any of the DF events?
      Are they invited??

Bare in mind, we have separate "All Army" competitions.
      Last edited by SwiftandSure; 3 February 2012, 14:29.

Comment

Are they invited??

Bare in mind, we have separate "All Army" competitions.
        Don't be making we weren't invited excuses.
        Posters go up on notices boards in all barracks long before the events so there is no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodes View Post
          Don't be making we weren't invited excuses.
          Posters go up on notices boards in all barracks long before the events so there is no excuse.
          It's no excuse, it's a genuine question.

I don't know about any such competitions / challenges where the RDF can compete against the PDF.

Do the PDF run a similar competition to the Cambrian Patrol?

I'm not trying to get into an 'us v them' thread here Rhodes. If you know of such instances where the RDF are free to take part in PDF military skills competitions, then I'd like to hear about it. Whether post it or PM me, I don't mind.

The reason I'd like to see the RDF compete in the Cambrian Patrol is because I'm confident that the RDF has the talent within it to produce a team for it. It might not have a team within any given unit, but I'm sure each Bde could produce a decent pool of candidates and train a team that could pull it off.
          Moreover, I'd like to see how the RDF stands among other Army Reserves from foreign military forces. Were it to do well, I think it would give the lads a much needed lift, and something to aspire to.

Comment

First obstacle is having a CO with balls big enough to request permission for uniformed members to take part in an overseas military competition.
            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Not to cast a cloud over things, because I'd love to get involved in this, but, what are the barriers to an RDF unit taking part, assuming they have a team.

Logistical barriers, barriers stemming from regulation etc.
              Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

It looks like all you need is to get approval from higher authority.

Personally I would prefer to see more interaction between PDF and RDF or RDF involvement in similar event with the PDF. There has been a lot of strides in relation to this with regard to DFAA competitions. Most orienteering and adventure type events are open to both PDF & RDF. At least my unit is getting notified of them and have participated with out any issue. And as we now use the same weapons it is about time that the All Army was in fact All Army.

Comment

most of us have plenty of mates in the PDF and vice versa... so why not put together irish teams taken from across the force... mixing RDF and PDF personel into one team? i know of 2 in the aercorps and 2 in the navy (1 officer) who would be interested in taking part, and a couple of army officers as well as the crazy bad ass section of corporals in my own rdf unit.
                  "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

If you know of such instances where the RDF are free to take part in PDF military skills competitions, then I'd like to hear about it. Whether post it or PM me, I don't mind.
                    Wilco.
                    Like I said keep an eye out for posters on notices boards in barracks.

Comment

there's stuff up on all of the tv screens all the time, we (rdf) always see it but if im honest, then to date i dont remember anyone of us paying enough attention to enter one of them or even enquire about it, except ARW selection course!!! everyone wants to try that one out !?

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Edmund Blackadder View Post
                        Not to cast a cloud over things, because I'd love to get involved in this, but, what are the barriers to an RDF unit taking part, assuming they have a team.

Logistical barriers, barriers stemming from regulation etc.

I'll have to look into it again, but last time I read the application, I think each team needed to provide it's own Tpt to host barracks (Transits on the ferry bascially), have it's own NVE, possibly PRRs etc. So I'd imagine there'd a need one seriously lenient Q to let some of that gear out of the country.

That said, I think the biggest thing holding the RDF back is the will to do it from the upper echelons.

There's nothing to stop the RDF holding a competition to get on the team between now and lets say May, and then between May and Oct, put together a rigorous training programme to get the boys up to speed.

The one thing that I think will be a problem is the ranks. The patrol has to have 6 Ptes I think. Which means that you'll be looking for fairly nifty and experienced Ptes that haven't already been lured onto the promotion ladder.

Comment

Will DF vehicles be allowed go to the UK?

What about the issues regarding weapons?
                          Will we be allowed bring our own, and if so, how? If not, how is an RDF unit expected to be able to use the British Platforms?

Will our radios work with the BOWMAN?
                          Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.

Comment

joining information for international patrols
                            http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen..._Entries-U.pdf

and example of whats expected on the patrol
                            http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/gen...SO2_G7_Trg.pdf

For god sake lads! read the instructions!!!!

Brit weapons and equipment will be issued
                            satellite phones will be issued
                            training on british weapons to be provided by hosting unit prior to the ex (its an ex, not a competition)

final point... cambrian patrol was first set up by a TA unit.

Like to help set up the Hibernian Patrol anyone?
                            Takes place in the wicklow mountains over a couple of days?
                            Involves teams from RDF PDF and international units?
                            Last edited by morpheus; 3 February 2012, 16:19.

Comment

No, we'd be using their weapons and sat phones instead of BOWMAN. We'd have to carry a bag of ballast to simulate the Bowman though.

You'd have up to 4 days with host unit to get on the range with SA80 and Minimis to familiarise with them.

I don't think there'd be an issue with DF vehicles going to the UK, if they're expected. Open to correction on that.

Comment

Working...
                              X