Cambrian Patrol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SwiftandSure View Post
    I suppose it comes down to the will of whoever's leading it then Dev. If you want to avoid the cost of a competition, then let the patrol commander hand pick his guys based on previous experience. Failing that, appeal to other units to recommend their best men for consideration. Where there's a will, there's a way.

As for the cost. If 58Bn can themselves get to New York to represent the RDF, then I'm sure the lads wouldn't object to buying a ferry ticket to Wales if the DF are too cheap to do so. I know I would.
    no no no no no - don't even go there.

this is an international military exercise held on your own door step.

there is absolutely no way private funding should be considered for such an event.

participation in the exercise should be proposed to a unit OC, he should approve it and that is your authority to do everything at public expense.

if we ever had to consider costs incurred at this level then we would never get anything done.

it is arduous military training in which the men will represent their country.

just send any section from a decent Recce Platoon and you will do well - that's all we did when i did it and we got a Silver.

i can't believe we are even having this conversation about 'cost' when it would cost feck all to conduct such an exercise - we host you and we support you - you just have to get here, fcuk the cost because it's feck all anyhow.
    RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

RGJ, if units are struggling to transport their troops to the Range for ARP, let alone parade night, do you seriously think funding would be available for a jolly to the UK?
      Cambrian Patrol is not recognised as bone fide training ex this side of the pond, no more than a para jump in Texel is recognised as a military parachute jump.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
        RGJ, if units are struggling to transport their troops to the Range for ARP, let alone parade night, do you seriously think funding would be available for a jolly to the UK?
        Cambrian Patrol is not recognised as bone fide training ex this side of the pond, no more than a para jump in Texel is recognised as a military parachute jump.
        Goldie, its worse than i thought.

i give up on this.

good luck with Cambrian Patrol 2012.

however, if a team can be confirmed and needs a British Army sponsor then drop me a line and i'll see what i can do.
        RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

As for the cost. If 58Bn can themselves get to New York to represent the RDF, then I'm sure the lads wouldn't object to buying a ferry ticket to Wales if the DF are too cheap to do so. I know I would.
          The difference is they aren't looking to bring ordnance with them!

Originally posted by RoyalGreenJacket View Post
          there is absolutely no way private funding should be considered for such an event.

participation in the exercise should be proposed to a unit OC, he should approve it and that is your authority to do everything at public expense.
          +1

Comment

I'm not sure how it works, but is this something that any firm would be able (or prepared) to sponsor? Again, I don't know how feasible or appropriate it would be, but has anybody thought of it?
            'He died who loved to live,' they'll say,
            'Unselfishly so we might have today!'
            Like hell! He fought because he had to fight;
            He died that's all. It was his unlucky night.
            http://www.salamanderoasis.org/poems...nnis/luck.html

Comment

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
              I'm not sure how it works, but is this something that any firm would be able (or prepared) to sponsor? Again, I don't know how feasible or appropriate it would be, but has anybody thought of it?
              i have a good idea - how about the Irish DF sponsor it?
              RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DeV View Post
                The difference is they aren't looking to bring ordnance with them!
                What difference does it make whether the kit goes to the Glen, the UK, or Leb? If it's signed for, then it's accounted for surely?

Originally posted by Flamingo View Post
                Can't see that being a runner unfortunately. Can you imagine the looks we'd get if the Irish Reserve Defence Forces rocked up in a "Paddy Wagon" bus??

An initial quote for a transit van with 9 lads on the ferry to Holyhead (return) costs €920. Let's say it costs €200 in Fuel for the van (it shouldn't, but let's assume it does). PRRs, NVE, soft ordnance, costs nothing to issue out. 16x ration packs (I dunno what they cost individually). Pay for 1x CS (Sp team), 1x Lt, 1x Cpl, and 6x Ptes is €4,361.22.

So the cost of this venture would be around €6000. Considering that all the ammo, pyro, Tpt, etc is provided for coustesy of HM Forces, I'd consider that investment as value for money considering what the team and the RDF as a whole get out of it! But then I would say that.

Comment

you've pretty much confirmed that the cost and logistics for this venture is absolutely feck all, but the benefits are massive.

i really really really hope you [someone] over there can do it.
                  RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

fecks sake even the Greek Army can afford to do it:

RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

you've pretty much confirmed that the cost and logistics for this venture is absolutely feck all, but the benefits are massive.

i really really really hope you [someone] over there can do it.
                      That amount is what some units spend in a year on transport.

Comment

That amount is what some units spend in a year on transport.
                        But that's not the cost of just Tpt. It's pay, rations, fuel, and ferry fare.

Comment

But that's not the cost of just Tpt. It's pay, rations, fuel, and ferry fare.
                          its 10 men in a van to the UK - for fecks sake!
                          RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

sorry - just still cant believe cost is actually an issue here.
                            RGJ

The Rifles

Comment

sorry - just still cant believe cost is actually an issue here.
                              Welcome to the economy. If the Gardai can't afford to replace 150 of their clapped out patrol cars that all have 300000km on them......

Comment

The problem will be getting permission. The cost won't really come into play.

Comment

Working...
                                X