Cambrian Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
    Like to help set up the Hibernian Patrol anyone?
    Takes place in the wicklow mountains over a couple of days?
    Involves teams from RDF PDF and international units?
    Would be an interesting Ex. But would the RDF honestly have the depth of experience to host such an event??

In which case, that would leave it to the PDF to come up with that initiative, run it, and let the reservists play too.

I'd love to have a crack at something like the Cambrian Patrol, if not the Cambrian Patrol itself.

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
      Are they invited??

Bare in mind, we have separate "All Army" competitions.
      nobody is invited.

you apply just like everyone else.

everyone is welcome and you will be accepted if you meet the criteria and apply - fact.

with my help, some RDF / PDF members of IMO tried this last year - i had the Royal Irish Regiment willing to host any team from the PDF / RDF but they couldn't get their act together.

we also have many many 'All Army' competitions and we still host it and participate in the competition, while also at war.

i'm not pushing things my end and wasting our soldiers and officers time until you guys get the green light confirmed your end.

good luck.
      Last edited by RoyalGreenJacket; 3 February 2012, 18:10.
      RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Would be an awesome experience for anyone regardless of professionalism. Wouldn't mind doing itself but will be occupied with pre deployment training.

Comment

What is preventing us (realistically - not excuses but)?:

cost - transport, rations, mandays?
          pre-training - time, experience
          fitness
          you need to bring your own night sights (and optional PRRs)

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post

fitness
            just send a van full of lads over.

surely the Irish DF will allow a minibus to be sent over with a well trained RDF / PDF team.

other nations do it no problem, the Italians in particular are regular attenders.

it's a fantastic competition and i recommend every serving soldier out there to do it at least once in their lifetime.

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

There is also the fact that very few in the PDF trust the RDF.

I'm sure a PDF team would give a very good account of themselves.

There are little things - who pays for the fuel the minibus uses - it would be extremely hard to justify

Comment

There is also the fact that very few in the PDF trust the RDF.

I'm sure a PDF team would give a very good account of themselves.

There are little things - who pays for the fuel the minibus uses - it would be extremely hard to justify
                are you for real?

it is an EXERCISE. the Irish DF pay for it just like they pay for every other bit of fuel every one of their vehicles burn regardless of where they are or what they are doing so long as it is an authorised journey.

i cannot believe that fuel is even a consideration!

jesus wept.
                RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

when your transport budget (for POL) is being cut for normal training - it is an issue

your also talking ferry journey/flights - they all cost - even if it is €15 each

Comment

Invite a BA/TA outfit to a comparable ex/comp etc here and as these things go a unit here will beinvited there on a recipracal basis.It will start small but if properly nurtured and taken seriously it will evolve into something worthwhile and serve to break the thought barriers currently impeding such contact.

Comment

There is no similar competition here!

Cambrian Patrol isn't just a turn up ex, it is taxing!

Comment

I accept that,start small with sports/soccer and then evolve into "orienteering" exs.Get the MA/public to adjust to the concept of the mutual visits no diff to navy ships visiting.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                          nobody is invited.
                          Fair one, "Invited" was an incorrect use of phrase. What I meant is, was it open to the RDF candidacy?

fitness
                          Let's be honest, if someone up high poopoo'd a legitimate attempt to participate in the Cambrian Patrol based on logistical/cost reasons, then we may as well all give up. I'd weep for the future of the RDF in that case. If we as a nation, as a Defence Force, cannot afford to put 10 or so lads on a bus to UK for a week on a military training exercise that would only benefit the organisation in terms of experience, interoperability with foreign forces, and PR, then what's the point in it us putting on the uniform?

Personally, I'd like to see one unit take this on. Provide a support team (SNCO + a driver maybe), elect an Offr who's switched on to fúck, a Cpl who is the same, and hold a Bde wide competition to get the 6 Ptes needed.

Then I'd want to see a training programme put together incorporating all the skills necessary for the Patrol: Recce, CASEVAC, VP, water obstacle crossing, night navigation, 8 man SIA, etc. 2x weeks FTT and a few weekends should cover it if planned correctly.

The kit is there, the lads are there, the man days are there and we have the perfect training grounds too.

All that's needed is leadership and the will to see it happen. And while I have my reservations about what the RDF is capable of, I'm convinced that we wouldn't let ourselves down on this event.

Comment

when your transport budget (for POL) is being cut for normal training - it is an issue

your also talking ferry journey/flights - they all cost - even if it is €15 each
                            Dev, we are talking about sending 10 men to England / Wales for a couple of days - absolutely pittance.

i can't believe such a tiny expense could even be considered at any level - the training value alone should be what people are looking at.

we go all over the world at the drop of a hat and the cost hardly ever comes into it unless we are moving heavy armour etc.

if the cost and logistics of such a tiny venture is the slightest issue - then things are far worse than i thought.

i'd say you are blowing this out of proportion, but given how last years effort to send a team failed miserably, i'm afraid i'm inclined to believe you.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
                              cannot afford to put 10 or so lads on a bus to UK for a week on a military training exercise that would only benefit the organisation in terms of experience, interoperability with foreign forces, and PR, then what's the point in it us putting on the uniform?
                              I'm not disagreeing but why go to the cost of this when we could use the money to improve the training of a larger number of people.

In the good times when there was plenty of mandays, it could have been a runner.

Members of the RDF did British Army Orienteering Planning (etc) courses a few years ago.
                              hold a Bde wide competition to get the 6 Ptes needed.

2x weeks FTT and a few weekends should cover it if planned correctly.

The kit is there, the lads are there, the man days are there
                              Thing of the logistics of getting 1 pte from Wexford, 1 from Cork, 1 from Limerick, 1 from West Kerry etc etc to Cork to do a training weekend. It does happen for other courses yes but.....

Are the mandays there? I think you will find that units can't get 2 weeks FTT.

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
                              Dev, we are talking about sending 10 men to England / Wales for a couple of days - absolutely pittance.

i can't believe such a tiny expense could even be considered at any level - the training value alone should be what people are looking at.

we go all over the world at the drop of a hat and the cost hardly ever comes into it unless we are moving heavy armour etc.

if the cost and logistics of such a tiny venture is the slightest issue - then things are far worse than i thought.

i'd say you are blowing this out of proportion, but given how last years effort to send a team failed miserably, i'm afraid i'm inclined to believe you.
                              RGJ you have no idea the financial pressure the RDF is under.

Comment

I suppose it comes down to the will of whoever's leading it then Dev. If you want to avoid the cost of a competition, then let the patrol commander hand pick his guys based on previous experience. Failing that, appeal to other units to recommend their best men for consideration. Where there's a will, there's a way.

As for the cost. If 58Bn can themselves get to New York to represent the RDF, then I'm sure the lads wouldn't object to buying a ferry ticket to Wales if the DF are too cheap to do so. I know I would.
                                Last edited by SwiftandSure; 4 February 2012, 11:46.

Comment

Working...
                                X